Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Richard Joint  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2023 04:59:24(UTC)
Richard Joint

Honduras   
I have been growing my Ctrack layout for over two years and little by little I am updating by region and working on going full digital at least in part. Originally I placed droppers everywhere and hooked them up to a switchboard also arranged by zone. Sometimes some 30 switches. In my opinion, total overkill and in retrospect, a waste of time crawling around under the table, though I suppose it did help find glitches. Guess where most of the glitches were found? Spade adapters coming loose. I have tried soldering to the spade (does not help if the spade comes loose) I have tried eliminating the spade and soldering to the tag.(Lot of work and subject to shorts, breaking, in either case, have to lift the track !). I thought the solution would be a combination of Spade plus someway to glue the wiring under the track to protect the spade attachment. (This proved a pain and the glue would either make it impossible to get under the track or it did not hold and the wiring came loose). Surely there must be a simple reliable system, like M Track or other manufacturers' ways of connecting to the track. It does not matter how sophisticated and beautiful your wiring can look with the huge variety of easy connectors, baskets, etc if the spade is not reliable. Has enybody found a way around the spade adapter? Love to hear about it.
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2023 08:42:01(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
All my cable connections to tracks are soldered. Turnout cables goes under the layout where they are connected to ”bus” cables. Haven’t had a single C track cable connection problem… yet.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2023 09:32:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Richard
Yes, soldering the wire directly on the rail is a permanent solution but sometimes not so convenient.
So spade connectors may be very helpful.
It seems to me that track male spade connectors don't have the standard thickness so it is important to wacht for the orientation of the female connector (Märklin 74995).
When plugging on a rail, the open and curled part of the connector must be facing down (away from the track).
Also, when rfe-using a female connector (from another rail), because the "embossing" of the male connector varies from rail to rail, you must check its tightness and possibly, make it tighter by squeezing gently the two curled parts
Sans titre.png
Note: you may find these connectors on the electronic market but often they are adjusted for thicker male connectors
A professional crimpling tool is a great help to secure the wire
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2023 22:47:10(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
To decide whether I wanted to continue with Marklin I bought a starter kit and by far the hardest part of building the layout was attaching the power supply to a track. I have learned from trial and error that the male and female connectors are often incompatible enough to make the joining extremely difficult. Doing the joining on a separate track helps and then doing the final joining and squeezing the female coupler with needle nose pliers to ensure a tight fit helps. Also testing for continuity before completing the layout helps. I just wish they had the same C-track feeder that they have for M-track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2023 23:48:53(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi rhfil
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
To decide whether I wanted to continue with Marklin I bought a starter kit and by far the hardest part of building the layout was attaching the power supply to a track. I have learned from trial and error that the male and female connectors are often incompatible enough to make the joining extremely difficult. Doing the joining on a separate track helps and then doing the final joining and squeezing the female coupler with needle nose pliers to ensure a tight fit helps. Also testing for continuity before completing the layout helps. I just wish they had the same C-track feeder that they have for M-track.

I have to disagree with you BUT there is a little trick
1- take the crimpled female connector so that the "open" side is facing you
2- insert the female connector into the tip of the male contact, forcing it at a 20° angle outwards so that you may slide the connector all the way

NEVER try to squeeze the female contact once it is in place (only before insertion)

Finished. It works all the time
Cheers
Jean