Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline arne  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2006 01:25:43(UTC)
arne

Hey,

I got one of Märklins K 84 decoders, in the manual there is a way to control the old metal turntable, art. no. 7186.

At Sean Fanelli's train page, I've found this scanned image with a way to control the 7186 turntable using the K 84 decoder.
http://www.polar.sunynas...lis/turntable_wiring.jpg

This way, doesn't seems to work for me, neither do the way described in the manual for the K 84 decoder. Do anyone else on this forum have the 7186 turntable together with a K 84 decoder?

When I put on the K 84 decoder, and when I'm pushing on buttons on the keyboard, I simply just hear a click each time, it does not matter which buttons I push on or if I take for the first or last. The only thing happening, is a click.

...do I have to modify the motor of the turntable, before I can use this way with the K 84 decoder?
Arne

Märklin H0, C & M Track, with Uhlenbrock's quality power and control.
Offline Zosch  
#2 Posted : 26 December 2006 22:47:31(UTC)
Zosch

Hi,

It's the firsttime that I heard that an old 7186 turntable will work with a K 84 decoder.

I'm pretty sure, that the motor of the turntable should be modified in a DC version and this is maybe not enough... then normally the turntable bridge permanently connect the track voltage to the chosen track.

It seems, that there is happen a mistake with the catalog number 7286 instead of 7186!?

Happy New Year

Roland

http://reichs-bahn.ch
Corresponding in English and German
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zosch
Offline Zosch  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2006 22:52:03(UTC)
Zosch

It's me again

The autor described the rebuilding of the turntable very detailed!
http://www.polar.sunynas....edu/~fanellis/turntable

The are several modifications needed before you can use the k84 decoder!
And in fact it is an old 7186 turntable and not a new one!!!

Greetings

Roland

http://reichs-bahn.ch
Corresponding in English and German
Offline Philip  
#4 Posted : 27 December 2006 00:18:05(UTC)
Philip

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by arne
<br />Hey,

I got one of Märklins K 84 decoders, in the manual there is a way to control the old metal turntable, art. no. 7186.

At Sean Fanelli's train page, I've found this scanned image with a way to control the 7186 turntable using the K 84 decoder.
http://www.polar.sunynas...lis/turntable_wiring.jpg

This way, doesn't seems to work for me, neither do the way described in the manual for the K 84 decoder. Do anyone else on this forum have the 7186 turntable together with a K 84 decoder?

When I put on the K 84 decoder, and when I'm pushing on buttons on the keyboard, I simply just hear a click each time, it does not matter which buttons I push on or if I take for the first or last. The only thing happening, is a click.

...do I have to modify the motor of the turntable, before I can use this way with the K 84 decoder?

Hey Arne.

I read the instruktion metionde in a later post, and to every one else i will try answering in danish to Arne, since it´s the nativ toung to both of us.

Hej Arne.
Sådan som jeg forstår diagrammet vælger du retning med den kontakt der styrre udgang fire, der efter skal du trykke på den kontakt der styrre udgang tre, så skulle drejeskiven kører. Når du så ønsker at stoppe den igen skal du trykke på kontakt tre igen, så skulle den stoppe ved næste spor. Alt dette forudsat at du har fuldt diagrammet nøje. Det er ikke nødvendigt at bygge motoren om. De røde forbindelser til opstillingssporene er for at du kan have lokomotiverne henstillet med lys, røg,lyd m.v. men disse forbindelser er teknisk se ikke nødvendige da broen burde forsyne det spor den er ud for.

Med venlig hilsen
Philip
Philip.

Let's keep it simple.
MFDWPL
Offline arne  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2006 18:39:41(UTC)
arne

Hi Zosch,

There is described a way (likely the one on Sean Fanelli's site). In the manual there is with the 6084 K 84 decoder I have. There's also something like the description Philip gave in Danish. But for me it doesn't work. I simply just hear a "click" when pushing any buttons on my (Intellibox)-Keyboard.

It is something like the direction should be connected to like the output 1 of the decoder, and then the third cable, the 'brown' one, should be connected to output 2. Then I could choose with red or green, in output 1, the direction. Like red could be to go to right, and green to go to left. When then it is activated, I can activate the red one in output 2, then the turntable should move.

Like:

Red (1) = Turn right
Green (1) = Turn left
Red (2) = Activate power (start moving)
Green (2) = Deactivate power (stop moving)

So if my K 84 has group 1, number 1+2+3+4. I should push on number 1 (red), and then on number 2 (red), then the turntable should move right over, until I stop it by clicking number 2 (green).

Thats like what I understood out of the K 84 manual.

But simply, when I click any of the buttons that should do anything with the K 84 decoder, I simply just hear a click. When it's attached to the Turntable 7186. But with my crane no. 7051. It works fine, when using both a K 83 and K 84 to control the 7051. So probalby the problem is not that the K 84 is defective...

In the K 84 manual, there's not written anything about it is necessary to modify the motor of the 7186 to control it. There's just shown a way like the way on Sean Fanelli's train page. But it does not work for me. Maybe I did something wrong, I just don't see that I made any mistakes.

I also see that Sean Fanelli made a few modificitations to the 7186. But I find it strange if it should be described in the K 84 manual that it was possible, if it is necessary to modify it before it works... - am I the only one who find that strange?
Arne

Offline arne  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2006 18:51:30(UTC)
arne

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Philip
<br />Hey Arne.

I read the instruktion metionde in a later post, and to every one else i will try answering in danish to Arne, since it´s the nativ toung to both of us.

Hej Arne.
Sådan som jeg forstår diagrammet vælger du retning med den kontakt der styrre udgang fire, der efter skal du trykke på den kontakt der styrre udgang tre, så skulle drejeskiven kører. Når du så ønsker at stoppe den igen skal du trykke på kontakt tre igen, så skulle den stoppe ved næste spor. Alt dette forudsat at du har fuldt diagrammet nøje. Det er ikke nødvendigt at bygge motoren om. De røde forbindelser til opstillingssporene er for at du kan have lokomotiverne henstillet med lys, røg,lyd m.v. men disse forbindelser er teknisk se ikke nødvendige da broen burde forsyne det spor den er ud for.

Med venlig hilsen
Philip

Hej Philip.

Tak for dit svar, og især tak for din danske beskrivelse.
Det er også noget lignende det jeg har fundet frem til, men uden held indtil videre. Som du kan læse mit svar til Zosch, så er det også noget i stilen med det jeg har forstået, at man bruger to udgange, og den ene styrer vejen, mens den anden aktivere/deaktivere roteringen af skiven. Men det er stadig en ting, som jeg har været lidt uheldig med indtil videre. I det at det ikke virker.

Så i det at det ikke virkede for mig, uanset hvordan jeg gjorde, om jeg fulgte Sean Fanelli's vej, eller vejen i manualen til K 84'eren, det gjorde at jeg spurgte her på marklin-users.net forum'et, for at finde hjælp. :-)

An fast, and unconcentrated translation to English:

Hi Philip,

Thank you very much for your answer, specially the Danish description.

It is also something like the stuff you tell, the way I understood the stuff I found. But without a lucky result yet. As you can read in my reply to Zosch, I understood it like that you use two outputs on the K 84, where one of them is controlling the direction, while the other one is activating/deactivating the rotation of the turntable. But it is still at thing, that I've been unlucky with, until now.

So because it was not working properly for me, where it didn't matter if I use the way in the K 84 manual nor Sean Fanelli's way. It was the reason that I took the time to write the question here, if anyone may be able to help.
Arne

Offline Philip  
#7 Posted : 27 December 2006 21:23:09(UTC)
Philip

Hello Arne.
First of all i think you should try running the turntabel analog, if it funktions then i stil think that the previus mention diagram works - eksept i can not see any return wiering from the turn tabel ( ground or brown if you like).

Philip
Philip.

Let's keep it simple.
MFDWPL
Offline arne  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2007 18:35:16(UTC)
arne

Here's how I have put my wires between the K 84 decoder and the Märklin 7186 metal turntable.

UserPostedImage

However, this does NOT work. I find it as I did the wires exactly as the picture on Sean Fanelli's train page, except form that I did not place the wires to the turntable tracks where the trains are having a break.

As in the K 84 manual, there's written that Button 2 RED should go to one side, and Button 2 GREEN should go to the other side. (My German if its right or left for green or red ... there, I can't follow the manual, but it should be one of the sides.) Then the Button 1 RED should start the moving, and Button 1 GREEN stop the moving.

When I click like Button 2 RED, Button 1 RED, I simply just hear that the decoders is giving a "click" likely when pushing MENU on the Intellibox, while being on the the programming mode.

RED and BROWN to power the decoder, gets power from the same way as my tracks on the layout do, therefore, I did not wire from the first output from left on the turntable. It should not be necessary, at least, it isnt when I were playing with my trains in analog mode. So I doubt it is here, and to make sure, I tested it. Without any results either.

Note that the turntable works when controlling it on the old, analog way.
Arne

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2007 22:13:12(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

The wiring surely is correct, except it has taken for granted that the turntable is connected by rails to common ground. Do you have a brown cable from the Intellibox to the track, and the turntable connected to this?

The schema was also published by Rutger Friberg in "Digitaltåg" 1988.

Lars
Offline arne  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2007 19:40:31(UTC)
arne

Hi Lars,

I have tried with a brown wire form the last point on the turntable and to the brown exit on left side on the decoder (to the brown exit, near my grey wire on the picture). That's the thing you mean with the brown cable?

I put a orange wire on now (orange - on the picture). The orange wire on my diagram, is the brown cable there's missing, as I understood by your message, is this correct?

It did not work when I tried this way either.

UserPostedImage
Arne

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#11 Posted : 04 January 2007 20:49:12(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I don't own the 7186 so not 100 % sure, but it seems correct.

I think the turntable has a ordinary loco motor with two field windings connected to blue and green, and a mono stable relay or something connected between violet and ground. The brushes get contact with ground if the relay is closed OR the bridge is between it's rest positions.

So you could easily test it with ordinary AC. If violet and green are connected to yellow (and ground as above) it should go one way, if blue and violet, the other. If violet is removed it should stop at next rest track position. AC will give more buzzing sound than DC. But please, don't blame me if I'm wrong; any confirmation appreciated.

/Lars
Offline arne  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2007 04:05:49(UTC)
arne

The second way (the one that includes the orange wire), that way does not work either. I mean I tested it sometime ago though, but I did not remember it exactly, so I tested it again. No result either.

In the original Märklin K 84 manual, the way with the K 84 and 7186 turntable is described too. It's near the same way, there's just a little difference, I tested that way too though, but also without result.

The turntable works, and have been working all the time, when controlling it the old analog way. In the K 84 manual, there are not written anything about that the 7186 has to be modified, just the diagram, and which buttons that should do the job. But without any results here.
Arne

Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 05 January 2007 05:41:33(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
I think the next step should be to connect some lightbulbs or similar, at all outputs from decoder.

This will help you, and us, to solve the problem.

Just a thought: When powered from digital source, the AC voltage will be of a much higher frequency
than the usual 50 Hz from a transformer, which means that the resistance in the coil
will be much higher than usual, and maybe causing the coil not to throw/pull.

If you supply the contacts of K84 directly from a transformer instead of "digital power" it maybe helps???????

( Not that Fanelli has done it this way. )

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage