Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline camcath  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2023 08:06:46(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Hello

I have a cab control car 43831 which had an unfortunate end today and I'd be grateful for any assistance on how to repair, including parts needed. Below shows the damage:

Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 6.05.01 pm.pngScreenshot 2023-12-10 at 6.03.38 pm.png

Many thanks

Cameron
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by camcath
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2023 13:04:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I compared it to mine Cameron, and it looks like your bogie is kaput. Is this item still in the Marklin parts database? A new old stock bogie may be available. Even if you found the broken piece from the center hole contact, cementing it back in so it doesn't bind the metal post Will be tricky. If the wheels stay on when rolling and running, then the broken frame end in the picture is not detrimental.a black wire solders to the copper piece., and a red wire to the center pin inside the hole.
The other option is to eliminate this mechanical reversing switch and install a function decoder which could also control interior lighting. Newer Marklin control cab cars use it.
I looked it up and it was reissued this year. The parts list doesn't show the bogie in stock, only the contact pin, and insulator.
Offline camcath  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2023 14:03:18(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Thanks Troy, yes, I had checked stock and saw bogie not available. Are you able to point me to a 'how to' guide for installing decoder as you've suggested? This makes sense as I want to fit LED lighting to the consist. Many thanks.

Cameron
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by camcath
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 10 December 2023 15:00:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I havn't done one, but I have installed led kits in my cab car. Because these have led headlight/tail they have hte needed resisstors already. If you use Marklin kits, they have resistance as well, so no blinking. You only need an mfx function only decoder. If you don't habve an MS2 or CS3, an older type can work.