Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tolis  
#1 Posted : 30 November 2006 23:31:25(UTC)
Tolis

Hallo again forum

Its been a long time due to a long summer and other pursuits but Im back.

Even though I speak fluent German, I come short of a word used in every layout advice magazine: 'Tischlerplatte'. I understand that furniture makers understand it but I would like to know what type of wood is meant and how thick.

Vielen Dank im Voraus
Tolis
Offline svgeorgiad  
#2 Posted : 01 December 2006 00:17:18(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Toli,
I think that the explanation (in English and Greek) is as following:
Spanplatte: (chip wood) ìïñéïóáíßäá
Sperrholzplatte: plywood board (êüíôñá ðëáêÝ)it is like the material that is used for the beach rackettes - a type of sandwich of two types of wood
Tischlerplatte: I do not know the definition in English but here is what I found:
Tischlerplatte Definition: Abk#252;rzung: ST. Die Stabsperrholzplatte ist eine Tischlerplatte, auch Stabplatte genannt (Sperrholz, Holzwerkstoffe). Die Mittellage besteht aus verleimten (Leime) St#228;ben (28-30 mm breit).
Diese werden auf beiden Seiten mit einem Absperrfurnier versehen. Der Faserverlauf des Absperrfurniers ist rechtwinklig zum Faserverlauf der Mittellage.
Stabsperrholzplatten haben ein relativ geringes Gewicht. Sie lassen sich gut furnieren und sind mit allen Holzbearbeitungswerkzeugen und -maschinen leicht zu bearbeiten.
Im M#246;belbau werden sie f#252;r gro#223;fl#228;chige, selbsttragende Teile wie T#252;ren, Fachb#246;den oder Korpusteile verwendet (Korpuspresse).
Im Innenausbau eignen sie sich f#252;r den Bau von Verkleidungen, Einbaum#246;beln (Einbauschrank) und T#252;rbl#228;ttern.
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline Tolis  
#3 Posted : 01 December 2006 01:11:50(UTC)
Tolis

Symeon

Thanks but it doesnt help[. I know Spann and Sperr (which incidentally is Balsa) but not Tischler, which actually means table makers board. I wanna know what the board is made of.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2006 02:08:26(UTC)
H0

I think you mess up different things.
Balsa is a tree like oak or acer.
Plywood (Sperrholz) is made up of several layers of wood glued together. Layers are turned by 90° to make it more stable.
Chipboard (Spanplatte) are chips of wood glued together.
Tischlerplatte is much like Plywood, but the center is made of bars that were glued together; above and below there are thin layers of wood turned 90° again.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline boomel  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2006 19:45:47(UTC)
boomel

Kali Spera,

just ask dict.leo.org for a "tischlerplatte"

best regards
Jochen
cheers
Jochen
Offline jonquinn  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2006 20:09:31(UTC)
jonquinn

sounds to me like from last desription this is a torsion box.

light weight, depending on how and what you build it with, but can be very strong and support high load for its weight and cross section.
see the attached link
http://www.diynetwork.co...,DIY_14350_26946,00.html

this design is heavy duty for a wood working shop (assembly table and work bench), but describes in principal how to make one. This is a very good woodworking show by the way. More advanced than New Yankee Norm.
his website below with TV show/projects
http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks.asp
I'm sure you can find other websites on how to make one. You need a good flat work surface to build one, otherwise your torsion box will be warped. MDF was used for frame and tope/bottom. you could probably substitute other materials, such as thin ply for flats and even cardboard for frame. Depends on what kind of load/weight this will bear.
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2006 23:43:16(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum,JochenSmile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline HueyCE  
#8 Posted : 08 December 2006 02:43:07(UTC)
HueyCE

Welcome to the forum Jochen.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline Minibahn  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2006 01:32:22(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

this is what we call Tischlerplatte :

Take a board of wood and saw it to timbers. Glue the timbers together. Every second timber is turned the other way round. When this is done both sides are covered with plywood boards.

http://www.musterkiste.d.../2013-Tischlerplatte.jpg

The advantages are less weight than a chip wood plate and the Tischlerplatte is not working, is keeping in form. Hope I could explain it.
Regards Charles
Offline hmsfix  
#10 Posted : 15 December 2006 16:43:57(UTC)
hmsfix

In principle, your distinction Tischlerplatte/Spanplatte is correct.

Usually, "Tischlerplatte" is made of hard wood and therefore more expensive than "Spanplatte" (= plywood), which is made of medium weight wood and is porous.

Tischlerplatte is mainly used to make high quality furniture (e.g. the table plate of an office desk), as it does not bend with water, and the surface can be polished. BTW this type of furniture was highly in fashion few years ago, you can still find it quite frequently.

In contrast, "Spanplatte" is rather light and soft (but not as light and soft as balsa), and can't bear any water. Beyond mrr layouts it is modtly used for transport boxes. Quite easy to cut and to drill holes.

Hans Martin
Offline JT42CWRDriver  
#11 Posted : 16 December 2006 17:48:00(UTC)
JT42CWRDriver

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Minibahn
<br />Hello,

this is what we call Tischlerplatte :

Take a board of wood and saw it to timbers. Glue the timbers together. Every second timber is turned the other way round. When this is done both sides are covered with plywood boards.

http://www.musterkiste.d.../2013-Tischlerplatte.jpg

The advantages are less weight than a chip wood plate and the Tischlerplatte is not working, is keeping in form. Hope I could explain it.

I think this is called blockboard in Britain.

Cheers,

Peter.
3 Rail/2 Rail Märklin, Fleischmann, Roco. DCC.
Offline jonquinn  
#12 Posted : 17 December 2006 03:53:28(UTC)
jonquinn

http://www.s-w-l.com/eng/site/news/news.htm

here is a company that makes tischlerplatte - they sell it for panels in marine applications - they say instead of honeycomb interior. honeycomb aluminum with expensive/exotic veneer plywood is often used on upscale executive/private jets.
I don't think the foam filled TP would be certificated for aerospace use.

my guess is that there would be less expensive types of substrates to use.