Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I. Partenheimer  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2023 04:52:19(UTC)
I. Partenheimer

United States   
Hi all,
Could anyone tell me about the power requirements (trackside) for a Märklin 3003 set (~1970) . It originally came with a 240V control unit which has been misplaced. After all these years, I would like to see it operate again. I found a topic here in another post about the locomotives using about 0.5A for the older models. It didn't mention if it was AC or DC on the output. I looked through the user manual, but its in German. There are some formulas in it, but no schematics or anything that would give me a clue so I am hoping an expert here can point me in the right direction. Since it was purchased in Germany its input would be 240Vac. If anyone can tell me what the output would be, I can probably build something that would work.

Thank you all for any help or directions or next week's winning lottery numbers.. lol
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2023 09:27:57(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: I. Partenheimer Go to Quoted Post
Since it was purchased in Germany its input would be 240Vac.
Since it was bought in Germany, the input was 220 V AC.
The loco needs up to 16 V AC (or DC) to drive and about 24 V AC (or DC) to reverse the direction.
Older transformers have an output range of 8 through 16 V for driving, newer types have 4 to 16 V. Some newer motors start well before 8 V.

Transformers like Märklin 6647, 66470, and 66471 are appropriate choices for 230 V mains voltage (Europe).

There is Märklin 6646 for 120 V mains voltage (e.g. USA).
Link to product database:6646
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2023 05:51:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
AJCKids in Texas at one point had transformers from Start Sets that were available at good prices. I'm not certain if this is still the case.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c