Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline john black  
#1 Posted : 21 December 2006 17:47:36(UTC)
john black

United States   
For our digital Gurus Smile:

If you intend to upgrade an analog loco with sound, M's new decoder series #60931, 60932, 60933 comes to mind, first. But after seeing those price tags around €160.- [:0][:0][:0]!!! (only for decoder and speaker, motor parts still not included) - you are forced to look around for other, less expensive brands ...

Say I wanna give an old #3022 E94 LFCM (still analog) an simple digital decoder plus whistle w/o touching the motor - what were your bargain solution(s) confused (something by UHLENBROCK were nice ...)

Thanks,
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline rschaffr  
#2 Posted : 21 December 2006 18:08:26(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
John: I use all ESU decoders. The loksound decoder for the E94 is #52464 (Eu101.56 at the lok shop)

If you want mfx it is #62464 (Eu110.69). Of course you should also buy the 5* motor parts (I always do)
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline john black  
#3 Posted : 21 December 2006 19:03:21(UTC)
john black

United States   
Thanks, Ron. Well, to start with the high(est)-tech item I just try to avoid MFX-decoders (got only four of this species, so far). They are great but they demand totally clean track - and I'm a lazy guy ...

Next thing - the 5-poler. Well, they are o.k. but if I can keep that beloved great old LFCM - the better. Just remember my E254 Gator conversion w/ UB76200 by Jorge. Excellent results, and no need for getting rid of the motor Smile

Looking for a similar conversion but with sound ...
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline rschaffr  
#4 Posted : 21 December 2006 20:09:14(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
John: Loksounds can (according to the manual) be used with Marklin Universal (AC) motors, although I have never tried it.

From the manual:

"3.1.3.2 Connecting universal motors
Figure 5 shows how a universal motor (e.g. AC motor
by Märklin®) is connected to a LokSound decoder:
• Connect the orange wire with the motor terminal
that was originally connected with the center
pick-up.
• Connect the gray wire to the motor terminal that
was originally connected to the common / wheel
pick-up.
• Exchanging the wires will change direction of
travel.
• Solder an inductor (choke) with at least 3.9 mH to
each motor terminal. They are available as spare
parts from Märklin® under article number 516520.
• The RFI suppression inductor remains attached to
the collector terminal of the motor and has to be
soldered to the blue wire.
Please note: If a universal motor is connected
LokSound will automatically deactivate Back
EMF Control. The principle of Back EMF
Control does not work with universal motors."
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline grnwtrs  
#5 Posted : 21 December 2006 21:16:47(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I have been, as of late, thinking of converting a couple of old used analoge loks to digital with sound. Or is this feeling a simple urge and nothing more. The price of US $160 for the decoder is one thing, but then add on the motor upgrade & labor, and it seems to be out of my price. A new lok can be had for that upgrade.

Looks like the new Marklin loks with sound and the 5 star or better motors are more price competitive. I am not familiar with loksound, but the last 3 mfx loks from Marklin sure have been star performers.
I guess I will just keep dragging my heels. FWIW

Gene
on the left coast
Offline john black  
#6 Posted : 21 December 2006 22:00:13(UTC)
john black

United States   
Gene - you're right. Add the motor parts, and you end up with a €200 (plus) price tag.
For the conversion alone ... biggrin

Thanks for the details, Ron Smile ... Now I'll check UB's prices ...

Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2006 23:46:33(UTC)
H0

Hi, John!
For around 100 Euro you can get M* E40 from the premium starter pack (29855).
This loco has 60901 decoder, 5 pole motor and 2 whistle sounds.
To convert a 110/140 you have have to switch covers.

But beware: many of these locos offered on ebay are already converted to analog or have a cheap decoder instead - so read carefully to get a loco with original decoder and sound!

This is no good way to convert your E94 (this trick works for DCM motors only), you may be able to use it for other locos.

Edit: the E40 is from the 29855 starter pack.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline john black  
#8 Posted : 22 December 2006 00:05:19(UTC)
john black

United States   
Thanks for your ideas, Tom Smile - will keep this in mind for my next DCM conversion ...

Offline kgsjoqvist  
#9 Posted : 22 December 2006 11:17:02(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Uhlenbrock have new sounddecoders as well. There are versions with integrated sound, but also add-on sound decoders when you already have a decoder with SUSI connector.

Prices for an integrated decoder start at 85€, add maybe 10€ for a HAMO magnet.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline frankie  
#10 Posted : 22 December 2006 16:04:30(UTC)
frankie

John: I have converted two loco a streamline BR03.10 and a DSB diesel, with the Uhlenbrock 76200 decoder and the 32100 sound module.
The module connects to the 76200 that you already know with the SUSI adapter and the sounds activate with F1->F4.
To use those modules though if you fancy a particular sound you need to buy a software, that includes an adapter to connect the module to your PC, so this solution is worthed only if think to convert at least 5 or more locos since this software costs around 50 EUR.
You can download the sounds from the Uhlenbrock website for free and they add sounds every 2 or 3 months.
There are sound modules with sound already loaded in, but the offer is quite limited and only to generic sounds, but they can be changed later with the above software.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline laalves  
#11 Posted : 22 December 2006 16:47:46(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kgsjoqvist
<br />Uhlenbrock have new sounddecoders as well. There are versions with integrated sound, but also add-on sound decoders when you already have a decoder with SUSI connector.

Prices for an integrated decoder start at 85€, add maybe 10€ for a HAMO magnet.

I have one of these from Uhlenbrock (Grossdiesellok V200) and I think the sound sample quality doesn't compare favourably at all to a Loksound 3....
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 22 December 2006 23:48:33(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
John,
I have just received the Parts to convert the F7 to a 5 Pole Motor and Loksound MFX. Cost of parts: Magnet, 5 pole Rotor and end plate 17.23 Euro Decoder 93 Euro.
Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline john black  
#13 Posted : 23 December 2006 00:10:26(UTC)
john black

United States   
Karl Gunnar, Alessandro, Luis, Neville - thanks for your great help, friends Smile
Since the only needed sound is the whistle I might give the UB solution a try ...