Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Luna  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2023 05:08:50(UTC)
Luna

United States   
Has anybody come up with a way to put the 74030 insulator on the track rail? I seem to be able to put a couple on no problem and then I run into a piece of track that will not accept the insulator. Is there some trick to consistently get them on? Maybe soften them with hot water? I've already ruined a fair amount of track pieces due to the insulator distorting the rail during application. Can't use pliers either as they ruin the insulator. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Luna
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2023 06:27:10(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I usually use tweezers to "push" the metal sheets together a little, according to the blue arrows. After this, I find it easy to apply the insulator.

Paper.Journal.1.jpeg

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2023 09:47:43(UTC)
H0

I apply the red cup at the corner of the inner lid, then gently push the inner lid to the outside of the track, then push the cup over both lids.
Same effect as PeFu's method, but without a pair of tweezers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Flupke  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2023 14:39:04(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
I usually use tweezers to "push" the metal sheets together a little, according to the blue arrows. After this, I find it easy to apply the insulator.

Paper.Journal.1.jpeg

So you squeeze shut the outside connector, but what do you do with the connector where the insulator goes into. I have tried to pry the insulator between the two metal prongs, but it doesn't seem to hold the insulator in place. It is not clear from the picture how the insulator is held in place.

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2023 15:29:17(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Flupke Go to Quoted Post
I have tried to pry the insulator between the two metal prongs, but it doesn't seem to hold the insulator in place.
You push the insulator over a pair of metal prongs.
To make this easier, you can squeeze them together with a pair of tweezers.

The red insulators can be used for the centre-rail (inside prongs) and for the outer rails (outside prongs).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Flupke  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2023 02:55:11(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Flupke Go to Quoted Post
I have tried to pry the insulator between the two metal prongs, but it doesn't seem to hold the insulator in place.
You push the insulator over a pair of metal prongs.
To make this easier, you can squeeze them together with a pair of tweezers.

The red insulators can be used for the centre-rail (inside prongs) and for the outer rails (outside prongs).

Thanks, I had not seen that there was a hole in which the metal prongs were supposed to slide in. I got it to go in using tweezers.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2023 22:13:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Luna
Originally Posted by: Luna Go to Quoted Post
Has anybody come up with a way to put the 74030 insulator on the track rail? I seem to be able to put a couple on no problem and then I run into a piece of track that will not accept the insulator. Is there some trick to consistently get them on? Maybe soften them with hot water? I've already ruined a fair amount of track pieces due to the insulator distorting the rail during application. Can't use pliers either as they ruin the insulator. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Luna

There is a simple way. No tweezers needed, simply push the insulator sleeve in blue arrow direction without excessive force. Works every time! Do not hesitate to trash damaged sleeves
Sans titre.png

Note: there may be some tricky tracks where probably force was exerted on the contacts. The result is not both contacts are at the same, "altitude" resulting into difficulties inserting the sleeve. First make sure both contacts face each other before inserting the sleeve

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Luna  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2023 04:06:04(UTC)
Luna

United States   
I still have to insist that Marklin couldn't have made something that should be simple so difficult for someone that has normal sized fingers if they had purposely tried to. This is the only way they could figure out how to insulate their tracks? I also know that I'm not the only idiot that has trouble putting those nasty things on the rails. Thanks to all who have come up with ideas of how to get them on. I maybe get one success for four screw ups. At this point I've given up trying to make contact tracks.
Done with rant.
Thanks,
Luna
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Luna
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 12 November 2023 01:21:00(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Good point about normal sized fingers. I get around that by using tweezers to put them in place, where they often stay for years.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj