Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline matiSon  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2023 05:21:27(UTC)
matiSon

United States   
I am designing a ho layout with both K and C track. I am trying to plan it out on AnyRail, but in order to do things properly, I need to know the part numbers for the track I am using. Most of the track has 4 digit numbers starting with 21 or 22, but on some of the track, I cannot find any numbers. Is there a hidden spot that I am not aware of?

If not, does anyone have ideas on how I can identify the un-numbered track?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by matiSon
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2023 06:53:13(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Congrats to your new project! I like the combo of C and K tracks: C tracks in hidden areas because they are so easy to lay and to power. K tracks in visible areas, for the great look of flex tracks!

I believe most forum members would recommend to include 22xx tracks only. The older 21xx tracks had rails made from plate. The 22xx have solid rails and thus better power transmission capability.

You can find all current K tracks on the Märklin website.

Later in your project, I would recommend the usage of Merkur trackbed.

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline cintrans  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2023 13:44:00(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Try this one for the 22xx pieces
https://wiki.3rail.nl/index.php/K-Rail_Geometrie

Regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 09 December 2023 14:31:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It can be challenging at some combination sections as a standard C and K section are different lengths. At least cutting K track is easier than C.
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 09 December 2023 15:52:43(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
If you cannot find a number on some of your K track it could be that they are pieces cut from a flex track. Generally the K track numbering is on the first tie at one end.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline matiSon  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2023 17:38:59(UTC)
matiSon

United States   
“I believe most forum members would recommend to include 22xx tracks only. The older 21xx tracks had rails made from plate. The 22xx have solid rails and thus better power transmission capability.”

Thank you for you reply and for the information which I will definitely use. I had noticed that some of my 21xx track is rusted. I set it aside, and may use it on any unpowered sections if needed.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by matiSon
Offline matiSon  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2023 17:47:11(UTC)
matiSon

United States   
I saw that someone had mentioned Merkur track bed. I was considering using a box of 1 meter cork strips that I have. The problem is that the cork is dried out. Is there a way to bring back some of the flexibility without ruining the cork?
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2023 19:21:58(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
When you say the cork is dried out, are you saying it is brittle and breaks if you try to shape it? Since cork is exposed to water when ballasting track you could always try and soak a strip in some water and see if it regains its bendability.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline matiSon  
#9 Posted : 10 December 2023 23:58:14(UTC)
matiSon

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
When you say the cork is dried out, are you saying it is brittle and breaks if you try to shape it? Since cork is exposed to water when ballasting track you could always try and soak a strip in some water and see if it regains its bendability.

Yes the cork does break easily when bent. I was worried about ruining it if I soaked it, but since it is useless the way it is, I don’t have much to lose.

Also, in response to those who mentioned that certain older 21xx K track is not good to use, I have found that to be the case with my first test loop. Much of the track is rusted, and it has many dead spots even after cleaning it. With the C track that I have, about half of it is extremely brittle. It breaks very easily, even when I exercise extreme care. Luckily, I have a new box of K flex track on order. I will use that in the most visible and heavily traveled areas. I wish that I had done more research prior to buying the defective track. It also would have been nice if the seller mentioned the issue. I would never sell something defective without at least stating the potential problems.