Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklin30  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2023 04:47:51(UTC)
Marklin30

United States   
I bought my first box of Marklin K flex track (2205). I notice that rail fasteners are missing in four areas, approx. 150-170mm apart, along the 900mm length of the track. (photo shows one of the four areas). All ten tracks in the box have the same issue.
Is this a defect, or are Marklin 2205 flex tracks produced like this for some reason?

IMG-2296.jpg
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2023 10:57:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Montana (A first name would be great, I think)
A warm welcome to this great forum of Märklin fans.
Here a crazy fan of Märklin digital HO with PC control (Rocrail)

K flexible track from Märklin is made of stainless steel rails, a flexible sleeper assembly with tie clips in which the rail is clipsed (slid inside).
A stamped (soft) steel is comb-shaped with bent extremities to provide the studs for central current pick-up. This "comb" is alternately on one side or the other to allow any bending without changing the total length of the flexible rail assembly (up to a point).
On some locations there are no tie clips ON PURPOSE to insert various optional components like the 7500 geound connector
Sans titre.png
but also catenary masts (7509; 7510, 7512) and K-Track signals like 7237, 7238, 7239, 7240, 7242

To be fair, I am not a big fan of K track because it is not finely detailled, its contact system does not cohabit well with the glue used when ballasting (many contact issues) and its switches are assembled like a jalopy. Far better is the C Track which becomes really prototype-like if you take the pain to paint the rails sides with a rust color using a marker or a fine brush and acrylic paint.
Here is a glimpse of my digital HO layout where you may see both K flexible track and all the rest is C Track

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline BenP  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2023 14:59:31(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Quote:

K flexible track from Märklin is made of stainless steel rails, a flexible sleeper assembly with tie clips in which the rail is clipsed (slid inside).
A stamped (soft) steel is comb-shaped with bent extremities to provide the studs for central current pick-up. This "comb" is alternately on one side or the other to allow any bending without changing the total length of the flexible rail assembly (up to a point).
On some locations there are no tie clips ON PURPOSE to insert various optional components like the 7500 geound connector
but also catenary masts (7509; 7510, 7512) and K-Track signals like 7237, 7238, 7239, 7240, 7242

To be fair, I am not a big fan of K track because it is not finely detailled, its contact system does not cohabit well with the glue used when ballasting (many contact issues) and its switches are assembled like a jalopy. Far better is the C Track which becomes really prototype-like if you take the pain to paint the rails sides with a rust color using a marker or a fine brush and acrylic paint.
Here is a glimpse of my digital HO layout where you may see both K flexible track and all the rest is C Track

Cheers
Jean

With a track bed, like Merkur's, K track, to me, looks best of m-c-k family. I have not experimented with its characteristics in a more complicated track layout, however. I use it as express track for fast intercity trains (like Koploper).
20230321_143715.jpg
20230321_175631.jpg
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2023 15:31:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You can also cut K track and section in as needed using the rail joiners. Not an issue with all K track, but say you want to use C track, and K track on a bridge for correct profile height, be careful. The C and K standard striaght sections are not of equal length.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Marklin30  
#5 Posted : 01 November 2023 17:23:05(UTC)
Marklin30

United States   
Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

Cheers
Jean

Jean,
Thank you for the K track information. I guess that if the track is ballasted along with many other layout details, the lack of fasteners would not be noticeable. Also, thanks for the video of your excellent layout. Very nice work. I have been collecting trains starting in 1955, but have never built a layout.
Best regards,
George
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2023 18:39:56(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The flexible K-track is made like this on purpose.
Aparently they (Märklin & Cie GMBH) found it OK to re-use the plastic sleeper-part of the 180cm long standard straight.
It´s a little annoying, but not an issue for its functioning.

The track-piece has another interesting "feature" that you should absolutly be aware of; Depending on the version (I know at least two different ones) you can find "grips" for the rails into the plastic sleepers at each end of the piece. Except ONE of the rails in ONE of the ends; This is important to know about when you want to flex the track and needs to shorten one of the rails; The plastic-sleepers (and thus the pukos!) flex differently left and right; To ONE side it will compact the sleepers and you will need to cut one of the rails (This "correct" method). To the OTHER side it will strech the sleepers, and you will need to add a piece of rail on one of the sides (the "wrong" method).
Anyway; there should be a small paper-instruction included in each box explaining the situation.

Apart from that;
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

I highly doubt that is the reason, as all these pieces fits perfectly anywhwere on any other track piece.
It doesnt matter if there are tie clips or not.

Also;
Quote:

its contact system does not cohabit well with the glue used when ballasting (many contact issues)

Older versions of the track had copper tounges for connecting the mittelleiter between each piece, but today they use another material (phosphorized copper¿?), which doesnt oxidise any more than any C-track piece.
Anyhow... My own layout, which has a LOT of traditionally ballasted K-track (even with copper-connectors) works perfectly still.
Some of my oldest K-track has been ballasted 2 times before on previous layouts, washed out and re-used over the last 30 years.
You could also use BenP´s suggestion of using Merkur bedding which should solve any glue-problems.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Marklin30  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2023 18:56:34(UTC)
Marklin30

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
The flexible K-track is made like this on purpose.
Aparently they (Märklin & Cie GMBH) found it OK to re-use the plastic sleeper-part of the 180cm long standard straight.
It´s a little annoying, but not an issue for its functioning.

The track-piece has another interesting "feature" that you should absolutly be aware of; Depending on the version (I know at least two different ones) you can find "grips" for the rails into the plastic sleepers at each end of the piece. Except ONE of the rails in ONE of the ends; This is important to know about when you want to flex the track and needs to shorten one of the rails; The plastic-sleepes (and thus the pukos!)flex differently left and right; To ONE side it will compact the sleepers and you will need to cut one of the rails. To the OTHER side it will strech the sleepers, and you will need to add a piece of rail on one of the sides.
Anyway; there should be a small paper-instruction included in each box explaining the situation.

Apart from that;
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

I highly doubt that is the reason, as all these pieces fits perfectly anywhwere on any other track piece.
It doesnt matter if there are tie clips or not.

Also;
Quote:

its contact system does not cohabit well with the glue used when ballasting (many contact issues)

Older versions of the track had copper tounges for connecting the mittelleiter between each piece, but today they use another material, which doesnt oxidise anymore than any C-track piece.
Anyhow... My own layout, which has a LOT of traditionally ballasted K-track (even with copper-connectors) works perfectly still.
Some of my oldest K-track has been ballasted 2 times before on previous layouts, washed out and re-used over the last 30 years.
You could also use BenP´s suggestion of using Merkur bedding should solve the glue-problems, IF you dont know how to glue properly, or dont have acid-free glue.

Thanks for the information. Seems like Marklin K track has many benefits, but also a few negatives. Are there any other manufacturers of center contact AC track besides Marklin that I should consider?

Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 01 November 2023 19:38:38(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
A bit off the subject but I recently saw a display of k-track which included the rail joiners for the outside tracks - not unlike that which is used in two track ho. Bur what no one at the time, most of us are m or c track, could explain was how the center rail was connected between sections.
Offline mvd71  
#9 Posted : 01 November 2023 21:38:57(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
There are no other manufacturers that come to mind other than Weichen Walter who makes limited production items such as prototypical radius turnouts etc…

I have used K track for years and the only issue I’ve had at times has been some of the turnout motors, but the most recent ones seem a little better. Like any track system it’s best performance is achieved if you are careful in how you lay the track. Using Merkur preballasted roadbed is a great option, and not too expensive if compare to the total cost of buying underlay and ballast to do had ballasting.

C track is often touted as being a big improvement of K track, but we have used it in the club I belong to for at 15-20 years, and it has exhibited many of the same problems K track can have.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents.

Cheers….

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline applor  
#10 Posted : 01 November 2023 21:39:35(UTC)
applor

Australia   
The big advantage for K track is you can cut any piece of track and attached the rail piece (7595).

This allows near unlimited curve/track geometry for your layout. You can also use 3rd party turnouts (peco/WeichenWalter) to allow even more flexibility.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Marklin30  
#11 Posted : 01 November 2023 23:19:35(UTC)
Marklin30

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
The big advantage for K track is you can cut any piece of track and attached the rail piece (7595).

This allows near unlimited curve/track geometry for your layout. You can also use 3rd party turnouts (peco/WeichenWalter) to allow even more flexibility.

Very interesting. I assume you would use the same code 100 rail in the turnouts, but what about electrical current for locos traveling over a PECO turnout for example.
Thanks very much.