Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ProductionMgr  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2024 01:22:24(UTC)
ProductionMgr

United States   
Hi
In the course of assembling the items that I think that I need for a z scale layout based in Germany, I started looking at backdrops.
The size of my first attempt will be modest and actually small in size.
I looked on Ebay and can't find anything specifically for z gauge.
There is a Faller item marked Decor Hintergrund 180513 backdrop for model landscape, but it does not list what scales are appropriate.
I saw a similar Faller item that showed the tiles that comprise the backdrop and it looks like they are about 8.5 inches wide x 11 inches high.
This would seem to be much larger then I can imagine being able to use.
I would appreciate any information that you may be able to suggest.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2024 05:48:38(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I have a similar Faller backdrop, but it is 180514, black Forrest scene. It is 388x 65 cm done in four panels. It is a quality, thick paper scene and I like what it did for the visuals on my layout. I spray glued it to a form board and attached it to the back of the platform. I believe it is similar to a wallpaper in terms of the quality. I was disappointed because the four panels must be aligned the best you can get it, and I didn’t have experience with this. I might have used an incorrect glue and it does have some bubbles in it. The most predominant view presented is a nice blue sky with white clouds to break it up and hills in the background. It does not say it is for z on the box so the clouds might be a bit out of scale, I don’t know. I have posted photos which include the backdrop, you could take a look.

This backdrop looks good to me. I forget what I paid for it on eBay. It has been a while. What is nice is that you can use as many panels as you need. I needed to only use three of the four.

I would think the letter sized backdrops you mentioned might be another product, but it would not be acceptable. That would be your call, depending what you want. 65 cm converts to a bit over 2 feet tall.

Just do a search on this forum, using “backdrop” and you will find discussions about this topic and some sources for other websites. Unfortunately, everything is expensive now and some vendors may have dropped out of the market. If you consider European sources, it is not unusual for them to say they don’t ship to the US. Just contact them and ask. Often, I find they will ship but don’t be surprised about the shipping costs, they might exceed the cost of your item. I have seen some excellent sources, but have not purchased any more backdrops. I believe backdrops specifically for z are out there somewhere, just keep looking.

Hope you find what you need.

Take good care.

Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2024 11:29:19(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I typed a very long thorough reply. Bloody phone deleted it with one wrong input!

Not retyping... In short: in the 1990s I printed 6 metres of A3 backdrops, 272MB of ram & 2GB hard drive, & Magneto drive.

'Get over it', was my first comment, in regards to computer resources. I could print a kilometre today with my current setup, & that's not trying!

https://www.bing.com/vid...2164A2D6&FORM=WRVORC

The skyline photo was a photo I took of the Alps from Germany looking south (the video does not do justice to the quality of the print). Fujifilm 50ASA transparency. I scanned the trees & layered them into the 6 metre long image (overall a week of Photoshop processing, no history in those days, for the PS users in the know in that era). 17 inch screen (16 inch in reality. Did get a 21 (20) inch screen later & ran the 17 inch screen as a second screen. With an 8MB video card)

These days there is no difficulty editing & layering, & printing your own background to suit your own scene requirements.

64MB RAM memory card was $660 (x 4), on top of standard computer's 16MB ram (as advised by a friend in the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation)) I apologise profusely for double brackets.

Magneto Optical drive was a bit ahead of CD writeable drive (still have one disk for reminiscing. Quite fast recording for the era, far better than CD & far more reliable).

Video ram upgrade for another 2MB (2 x two megabyte cards, dual slots), let's not go there price wise! I also had a second 2GB hard drive & 70MB Zip drive. Not to forget the UPS.

The graphic designer business next door could kill to get the computer, they were running computers with 32MB (let's be clear, megabytes of ram & NOT gigabytes of ram. My half dozen 2009 computers each had 16GB of ram. Current Mac computer only has 32GB ram, pathetic!)... I could have almost killed to get my hands on those girls next door (often in a round about way they would help on my "learning curve" for the Mac... not that I learnt any new computer skills... or any other skills for that matter!

Two years earlier, I couldn't afford the computer required, let alone the lower CPU speed resources & at three times the price (wanted a dual 9600 CPU Mac in those days, but pricewise was out of reach, got a Mac 7200 & maxed it out as best as possible. Most of my later computers were dual CPU. Have now gone backwards!).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2024 12:07:50(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Sorry, double post (removed)
Offline spinnerguy  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2024 14:13:54(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Uk based company www modelscenerysupplies co.uk do some mountain backscenes for N Gauge.I have used one panel from them on a Z layout,which looks ok in scale
This was a lake surrounded by hill range,but I think that is no longer available .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by spinnerguy
Zme
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2024 14:18:27(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Well there is this group, although the catalog listed seems a bit older. They say the can do all their backdrops in Z, you would have to get in touch.

http://www.modellbahn-hintergrund.com/Jowi-2018.pdf

http://www.modellbahn-hintergrund.com/kontakt.html

Caveat: I have no personal purchase experience with them, but I have often coveted their stuff...

One can but try! Good luckThumpUp
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Zme
Offline hennabm  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2024 17:19:30(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi

I am in the process of building my Z layout. I wondered about backdrops and opted for the Faller 180505 back drop. As it comes it s far too tall for my needs. I have worked out that a back drop of 180mm can give me the central part of the background which will give sufficient depth and sky to the layout.

Once it's done I can post pictures, if required.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Zme