Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Davy  
#51 Posted : 14 February 2008 19:09:25(UTC)
Davy

I have 2 koffs which have on the box made in Germany Goppingen.

Trix modells are perhaps made in China not the Marklin ones. I have not seen one train from Marklin made in China yet.

And for the rest this all bulsh-t. Maybe there a couple of koffs which have problems with their paintjob. But if you see what is happening with older Roco trains then Marklin is still top of the bill.

M-track with a CS2.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#52 Posted : 14 February 2008 19:18:09(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Davy,

Zinkpest has nothing to do with paint. It is a serious failing of the metal. It crumbles away.

And the reason you think you have not seen Märklin models made in China is most likely because there is no law in Europe that insists on showing the correct country of manufacture. Items sold in the USA have a sticker of the made in Germany print that says "Made in China". Why do you think that do that ?
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Guus  
#53 Posted : 14 February 2008 19:23:37(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Over time there's been quite some debate over the" made in China" issue.

From what I seem to understand,there's a considerable difference in the legislation on this topic between the European and the US governments.
While in Europe we may be happy with a label "made in Germany" this "statement" may be a legal offence in the US when that isn't entirely true.
So your Köf might well have been finished/assembled and packed in Göppingen and labeled as "made in Germany",but a large part of that loco may still have been made in China.
And that's where I think the differences between the way we see it stem from

Kind regards
Guus

edited:once again a posting that crossed another one.Sorry Dale couldn't help!
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Davy  
#54 Posted : 14 February 2008 19:24:15(UTC)
Davy

Don't worry about laws is something made in China then they have to put this one the loc.

But they are not made in China only the decoder is made in China.

M-track with a CS2.
Offline Guus  
#55 Posted : 14 February 2008 19:43:42(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
The Zinc corrosion topic is also"hot" on the HAG forum.

I know there are quite a few members here that can read German,so i thought you may like this reference to the HAG forum.There's a very informative link to a scientific explanation on Zink corrossion to be found in the first posting on this topic there.

http://www.forum.hag-info.ch/viewtopic.php?t=671

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Davy  
#56 Posted : 14 February 2008 19:52:36(UTC)
Davy

I have 80 locs from Marklin some are more then 40 years old and not one has zinkpest.

I think the chance you get a car incident is lot bigger then you ever will get a koff with zinkpest.

So I really think this treat is bullsh-t.

But if you have your locs in a room where it can get more then 40 degrees celsius and in the sun then you will get this kind of malformations their you can bet up.

M-track with a CS2.
Offline David Dewar  
#57 Posted : 14 February 2008 20:49:13(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The made in China thing keeps coming up. All I know is if you live in the USA or Britain then the country where the goods are made must be stated on the box and /or on the article itself. What happens in other European countries I dont know. It is the same with manufacturer warranties, they are pointless here and I expect in many other countries where the sale of goods law is the only thing that counts.
As I said earlier I dont really see a problem with the Marklin Kofs in general but as 7 Gauges has said he has seven of them made in China but many European countries other than the UK appear not have a legal requirement as to where their stuff is made.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Unholz  
#58 Posted : 14 February 2008 22:07:48(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus
<br />The Zinc corrosion topic is also"hot" on the HAG forum.

In all fairness: while we had been aware of this problem for quite some time on the HAG forum, it was actually this thread here on the marklin-users.net forum that really ignited the fire.

This is an upsetting topic that really should concern all of us, and thus Davy's comments above are most inappropriate.
Offline Purellum  
#59 Posted : 14 February 2008 22:10:11(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
From Guus: The link from the HAG-forum: http://www.8703.ch/train...fo/zinkkorrosion_hag.pdf

@Davy: It is not Bull****!

I have seen this many times; on many different items; but never on any model-train.

The reason for me, not to have seen it happen on trains, is the storrage.

Per.

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#60 Posted : 15 February 2008 16:08:58(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Interesting how a few issues can cause such a debate and some hindsight when "everything seemed to have been better" (read: production in Germany, no outsourcing existing, yet). Just one thing I'd like to add to the discussion; sure it is bad when such a clear quality issue occurs: bit it hasn't necessarily been better in history. The only clear difference is the availability of information on such issues, ten years ago, I wouldn't have known about this issue, but now, having the net and communities like this one, we simply know earlier when something went wrong and as a result, some people percieve that the number of defects has increased largely. I still doubt that...

Alright, that's just my pennies worth.
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline 7gauges  
#61 Posted : 15 February 2008 16:46:24(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Related to "Made in China" YES - especially in spite of all the outsourcing which is a well known and popular theme in our countries.

IMHO it's funny anyways that complaints about any such production places primarily comes from those (people/countries) who claim to know it already since years - here we really don't care very much.

Yes, "not caring much" where it is made and how it is manufactured (all for the sake of a lower price) has been one of the many causes of the decline of the German industrial manufacturing sector, in recent history ......Cool

It is also ridiculous to assume these are counterfeit models - there is a limited profit margin on these low cost models (the Koef)to begin with - the big money is in counterfeiting the expensive models.

Just accept the fact that outsourced Marklin manufacturing in Asia has at some point not been subject to rigorous quality controls - and forget the true BS about these being counterfeit models ... in fact that is just about the most inane excuse I have heard for poor quality on this particular brand.

Interestingly, however all of the recent Miniclub stuff (which now <u>all</u> comes out of China) has been of exceptional quality ... it is pretty clear that the outsourced manufacturing in China occurs at two entirely different sites.wink

Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
Offline David Dewar  
#62 Posted : 15 February 2008 18:03:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Posted by 7 Gauges

Yes, "not caring much" where it is made and how it is manufactured (all for the sake of a lower price) has been one of the many causes of the decline of the German industrial manufacturing sector, in recent history ......Cool

It is also ridiculous to assume these are counterfeit models - there is a limited profit margin on these low cost models (the Koef)to begin with - the big money is in counterfeiting the expensive models.

Just accept the fact that outsourced Marklin manufacturing in Asia has at some point not been subject to rigorous quality controls - and forget the true BS about these being counterfeit models ... in fact that is just about the most inane excuse I have heard for poor quality on this particular brand.

Interestingly, however all of the recent Miniclub stuff (which now <u>all</u> comes out of China) has been of exceptional quality ... it is pretty clear that the outsourced manufacturing in China occurs at two entirely different sites.wink

Most firms in Germany now realise the problems they have and are improving but where they can get away with stamping made in germany a toy maker probably will.
I also agree that there are some excellent goods coming from China (present Brawa) and as you can confirm mini club stuff.
I am sure Marklin do care about their customers and will do their best to improve both quality and profitability. As I said many months ago they (M) were purchased as an investment and we have to accept that this will mean reducing costs where possible.

I think this thread may be creating a problem which apart from in very rare cases does not exisit.
I hope all you KOFs are still going well.

David

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Pianne  
#63 Posted : 15 February 2008 19:25:27(UTC)
Pianne

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 7gauges
<br />It is also ridiculous to assume these are counterfeit models - there is a limited profit margin on these low cost models (the Koef)to begin with - the big money is in counterfeiting the expensive models.
Good point![^]

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 7gauges
<br />Just accept the fact that outsourced Marklin manufacturing in Asia has at some point not been subject to rigorous quality controls...
Why is it that when a quality issue occurs, everyone jumps to the conclusion that the Chinese are to blame? IMHO this kind of problem can just as well occur on a product that was completely manufactured in Germany (or anywhere in the world for that matter). In fact, where I work we have to deal with a lot of quality issues from our European suppliers (including Germany). Cutting costs is done everywhere and not always without touching quality.
In the end, Marklin is responsible for quality control, raw materials used and the manufacturing process, wherever the product is made.

Just my 2 cents!Cool
Kind regards,
Pieter-Jan
Bruges, Belgium.
Offline klinge-germany  
#64 Posted : 15 February 2008 19:33:48(UTC)
klinge-germany

well, after having problems with two new class 44's from last year(see topic greatest HO flops) i had to face the problem with the 36805, my one from early 2002 delivery has 'zincpest'. only thanks to this and other forums i have been informed about this problem, up to now there is no 'official' statement from maerklin. I think that at least a big amount of 36805 has this problem, maybe some of us here have more luck than me or are missing good eyeglasses, which are very useful to discover the first symptoms...(best greetings to Lutz...). i sent my 36805 today to maerklin goeppingen and i am waiting for their reaction.(BTW i still wait for their reaction to my both defective class 44's...).
I think maerklin now has to react to the problem with the 36805's, they will know the serialnumbers which are infected with zincpest much more better than all of us,of course it is not such an amount of merchandise that they have to publish this in newspapers but i think they should have an entry on their website AND on their 'classic' paper 'maerklin magazin' with the next issue. this behaviour would calm down the community and show that they care for their products.
but i fear nothing will happen......
alfred
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline 60904  
#65 Posted : 15 February 2008 22:14:49(UTC)

Germany   
but i fear nothing will happen......
alfred

You may fear this, but whenever there was a problem in the past, they settled it. 4 out 7 Sinus 2 engines are back now and the electronic parts have been updated or exchanged. V90, E10.3, and VT798 are running fine now. I am still waiting for the VT08, 39572 and HWZ.
So thaks to Marklin for their good service. I am sure that all the owners of that KÖf will be helped.
Greetings
Martin
Offline Michael.Frey  
#66 Posted : 15 February 2008 22:44:50(UTC)
Michael.Frey

My 36805, Serial Number H1047498 shows nearly the same symptoms as Reijer´s Loco.
Offline Webmaster  
#67 Posted : 15 February 2008 22:57:07(UTC)
Webmaster

Friendly advice from Webmaster...

Please don't quote pictures in topic replies unless it is a relevant detail you wish to point out...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline laalves  
#68 Posted : 15 February 2008 23:31:20(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 60904
<br />4 out 7 Sinus 2 engines are back now and the electronic parts have been updated or exchanged. V90, E10.3, and VT798 are running fine now. I am still waiting for the VT08, 39572 and HWZ.

Well, that seems to be happening in Germany only and under secrecy to those outside Germany. They actually deny this to non-German dealers. So much for Märklin service.
Offline laalves  
#69 Posted : 15 February 2008 23:41:26(UTC)
laalves

Here's the reply my dealer got on 16/01/2008, regarding the c-sine campaign:

“Dear Mr. Antunes,

there is no ongoing upgrade campaign for the C-Sinus motor.
New locos of course have the new motor.

Best regards“

I sent two compact c-sine loks in October complaining about running characteristics. I got them back, untouched, with an "individual" response letter saying there would be a campaign, starting in the end of 2007. In January they deny that, while taking care of German clients. I wonder what is going on?
Offline john black  
#70 Posted : 16 February 2008 02:33:24(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by laalves
<br />I wonder what is going on?

What's going on ???! They're sending us in circles, Luis. As always ... biggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Purellum  
#71 Posted : 16 February 2008 05:14:01(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
4 am in Europe:

In the absence of Lutz, I would like to point out,
that I never experienced any circles in any of my trains,
nor was I ever sent in any circles by Märklin.

My layout is a circle, and I send my trains in cirles; but this is solely
my decision, and I see no reason whatsoever to blame Märklin for this.

Per.

P.S: Counterfeit models, or anything else, from the correct mould?
Either thrown out by the quality control or stolen, and then
build by employees, taking the rest of the parts elsewhere.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Dutchman  
#72 Posted : 16 February 2008 14:16:34(UTC)
Dutchman

Werter 60904,
Smile
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 60904
<br />but i fear nothing will happen......
alfred

You may fear this, but whenever there was a problem in the past, they settled it. 4 out 7 Sinus 2 engines are back now and the electronic parts have been updated or exchanged. V90, E10.3, and VT798 are running fine now. I am still waiting for the VT08, 39572 and HWZ.
So thaks to Marklin for their good service. I am sure that all the owners of that KÖf will be helped.

I hope so..........
This is the first time in my Märklincareer (at this time 47 years together!) that I was writing-off a Märklinlok as total loss!
When Märklin is not restituting my money or replace this lok with another one, I will be very much disappointed.
In the past time they were always very coulant.

With greetings from the Netherlands,
Dutchman
Offline klinge-germany  
#73 Posted : 16 February 2008 15:41:44(UTC)
klinge-germany

hello lutz, your statement :
PS: I see no reason why Märklin would want to post anything on their website (all those "great" forums in the world do this already; someone not using i-net would not know it anyways ) or any other medium, unless they have made a decision which they deem important to be known by all their customers. If a customer has a problem with a model she/he can claim it; the corresponding, individual response is what counts for her/him, nothing else.

exactly says why maerklin should publish the problem, only owners of the 36805 which use internetforums are now aware of the problem, i think there are many owners of the 36805 which are not members here or elsewhere.
and they should do it in advance before the problem will be published in other publications (MIBA for example), that would be good for their reputation.
i would have never noticed the problem without the forum here, you can't see it at a first glance when you look at the KÖF, only the falling out bumpers are another sign of it. and in another 6 years period from now on the model would fall into dust after unpacking from the box....

let's see (and hope)....
alfred
Offline mjrallare  
#74 Posted : 18 February 2008 13:41:23(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
PS: Another point is the factory warranty. Although it includes manufacturing issues this warranty is knowingly limited to 24 month. Thus, for models purchased 6 or 7 years ago it should be very clear that it is always a discrete and graceful decision of the company to accept any today's complaint; regardless whether the product was used after its purchase by the customer or not.

I think it's good of Märklin to replace the affected models without any "fine-print" discussion (at Stummi's one can read that this is clearly what they do).
But it's really time for Märklin to change the warranty time to five or even 10 years. For a company with confidence in their products this shouldn't be a problem. Last summer I bought a rather cheap fishing-reel for my son. It had a five year warranty...

/Torbjörn
Offline mjrallare  
#75 Posted : 18 February 2008 14:04:20(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
PS: I see no reason why Märklin would want to post anything on their website (all those "great" forums in the world do this already; someone not using i-net would not know it anyways Cool) or any other medium, unless they have made a decision which they deem important to be known by all their customers. If a customer has a problem with a model she/he can claim it; the corresponding, individual response is what counts for her/him, nothing else.

I have a lot to say about the Märklin communication departement, but I'll save some of it to another post.
Regarding what's been said above, I can just say that any company having the above attitude towards customer relations will, and indeed should, perish...

Sander has a good point when talking about the change of communications. Information spreads extremely fast these days. For good and for worse. Just look at the stock-markets.

But this is how it is, and it's Märklin who has to adopt to this! They must simply be more "transparent" in questions like this and show that they do care about their customers and their problems. That doesn't mean that they have to react to every rumour, but when there is a problem with any substans to it, they must get some information out. Stopping or clearifying rumours can only be of benefit to them in the long run.

And finally, the e-mail service... If you don't have time to answer the e-mails, close the service down until you do have the time. This is a service every modern company thinks it must have. But as it is today, it's just "badwill" for Märklin.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic.

/Torbjörn
Offline eduard71  
#76 Posted : 27 February 2008 05:57:37(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Dear All,
I am the owner of the kof with the problem of zinkpest presented on the spanish forum.
I have read all your comments and I like to let you know this facts:
1.- The train was bought in USA (Miami) in a Märklin dealer.
2.- It is not a fake one, it is an original Märklin product.
3.- The box has a label with Made in Chine on it. I can send photos if you like to see it.
4.- I am located in Venezuela, in Caracas city where the weather is about 22-28 C° almost all the year and there is not much humedity.
5.- I have 152 Märklin locos, from different years, some came from my father's collection (years 60-70) and this is the first time I see a problem like this.
6.- I have made contact with Märklin USA and the told me to send the loco to the service department of Märklin in Germany, they will review the case.

Now I can see that I am not the only one with this problem. I hope Märklin will solve the problem. My recomendation is to send the loco with zinkpest to the service department in Germany.

Best regards
Eduardo Palacios
Caracas-Venezuela
Offline klinge-germany  
#77 Posted : 27 February 2008 11:34:30(UTC)
klinge-germany

hello eduardo,
i followed the recommendation to send it to maerklin service one week ago, i will post the result immendiately when i get an answer. your problem will be the high postage from venezuela to germany....reading some forums about this problem, we can be sure that the koef's are made in china, although the boxes of the koefs sold in germany state 'made in germany', if only 8% of the worth of the merchandise is sourced in germany you are allowed here to write 'made in germany'...no further comment about this.
personnally i do not insist on 'made in germany' or whereever, but this is a high-price product and i insist on quality...
good luck
alfred
Offline steventrain  
#78 Posted : 27 February 2008 18:47:11(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum, eduardo.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline 60904  
#79 Posted : 27 February 2008 19:06:19(UTC)

Germany   
36804: Made in Germany.
Greetings
Martin
Offline xxup  
#80 Posted : 27 February 2008 23:33:37(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Hello Eduardo and welcome to the forum.. I hope that now you have joined us you will be able to hang around with us.

Thanks for providing the information about this interesting problem.. It is great to get this information from the source.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline eduard71  
#81 Posted : 28 February 2008 16:25:04(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Thank you all for the welcome. Now I am very concernd with the probabilitie that other models can have zinkpest. I hope that this will be only for this kof. I will be watching my colletion specialy for all items bought since 2001.

Best ragards
Eduardo Palacios
Offline klinge-germany  
#82 Posted : 28 February 2008 17:20:28(UTC)
klinge-germany

eduardo,i think we all hope that this will be strictly limited to the 36805 and that not all of them are infected. but i think you should read the forum here from time to time to be kept informed.
martin : the box in germany states 'made in germany' but have a look at my last post here re the '8%' rule.
alfred
Offline jvuye  
#83 Posted : 03 March 2008 20:23:29(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi folks
For being involved for many years with old Marklin restorations, the basic cause for zinkpest to appear comes simply from the quality/purity of the material used during the injection process.
It is possible that, regardless of where it was produced, the material used in a few batches of Köfs was defective and in short time triggered the onset of the "disease", as the ambient humidity reacts with teh contaminants (essentially SO2), creating sulfuric acid which breaks the metal particles down into white powder.
There is no cure, but it can be stopped by simply sealing the entire surface of the incriminated part.
Not always possible, but I have had durable success (Over 20 years) by immersing the parts into highly liquid/ high temperature epoxy mix, then let it cure after wiping up the excess.
Marklin has never been prompt to acknowledge a problem like this, but if they want to prove they are really in the 21st Century in terms of customer satisfaction, they should have put in place a replacement program.
Maybe some of our friend here, "close to the factory" could enlighten us.
Marklin-cinically and -clinically yours
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline jonquinn  
#84 Posted : 06 March 2008 04:05:50(UTC)
jonquinn

there's a small Brawa SBB rangier locomotive (TE'' or soemthign like that) on ebay as of 3/5/08, for marklin AC. the seller noted and showed photos of some odd surface anomalies (looks like a subsurface crack), that may be zinc pest. the box says the shell is made of zinc.
I don't know when it would have been made (I think its digital so not too old). perhaps if the root cause/source is brawa (for the KOF's too), then they must have used some impure Zinc, or left a lot of slag run into the injection molds. I didn't see anything on the box to say where it was made. I don't know at what point, or maybe always, brawa made its products in china.
Shame its a bad one most likely. I would like to get one of these little switching locomotives. Maybe marklin or Hag will make one of their own someday soon (and use good raw materials - no chinese).
Offline Unholz  
#85 Posted : 06 March 2008 07:43:54(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jonquinn
<br />Maybe marklin or Hag will make one of their own someday soon (and use good raw materials - no chinese).

HAG did make such a Te 2/2 switching loco a long time ago. It's a bit out of scale by today's standards, but cute and certainly without Zinkpest. The model often turns up on Ebay, but mostly for DC operation only.

See this example:
http://cgi.ebay.de/HAG-o...WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Offline Rhapsody  
#86 Posted : 13 March 2008 16:24:49(UTC)
Rhapsody

Hello,

have sent my broken köf to Göppingen (via dealer) and got back a new one.

Maybe important to mention: if you are capable, then take out the old decoder, because the new köf will be delivered with a one of lesser quality. (The old decoder is not for sale any more)
kind regards,
Rhapsody
Offline klinge-germany  
#87 Posted : 14 March 2008 11:45:32(UTC)
klinge-germany

so finally my 36805 has returned from M service, with the notice 'loco completely exchanged', and both my BR44 are back, too, from a so called 'service partner' of M. i have not documented for myself the serial number of my 36805 so i can't proof if i have got a complete other loco or not, but as stated in other threads, the decoder ist not the same as in my old one. the 'new' 36805 shows tracks of usage, the slider is clearly used. this weekend i will try to check all the repaired stuff, my lesson learned for the future : do not rely on the M quality which i was used to, check all items after arriving.
so i look forward the the pre-ordered 2008 new items....
again thanks to this forum for the notice here of problems with 36805, i would have noticed this for sure much time later....
alfred
alfred
Offline Davy  
#88 Posted : 14 March 2008 13:54:06(UTC)
Davy

I read on stummis's forum that Marklin is realy coulant and gives a great service if you have a loc with this problem.
M-track with a CS2.
Offline klinge-germany  
#89 Posted : 14 March 2008 16:58:46(UTC)
klinge-germany

of course i am happy with the service of M, but i would be happier if there would be no need for service, as it was for all my M items since 1960. and i am very unhappy feeling that many owners of the 36805 will recognize the problems much time later and then get no more exchange of the product by M, one reason can be that there is only a limited number of this version still in stock at M. and both problems with my BR44's are for sure due to a lack of 'end of productionline' control. in former years locos carried a tag proving this control...
alfred
Offline Rhapsody  
#90 Posted : 14 March 2008 21:03:12(UTC)
Rhapsody

In my opinon M* will be able to replace every loco that reaches them broken for future years. They already know how many are concerned and köfs will be produced in general so that only the obstacle of painting the right colour-variation remains, but that won’t be a real problem to them, if they haven’t completely lost their sense for good workmanship.
kind regards,
Rhapsody
Offline Unholz  
#91 Posted : 24 March 2008 21:40:02(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
This topic now seems to turn into a court case after Marklin apparently fired their "chief developer" a couple of weeks ago in connection with the Zinkpest discussion on the Internet.

Perhaps somebody is able to provide an English summary of this article that appeared today:

http://www.handelsblatt....an-maerklins-nerven.html
Offline Minibahn  
#92 Posted : 24 March 2008 23:45:03(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

this is the google translation, "nuclear" is the translation of Mr. Kern's name (:-) :

http://tinyurl.com/2x6lvj
Regards Charles
Offline 60904  
#93 Posted : 25 March 2008 00:12:17(UTC)

Germany   
Really good translation. So, why learn a language when you have google?
Greetings
Martin
Offline Vardex  
#94 Posted : 25 March 2008 01:09:05(UTC)
Vardex

Netherlands   
I sure hope Mr Kern isn't our friend Lutz.

Bart
Offline dntower85  
#95 Posted : 25 March 2008 01:17:52(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Vardex
<br />I sure hope Mr Kern isn't our friend Lutz.

Bart

me too but it
confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused
Seems that way.confusedconfusedconfusedconfused
confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused
But Lutz has posted many times since the article says Kern was fire on the 22 of Feb. So maybe not
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline trainbuff  
#96 Posted : 25 March 2008 02:03:51(UTC)
trainbuff

"As a reason for the shortcomings, the production shift from Göppingen to Eastern Europe and China suspects"

nice.
Offline TTRExpress  
#97 Posted : 25 March 2008 03:26:30(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
"Zinkpest" is an incurable disease that hopefully should now be eliminated from modern locomotives. Zinc pest is a form of intercrystalline corrosion. The process is accelerated by moisture in warm air and relative humidities of 65% or greater. Hydrogen released from water migrates into the grain boundaries of the zinc alloy and causes expansion which results in cracking along those grain boundaries.

Zinc can be alloyed with aluminum, magnesium, copper, lead and cadmium usually at levels less than 1%. Larger concentrations of iron, lead, cadmium and tin could have an adverse effect on corrosion resistance, which results in structural weakening of the die casting.

Two types of zinc alloy were developed. In the 1920's, ZAMAK (zinc-aluminum-magnesium-copper) and in the 1970's ZA (zinc-alumunium) were produced. The ZAMAK contains about 4% aluminum and are identified by their numbers 3,5 and 7.

Maerklin uses ZAMAK 410 which is like ZAMAK 3 or 5. ZAMAK 3 and 5 differ by the addition of 1% copper to the 5 to make it more ductile.

Permitted additives (= aimed added metals to reach around certain material properties) in cast alloys ZAMAK 3: Aluminum 3.8 to 4.3% copper up to 0,03% magnesium 0.03 to 0,06%.

Permitted impurities (= which one can still tolerate at impurities to hold around the costs of the production in the framework): Iron max. 0.1% nickel max. 0.02% manganese max. 0.01% lead max. 0.005% cadmium max. 0.005% tin max. 0,003%

Data suggests that higher levels of copper and lead in the zinc alloy aid the degradation. High levels of aluminum can cause oxidation to occur leading to rust.

Some people regard tin pest as the actual cause of zinc pest. With tin pest pure metallic beta-tin is converted below 13,2°C into non-metallic alpha-tin. Energy becomes free and the density falls, i.e. the volume grows. Because the content of tin is well under 1%, then the volume in the zinc alloy to cause zinc pest alone by tin is not really substantiated.

A comprehensive treatise on zinc pest is given by Peter Berg at
http://www.tischeisenbahn.de/Restauri/page4.htm

One can always get the metal analyzed using Wavelength or Energy Dispersive X-Ray Fluorescence (WD-or ED-XRF)to see whether or not you have a good metal alloy casting. If parts are being manufactured in China there is a good chance that lead levels will be high. As those of us here in the USA are fully aware there has been a plethora of childrens toys manufactured in China that have been recalled due to high lead levels.

Maerklin should have their Quality Control Department conduct routine WD-or ED-XRF analyses on their metal castings. These instruments cost anywhere from $25,000 up to over $100,000 depending on the sophistication of the analyses and detection limits required. There are now hand-held models that could easily be used to do rapid testing. For a reasonably minor investment in this technology Maerklin may save thousands of dollars and valued customers.

Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
Offline Guus  
#98 Posted : 25 March 2008 12:44:16(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Maurice,thank you very much for scientifically clarifying the phenomenon.

I thought by now the "Zinkpest" problem would belong to the past,especially to the late forties of the former century when good quality materials weren't readily available in Germany.

As to the possible firing of a high ranking development engineer I can only speculate that there's more behind that than a discussion on the Internet.
It all seems a little awkward to me.Are they searching for a scapegoat to put the blame on for less succesfull financial results than they had hoped for?

Just my two pennies.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline TTRExpress  
#99 Posted : 25 March 2008 15:22:17(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hi Guus,

Thanks for the nice comments. I know that some German TRIX Express and British TRIX Twin models suffered from "zinkpest" in the 1930's and 1940's. We know that it was due to inferior materials and supplies due to the war effort and its aftermath. In the major industrialized countries our metal processing technologies should have this under control. China is catching up but still has a long way to go in material selection and quality systems.

For Maerklin to fire a chief development engineer after 23 years of service certainly makes one wonder what is happening in Goppingen. Is there more to the story or was he the corporate scapegoat?

Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#100 Posted : 25 March 2008 15:49:15(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Maurice, all,

Very, very interesting part of information! Luckily, reading German is not a problem to me, so I had a look at the entire website you referred to. Thanks for sharing this magnificent piece of information.

@ All: I do recall seeing pictures of a Märklin Württemberger C (3511 or 3311/3611) with some weird bubbles in the paint, could it be that here also "Zinkfrass" present is? I'll try to find the picture and post it here...
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.