Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ivanmbrown  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2024 01:55:36(UTC)
Ivanmbrown

United States   
Hello everyone I am new to the group but have been reading posts for years. I recently acquired a used 43992 Auxiliary Baggage Car with Sound. It has a MFX decoder that my Mobile Station 2 will not recognize. It will not auto detect it and when I try to enter it manually from the database it is not listed. The controller is only 1 year old and says it has version 1.2. I do not have access to a central station to do any updates. I also tried to manually enter it using the address 78 listed in the manual but the mobile station only allows me to manually enter a MM2 protocol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ivanmbrown
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2024 11:49:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Ivan
A warm welcome to this great forum
A friendly reminder: it is customary to start with a presentation of you (region, age, interest, projects) but not mandatory.
Back the the MS2: I suggest you place your fonction car on your layout ALONE and:
- set the MS2 pointer to an EMPTY SPACE (rotating the knob while SHIFT is pressed).
- push the LOCO and SHIFT simultaneously to enter into NEW LOCO MODE
- scroll down until FIND and select it.
- the MS2 will look for (search) any possible MFX, DCC, MM2 loco or wagon.

Note: my MS2 (60657) software version is 4.1 so a visit to a nearby retailer or a friend with a CS3 / CS2 could be very helpful
Even a friend with an MS2 that is up to date could be enough to upgrade your MS2 (peer to peer update.
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2024 12:08:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ivanmbrown Go to Quoted Post
The controller is only 1 year old and says it has version 1.2.

That sounds very strange. Is the controller a grey one or a black one?

Whatever colour it is it needs the software upgraded. I'm betting that is the reason it will not recognise your baggage car, there have been several changes to the mfx features over the years.

As noted by Jean, you only need to take it to a friend or dealer who has a cs2 or cs3 or an ms2 that is updated to the current level to get it updated.

If you don't have anyone nearby who can update it for you I suggest you enquire of a dealer such as AJCKids or RJF Trains if they can update the ms2 for you, and what the cost might be. They may charge just a nominal fee plus return postage.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2024 13:19:33(UTC)
Goofy

MS are one year old and you have version 1.2?? That are weird if not less you did bought mobil station as second hand? You must upgrade your MS to latest version 3.55 or higher. In this case you are depends of CS3 to this.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Ivanmbrown  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2024 15:11:47(UTC)
Ivanmbrown

United States   
Sorry about the lack of introduction, my name is Ivan and I live in eastern Wisconsin. I started a 4’ by 14’ German Layout with Marklin items that I acquired 20 years ago when visiting Germany. I may not understand which number is the version number on the mobile station. Here are pictures of the unit and its settings. CAE880A6-24B6-4C4D-B416-BE6D31EAC7C2.jpeg2305F9C9-E913-4B29-B37B-F397A564AA90.jpegB2D2C9F5-E058-47E2-B12E-629583B2E5CC.jpeg
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2024 15:45:01(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome Ivan! The current MS2 update is version 4.1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2024 16:11:58(UTC)
Goofy

You have SW (software) 3.148 and yours train models with the mfx protocol should work.
Did you check after your MS2 are set in mfx protocol too?
You do that by press "Shift" and "Turnout" symbol at the same time.
Scroll down to loco protocol and press it.
Choice what protocol you want for the MS2 and your layout.
H0
Offline Ivanmbrown  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2024 17:37:23(UTC)
Ivanmbrown

United States   
I have it set for MFX, MM2, DCC. No luck. When I try the automatic find I hear soft ticks from the baggage car when it is searching the MFX. Is there a way to test the decoder to see if it works? Only other Marklin system is an old blue transformer. I m just wondering why the 43992 is not listed among the 100+ items listed in the built in database.

Thank you all for your help in this.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2024 18:09:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I have it set for MFX, MM2, DCC. No luck. When I try the automatic find I hear soft ticks from the baggage car when it is searching the MFX. Is there a way to test the decoder to see if it works? Only other Marklin system is an old blue transformer. I m just wondering why the 43992 is not listed among the 100+ items listed in the built in database.

Thank you all for your help in this.

It is not listed as it is an mfx device. I wonder if you are leaving it long enough to actually register using mfx. It can take a little while to do the registration.

The 43992 product page shows it should work with the ms2.
Offline Ivanmbrown  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2024 18:14:04(UTC)
Ivanmbrown

United States   
I just leave it on for the time it takes to do the search. How long would you recommend?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2024 19:55:43(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ivan
Märklin says it is a 2016 product understanding MFX and MM2 (adress 78)
So you may create an MM2 "loco" with 78 address and use it
Here is the manual
https://static.maerklin....c530020cdd1475160611.pdf
If you are a purist, you may reset it (CV8=8) using the MM2 protocol and maybe the MFX fonctionning will be restored.
I suspect Märklin used a non-Märklin sound / fonction decoder (all their decoders are MFX - DCC - MM2 and here no DCC capability) and maybe the MFX compatibility is theoritical.
Cheers
Jean
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2024 22:58:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have found that sometimes it will fail to detect Mfx because there is already a registry in the library, but it does not recognize that it is that unit, but it won't let you register that decoder again under that protocol.
You should check your MS's library to see if it already has "MDyge 986 DB" listed and if yes, delete that registry and let the MS register the car again.

It is also possible that the seller got rid of the model because there was some kind of issue.
Resetting the decoder to factory settings might be a good suggestion if nothing else works

Regards

Mike C
Offline Ivanmbrown  
#13 Posted : 24 February 2024 23:24:29(UTC)
Ivanmbrown

United States   
I did try the manual entry of 78 with no luck. I only have a handful of items in my collection so I did try resetting my mobile station and clearing its memory just for the fun of it. Once again no luck. This was one of two items bought from an estate sale so it was untested. The other item was the Schimmel Piano car which works perfectly. In order to reset the decoder do I need the decoder programmer for my computer or send it to a place like AJCKids? Once again thank you all for your help.
Offline Hematite  
#14 Posted : 25 February 2024 18:08:11(UTC)
Hematite

United States   
I have an MS2 starter set that is not being used so if you want to try a newer MS2 let me know. Live in Blackwolf on the west shore of Winnebago.

I am using my digital trains with older 6021 controls (firmware versus software).

Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Hematite
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 25 February 2024 18:57:26(UTC)
H0

I did try the manual entry of 78 with no luck.
Märklin decoders have different priorities for the protocols.

The decoder will respond to DCC only if mfx is disabled in the controller.
The decoder will respond to MM only if both DCC and mfx are disabled in the controller.

If the loco makes clicking sounds when registering a new loco, then it maybe responds to DCC during loco detection.

So it might be worth a try to enable DCC only and try address 3.
And then enable MM only and try address 78.

Note: With both DCC and MM protocols, you can set a new address without knowing the current address. Just in case the loco is no longer set to the default addresses 3 and 78 respectively.
The mfx protocol could be disabled in the decoder. A decoder reset could help.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Ivanmbrown  
#16 Posted : 25 February 2024 22:36:14(UTC)
Ivanmbrown

United States   
Thank you for more things to try. Unfortunately none of the options that were suggested worked. I had a great conversation with Hematite and he may know of somebody in my area that could help me in person. This has been a exercise in frustration but having this kind of support certainly has been a blessing. Thank you all.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ivanmbrown
Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 29 February 2024 08:26:44(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I did try the manual entry of 78 with no luck.
Märklin decoders have different priorities for the protocols.

The decoder will respond to DCC only if mfx is disabled in the controller.
The decoder will respond to MM only if both DCC and mfx are disabled in the controller.

If the loco makes clicking sounds when registering a new loco, then it maybe responds to DCC during loco detection.

So it might be worth a try to enable DCC only and try address 3.
And then enable MM only and try address 78.

Note: With both DCC and MM protocols, you can set a new address without knowing the current address. Just in case the loco is no longer set to the default addresses 3 and 78 respectively.
The mfx protocol could be disabled in the decoder. A decoder reset could help.

TS wagon support only mfx and MM2.
There is no DCC protocol in this decoder.

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy