Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline egonzinc  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2023 22:10:40(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
The last few days I have been watching many videos on youtube, looking for techiniques from other Marklin collectors in making the C track look more realistic.
Found plenty, but I have been surprised to the extent that some collectors attack the C track.
In the 90s I built a layout with my brother in law using M track and we added some ballast to the sides of the metal tracks. It worked very well as we made a ballast mix that looked very similar to the M track stock ballast.
But what I have found in youtube videos is a lot more invasive.
Have seen one that added ballast between the rails. Another one painted the C track, the whole piece, in a brown color, covering everything! That collector then added ballast on the edges and then added ballast between the rails and added glue to fix the ballast in place.
I must admit, I was very surprised.
Would like to hear what collectors that use C track do in this forum.
I'm familiar with the Woodland Scenics offerings. What size and color would be the best match for Marklin C track?

Still not sure that I want to either paint the track or add ballast, but I'm looking for suggestions in case I later decide to go that route.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or suggestions.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2023 22:29:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Opinions vary, but if C-Track isn't ballasted then you really need to find a colour matched ballast if you are just looking to run some down the sides to blend in the scenery, without having the track look like it is sitting on top of the scenery. IIRC Busch do supply a ballast that is colour matched to Marklin C-Track.

However if a different colour ballast or track bed is desired then one needs to either paint the C-Track, or ballast all over it. It probably doesn't need more than a bit of a sprinkle between the rails to have sufficient colour change to get away from the plastic colour of C-Track.

Some people find the sides of C-Track to be rather steep as a ballast shape, and so will ease that by blending the slope into the scenery so shape of the sides isn't so steep. It can also look much better with the sides of the rails painted with a rust colour instead of being a shiny colour of newly laid prototype track. It doesn't need a lot of paint, and if the paint is really 'wet' it is possible to overdo it and it doesn't look right. Real world track beds will also have a spread of a rust film over it from the wear and tear of passing trains, so it is not unrealistic to airbrush to complete track bed close to the rails.

It is worth going out to any rail track and just look at how it has weathered since the last load of ballast was placed. If you can find a spot where some fresh ballast has been laid you can really see the difference of the natural weathering. It all depends on how much effort you wish to put into your layout.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2024 12:35:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I mixed two shades of grey talus and ballast in two grain sizes and I'm satisfied with the look. If you look closely at c track, you see random sized pebbles.
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2024 15:13:49(UTC)
Goofy

No need to choice of the color ballast when you can cover the C-tracks by use special plastic glue for the ballast.
I did planned to test some C-tracks but found out unnecessary waste of time since Märklins C-tracks are expensive and load.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2024 16:15:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I find Märklin's C Track is quite good BUT there is no way avoiding painting the rail's sides in brownish color (dark brown with a hint of rust). I apply the paint (acrylic mixed with a little water) with a fine brush.
Another step is to use some "ballast" on the track side to make the line less abrupt. Alternately, using foam-core board, reducing the level change between track and the surrondings (access for maintenance is not great).
A finish touch with an air brush can give a very realistic look to the track.
Yes some glue blallast between the sleepers but better not have 50 m of track to do.

Last the most intrusive way with C track (I use it) is to cut the rail or the point to obtain any track piece you want
24630-IMG_4432R.jpg

C track is really fun
Happy New Year
Jean
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2024 06:00:04(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
In recent years Marklin have been advocating (via their books) the ultimate layout would be a hybrid of C and K track. Here is one such book and I enclose some photos showing their ideas, in some cases the C track is painted and ballasted and laid on top of the scenery in first few photos, but elsewhere in the book they show the C track connected to K track and cut inot the scenery and ballasted and painted to match the K track, and in some photos its hard to tell which is which, and clearly a lot of time (and money) has been spent to match. Merkur who make the ballasted trackbed for K track also used to make loose ballast to match for such occasions.

2.jpg

17.jpg
16.jpg
19.jpg
15.jpg
14.jpg
22.jpg
13.jpg

There are other examples on this forum of modules built with C track which have been ballasted and look great. Such as this one

Originally Posted by: esgovipa Go to Quoted Post
Br96 024 DRG 🇩🇪

Lok: Märklin 39661
Freight cars: Märklin and Fleischmann

?si=5mwuWhItwSVj1Egl

I hope these give you some inspiration and ideas

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline turbotterry  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2024 16:39:40(UTC)
turbotterry

United States   
I had some flat latex paint custom-mixed to match the C track color. I paint that in the area where I'm going to lay track. Once that's dry, I lay the track and screw it down, then sprinkle Noch dark gray ballast between the tracks and bond it in place. The last step is to paint the sides of the rails a rust color.

As an experiment I applied ballast on the sides of the roadbed in one area, but decided that I prefer the way it looks without that.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by turbotterry