Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Katchina  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2008 23:51:43(UTC)
Katchina

Hi there,

With one F7 fixed and another on the way (not counting various other machines that I'll have to fix later) I'm now looking at my turnouts. They're all equipped with solenoids and seem in working conditions.

I'd like to use single under-track decoders for each turnout since the layout is everything but permanent a this stage. Apparently this means Marklin k73 / 6073 decoders...

Question, though, where to buy them (or similar decoders) nowadays, as they seem not to be available from M* anymore ?

EDIT : Bogobit.de says Viessman 5231 are similar... But I see at lokshop.de that those are supposed to be used with C-track... Has anybody got any experience using them with M-track turnouts ? What about crossing-turnouts, will they fit ?
Offline dntower85  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2008 00:45:31(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
did you mean K83???
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Katchina  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2008 09:11:00(UTC)
Katchina

Nope... k83 is the small decoder box placed under the layout for controlling 4 turnouts. I'm lookint into decoders that integrate under the turnout railbed (possible with M-track and C-track) because as I said the layout is small and not permanent.
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2008 12:41:16(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
You can use a 74460 decoder. It is designed for C-track, but is probably not so difficult to modify. There is a red and a brown wire with connectors for the C-track and a 3-pole connector for the turnout motor. If you solder the red & brown to your M-track and the connect the 3 wires from the turnout motor to the 3 wires from the decoder it works just like the old k73.

By the way there is a very favourably priced bundle with a decoder + turnout motor. Not such a big surprise that the parts from these bundles can be found on ebay...
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Renato  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2008 14:53:04(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
You must isolate the 74460 decoder to prevent damages caused by contact to the metal track (it is design to be put in the plastic roadbed of the C tracks.

Renato
Offline Katchina  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2008 15:21:45(UTC)
Katchina

So I take it that the decoder specs for M-Track anc C-Track are similar (i.e. same operation of solenoids, thus no significant difference in decoder output).

And therefore only the electric isolation of decoder from metalic trackbed has to be taken care of when using these newer decoders from Marklin or Viessman.

Thanks for the M reference, will be useful if I cannot find the Viessman one.
Offline DasBert33  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2008 16:48:26(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Frankly I wouldnt bother with M-track anymore, especially for a non permanent layout. If you setup your layout a few times half of the tracks will be bend (like in my case ;) ). Buy some C-track, add some decoders and solenoids and be happy Smile

Bert
Offline Katchina  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2008 10:20:05(UTC)
Katchina

Hi there,

Well I have quite a lot of M-track, including solenoid-equipped turnouts. And I like re-using old stuff for various reasons (not that much for money saving, but mostly because of nostalgia and environmental issues).

Anyway, I'll try the Viessman decoder in my M-tracks. Of course, if/when I move to C-track I'll just re-use these decoders in the new turnouts.

Thanks for the advises anyway.

Jerome
Offline DasBert33  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2008 15:17:42(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Katchina
.. and environmental issues ...

If my trains have bad contact or derail that is also not good for my environment wink.
Offline sprogger  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2008 23:44:16(UTC)
sprogger

Jerome
Hi .. I am also an M track carpetbahn user (3 generations of Marklin means we have over 120 meters of track .. all working).. I did look at the same idea as you but the cost of K73 decoders (when they were available) made this idea somewhat expensive. The solution I implemented was to purchase the 60401 kit (keyboard with 4 x K83 decoders) .. I use half M track straights where I have installed power and earth outlets from the track to plug the K83 into and then can operate 4 turnouts in groups around the layout .. works just fine ..

An alternative I ran into while looking into this is Dr Konigs site ..

http://home.arcor.de/dr....nig/digital/ehomepag.htm

At the bottom of this page you will find instructions (for each M turnout its own decoder) on how to build your own K73 decoders (if you are electronicly inclined) .. was too complex for me

Cheers
Sprogger
Offline Katchina  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2008 11:07:14(UTC)
Katchina

I have successfully installed a Viessman 5231 into an old M-track turnout. I'll post a picture ASAP. It is DCC-controlled through my IntelliBox, although it also works with Motorola format if required.

My vendor asked about EUR 30 for this decoder, but I see lokshop.de has them for about EUR 15 so I'll order half a dozen of these quite soon. Yes it is more expensive than using k83 or similar modules, but having a self-controlled turnout allows for much easier layout re-arrangement wink