Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2024 15:49:12(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi guys,

I'm loooking for rock molds that fit Z scale. Most Noch molds are said to work on all scales, but I'm suspicious about that.

Have you got any experience which product would result best? I'm looking for lime stroneish molds.

BR,
Eino
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2024 17:54:51(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope you are well

I used the woodland scenic molds. I am not certain which sizes you might be interested in. The flat face rock mold I used cut in half and it is about right at a medium height I was looking for. Here are just a few choices.

https://www.amazon.com/W...d=1707756394&sr=8-38

https://www.amazon.com/W...d=1707756394&sr=8-37

I have some others but I I’m not sure where I got them. I will look around maybe I can find them on the web.

Hope this helps, take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2024 22:09:26(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,

I'm loooking for rock molds that fit Z scale. Most Noch molds are said to work on all scales, but I'm suspicious about that.

Have you got any experience which product would result best? I'm looking for lime stroneish molds.

BR,
Eino

I've also used the Woodland Scenics moulds to good effect. I think it was the "outcroppings" design I used.

Hope this is of help

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline einotuominen  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2024 08:04:57(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thanks guys,

while researching on this, I actually figured I could try carving the rock faces. Or maybe a combination of molds and carving.

-Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2024 11:27:33(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
There are plenty of photos on the forum of rock faces on my layout.

I didn't try hard. But basically. Polyurethane foam, set, cut off to profile roughly & quickly, plastered with a few mix variations of ground cover plaster finish.

Tried to do it all very quickly. The more time you spend on a texture the wrong finish it can look, if after a rustic finish.

If you are really keen, you can use casting silicone (2 pack) & a water venturi setup from the cold water tap for negative pressure (a vacuum) to remove micro air bubbles. Like for casting silver jewellery moulds.

But it is only scenery. Nothing improves an architectural model like "growies" covering unfortunate mistakes!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2024 01:33:24(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I used the “rocks” with the foam base in various locations to appear as rock outcroppings. The photo shows the rocks in the background. The rock are very detailed out of the mold and are enhanced by the coloring pigments also made by Woodland Scenics. Be certain to look for these kits also. My rocks are visible in the background of this photo. The molds could be used in various directions to change the appearance and are sealed with scenic glue once you have the pigments completed.

UserPostedImage

Take good care. Best wishes for your project. I have seen your YouTubes and things look great.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline einotuominen  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2024 08:14:55(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, hope all is well.

I used the “rocks” with the foam base in various locations to appear as rock outcroppings. The photo shows the rocks in the background. The rock are very detailed out of the mold and are enhanced by the coloring pigments also made by Woodland Scenics. Be certain to look for these kits also. My rocks are visible in the background of this photo. The molds could be used in various directions to change the appearance and are sealed with scenic glue once you have the pigments completed.

UserPostedImage

Take good care. Best wishes for your project. I have seen your YouTubes and things look great.

Dwight

I've actually ordered a woodland scenics mold. I also have several Noch molds for H0, so maybe I'll experiment with molds combined with sculpting and see what happens.

Thank you for your compliments! I have high hopes with this Z layout. (as well with my new H0 layout...)

-Eino

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2024 17:57:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I located the pigment kit on the Woodlands scenic site:

https://woodlandscenics....nics.com/show/item/C1215

It has all the colors needed for this task. Should be able to get this just as you want it.

If I had something negative to comment about this kit, it is that once the seal is opened, the contents tend to dry out even with the lid tightly fastened. Might want to keep them in a zip lock bag.

Just to share another method for is process, here is a link to a guy who was an avid Z Scaler then abruptly switched to HO. You might consider his process: sorry it is native language, but you can turn on CC and translate to your language.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 15 February 2024 01:08:13(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi again. Wish I knew about these guys before I did my layout.

Kunstmichi another artist.

You can also search YouTube for Marklin of Sweden.

I am looking forward to your results.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Bahner  
#10 Posted : 15 February 2024 20:12:03(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,

BR,
Eino

The rock mold approach can achieve good results if the shapes/textures match the layout environment theme.

Especially for layouts with unique scenery and/or where originality is desired, 'insulation foam' blocks can be easily shaped using a sharp kitchen knife:

Kleinhopfensee Intial Tunnel Construction_20190101.jpg

A bit of painting and some lightly 'drizzled' ground cover over the rocks:

20190112_171727.jpg

Ralph.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline ProductionMgr  
#11 Posted : 22 February 2024 05:03:59(UTC)
ProductionMgr

United States   
Hi
I haven't actually tried this method, but something that was shown on Youtube.
A modeller used bark chips for landscaping to create what I thought were realistic rock faces.
His layout was in HO scale, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work for Z.
He took the individual chips and sliced them in half on the horizontal with a saw.
Glued them to the foam core base and then filled in the cracks with sculptamold.
Painted and then weathered with various pigments.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ProductionMgr