Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carias205  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2024 23:47:54(UTC)
Carias205

Portugal   
Hello all! I am restarting the hobby. Some years ago I had an analog layout and now I am beginning in digital with Marklin so I bought a starter set and some expansion C track.

However, I am getting some dead spots in my layout as you can see in the video. I think my tracks are all well connected. To correct the issue I usually have to disconnect and reassembly the track, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It appears randomly across my layout. Confused Confused

I don't have any feeder track besides the main one that came with the starter set, is that the issue?

Thank you all in advance BigGrin

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/a9HbWGQ-wRM

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-26 at 22.51.26.jpeg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carias205
Online JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2024 00:06:50(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
First I wish you a warm welcome to our great Märklin forum.
Here a Märklin fan from Paris France with an HO digital, C-Track layout.

Dead spots?
On Märklin-only trains and C-tracks, certainly not BUT, it may happen, on brand new rails and loco that a little settling of the surfaces is needed (some sort of running-in).
Why? Not sure but typically there is 6 month or more between the manufacturing and the playing so some lubricant may be in the way of mass return though wheels and rails.
This is only true whan the slider is 50 mm long (not always the case with non-Märklin locos
When you stop using the train and depending on the dust / humidity levels after 1 or 2 weeks you may observe some little hick-ups but a little operation fixes this. Do not over-oil (20 hours is an absolute minimum between lubrication and only a droplet will do.

Here is the operation of my C-Track layout (just to say that using C-Track is a good choice I think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline BenP  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2024 02:13:44(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Softly run fine sanding paper over track without much pressure. Cleans contact with pukos (power) and rail of track (ground).
Ben
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2024 05:16:04(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Cleaning the track is a good start. Use a clean lint free cloth with a light solvent (methylated spirits) to clean the rails.

DO NOT USE SAND PAPAER ON THE RAILS! The rails benefits from cleaning not re-surfacing.

Check operation after cleaning. If there are further problems, not the position of the dead spot and look at the pukos for rust. This is where you may need some fine sandpaper/Emory cloth. Although be aware that the pukos once sanded will be more prone to future rust as the protective coating will be removed. Usually I find if the rails are clean, then minor issues with the pukos are dealt with by the action of the slider/pick up shoe going across the affected area several times.. The sanding of pukos is only require in more serious cases, and then only in the affected spot.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2024 05:17:58(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Also, once you have cleaned the rails, try running the loco a bit faster initially to help it across the dead spots until the slider has wiped the pukos a bit.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Carias205  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2024 10:56:28(UTC)
Carias205

Portugal   
I tried to run the loco faster for a long time and then the dead spots were disappearing or diminishing.

Although it's a new layout, it is set in a garage prone to some dust and temperature changes over the day.

Thank you all for your answers!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carias205
Offline Unholz  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2024 11:02:58(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Carias205 Go to Quoted Post

However, I am getting some dead spots in my layout as you can see in the video. (...) It appears randomly across my layout.

A very common problem in my opinion. It mostly occurs after a few days or weeks without running the layout.

My method might appear slightly drastic, but I successfully use things that are probably called "nail files" in English (see attached picture). They are not made of metal but probably of some kind of cardboard with roughened surfaces in two grades (white/cream a bit softer, whereas the red side features more "grain"). Mostly it is sufficient to slightly brush over the dirty center studs once or twice with the softer side. At the same time, you should also clean the nearby rails with a damp cloth or a fine rubber eraser that removes the small black spots that accumulate over time.

nagelfeilen.jpg

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2024 11:48:27(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome Dr. Miguel! Intermittent rail and or wheel contact current lapses are common. Don't let it discourage you. The slightest bit of dust or grime can cause it. Also the wheel pickup wipers are floating. The tension against the inside of the wheel is different on curves than on straight track. Once a layout is permanently fastened down, the track connections are better.
Roco digital locomotives have a buffer capacitor to aid in dirty track spots by storing power for the motor and sound. Marklin is beginning to include them in some newer ones, and they sell one for aftermarket installation for about 40 euros. Their new led coach lighting kit has it also.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mvd71  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2024 15:52:56(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I tried to run the loco faster for a long time and then the dead spots were disappearing or diminishing.

Although it's a new layout, it is set in a garage prone to some dust and temperature changes over the day.

Ok, if the dead spots reduced or disappeared then it is definitely the pukos. Make a note of where it happens then give those spots a light rub on the pukos with fine emory tape/sandpaper.

The problem you are having is caused by corrosion on the pukos. It’s a problem for all Märklin H0 track. The good news is that it will clear up with the treatment. Please note, do not use a small wire brush, because this will remove the wood coloured paint from the sleepers.

Cheers….

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Carias205  
#10 Posted : 27 January 2024 16:08:11(UTC)
Carias205

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Welcome Dr. Miguel! Intermittent rail and or wheel contact current lapses are common. Don't let it discourage you. The slightest bit of dust or grime can cause it. Also the wheel pickup wipers are floating. The tension against the inside of the wheel is different on curves than on straight track. Once a layout is permanently fastened down, the track connections are better.
Roco digital locomotives have a buffer capacitor to aid in dirty track spots by storing power for the motor and sound. Marklin is beginning to include them in some newer ones, and they sell one for aftermarket installation for about 40 euros. Their new led coach lighting kit has it also.

Thank you for your help BigGrin BigGrin
Offline Carias205  
#11 Posted : 27 January 2024 16:29:26(UTC)
Carias205

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post

Ok, if the dead spots reduced or disappeared then it is definitely the pukos. Make a note of where it happens then give those spots a light rub on the pukos with fine emory tape/sandpaper.

The problem you are having is caused by corrosion on the pukos. It’s a problem for all Märklin H0 track. The good news is that it will clear up with the treatment. Please note, do not use a small wire brush, because this will remove the wood coloured paint from the sleepers.

Cheers….

Mike

I was admired because it's new track, freshly bought. It happens usually in the junctions or in turnouts aswell.
Thank you for your help BigGrin
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 27 January 2024 17:10:19(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, even more so in a turnout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline rhfil  
#13 Posted : 27 January 2024 23:27:10(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I found felt furniture pads which come in sheets with an adhesive backer. I cut squares out of them slightly larger than the rails and put rubbing alcohol on the felt to clean the C-track. Never abrade the rails as that creates more surface to collect gunk.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline mvd71  
#14 Posted : 28 January 2024 06:26:54(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
I found felt furniture pads which come in sheets with an adhesive backer. I cut squares out of them slightly larger than the rails and put rubbing alcohol on the felt to clean the C-track. Never abrade the rails as that creates more surface to collect gunk.[/quote

Totally correct. Good advice!
Offline costing  
#15 Posted : 28 January 2024 09:10:56(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Track cleaning was discussed in the past, for example in https://www.marklin-user...cience-of-track-cleaning .

In short, don't use anything abrasive. Don't use alcohol either, but mineral spirits or other contact cleaning fluid. After cleaning apply a bit of graphite to the inner part of the rail head and the top of the puckos.

And the ultimate advice, buy locos with or install after market buffer capacitors (otherwise called keep alive capacitors). They will keep the loco running over any spots that might develop and help clean the spot in the process.

Cheers,

.costin
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by costing
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 28 January 2024 12:14:00(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have used a Roco rubber for more than 40 years and never had any bother with the track. Quick once round every two weeks is fine and also run trains which also helps. Keep the slider and wheels clean.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 28 January 2024 14:10:13(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I've had a Roco rubber for decades and it isn't as abrasive as sandpaper. No noticable wear.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999