Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline egonzinc  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2024 03:12:20(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
I recently bought several of the Marklin 47106 cars.
I also recently found a vendor in Austria called Truckmo who has an amazing variety of trucks and containers.
Was planning to glue the containers to the cars, but then thought about the variety of being able to change the loads.
When I got the containers and the Marklin 47106 (these cars have a spot for almost any combination possible of 20' containers. 40'containers, 20' caged tanks, 24' container tanks)
BUT the containers have a hole and so do the cars.
So I was wondering, are there some HO scale locating pegs, "male" on both ends, that I could use to attach loads to the cars without glueing them permanently?

I have looked around the internet and have found nothing.

Thanks in advance

Eduardo
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2024 04:28:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There are several options for fitting containers on your Sgns cars. Herpa has an adapter 084192 which can be used for mounting 20 foot containers with sockets on cars from Maerklin (and others with sockets). I have managed to mount a Bertschi 40 foot tank container on one of my Maerklin cars using a pair of these.
IMG_2549.jpeg
IMG_2550.jpeg

Another option would be the kit from PT Trains, which are little pins that can be inserted into the car sockets and will then hold the containers in place.

https://www.herpa.de/en/...Content-10-pieces/084192

https://www.pwrs.ca/anno...ements/view.php?ID=17498
http://www.pttrains.pt/i...lers/pins-for-containers

The SBB Sgns can be found in international traffic, but are primarily used by SBB Cargo and rented to third parties for traffic in Switzerland.
They can be found in trains between Swiss harbours (Basel) and terminals and destinations within Switzerland.
Some rental/lease use may consist of trains that travel through Switzerland, as SBB Cargo competes with Wascosa, Hupac and others for this rent/lease business.
You can use the 47106 to expand the 47096 SBB Cargo car set and the new 47463 set. You can move one or two containers from other cars or leave one or two cars empty.

The ideal way to find containers to put on these cars might be the container sets 76550/76552 40 foot container sets or the 76551/76553 20 foot container sets.
https://www.huenerbein.d...r-Set-40-4-St./540-76550

I have found that even some of the containers intended for use with Maerklin cars (the 47051.005 Herpa "Geest" containers) did not properly line up with the sockets on the cars.

If you use the 084192 adaptors, you can use almost any Herpa 20 foot containers, be it regular, square tank or 23 foot round tank containers. Matter of fact, these are the same parts that Maerklin included with the 47051-47054 cars.

In order to create some variety, I moved some containers from my 47441 type cars to some of my 47106 type cars, including the Dreier (47441), Natural (47449) and Capital (47449). Those cars are now running with my Bell, SBB and other loads (taken from 4851, 4852).

Huenerbein has a wide selection of 20 foot containers (Herpa, Kombimodell) that can be used with the Herpa adaptors, as does Eyro in Switzerland.
I remember reading that Faller containers also have pins, but have not tried any of them with the Maerklin cars.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2024 13:32:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: egonzinc Go to Quoted Post

So I was wondering, are there some HO scale locating pegs, "male" on both ends, that I could use to attach loads to the cars without glueing them permanently?

I would look at gluing short pieces of piano wire into the container holes. A spot of cynoacrylite glue as you push the wire in, hold it for a few seconds, then cut it off to length.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2024 13:47:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I have a couple of Roco container sets, and the optional yellow clip on parts included fit onto the edges of my Marklin cars. With some containers offloaded in the intermodal yard, the wagons can haul others.
Offline egonzinc  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2024 21:30:29(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
Thanks guys and specially to Mike for his detailed response.

After reading it, I began thinking for an alternative.

Thought that I might have some very thin styrene rods that I could use as pegs as I began to like the idea of not glueing the containers to the cars, more and more by the minute!
Looking for rods, I found a packet of floral wire and the size seemed about perfect.
So I decided to try it out.
Initially I cut very small pieces of the wire and glued them with thick CA glue to the containers. Here Mike's comment of only adding pins to two of the diagonal corners, proved to be brilliant as it would cut the process in HALF!
I was anxious to test it out, so after waiting for a short time for the glue to dry, I cut the floral wire with wire cutters, leaving only a very small pin on the container. I then sanded the sides with a sanding stick and file.
It worked very well!
In one of the containers, the pin came out while sanding, but that was due in great part to me not waiting for the glue to dry!
As I began tackling, first the 26' tank containers, I realized there was no reason to make the wire pieces so small. I had cut several pieces, maybe 3/16". I had to use tweezers to get the glue on one end and then place the wire on the containers.
So, I began cutting the floral wire in longer pieces, until I went with pieces maybe a bit longer than 1/4" which made the process a lot easier as I could just use my fingers to run one end of the wire on a blob of CA glue and place the wire on the container's hole. Time consuming, yes, but hard it was not!

I just saw the comment of piano wire which is more or less what I used.

I would post some images, but I can't figure out how to do it. I don't have images hosted anymore.

Thanks again to all!!!
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 20 January 2024 22:02:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I usually type my post, then submit it. Once done, select edit, pick the location you want to add the photo and click on the paperclip icon which allows you to attach files.
It will open a pop up where you can drag the file or photo to and then upload it to the server.
Once done, complete any other edits (description, etc) and click on post and the photo will now appear along with your text

Regards

MC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bosse  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2024 07:05:18(UTC)
Bosse

Sweden   
Herpa 084192 perhaps. Bosse

Edited by user 22 January 2024 08:27:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bosse