Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2023 01:20:42(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Hello Everyone, Its been quite a while since I was last here. After a move from a 3 brm unit to a caravan (Aussie rental crisis) I am giving my remaining 4 Marklin train sets to my church sunday school and writing lesson plans to teach them all about Christian journeys using train start stops etc as an analogy .

While most kids do not have trains, some fathers have older Hornby carriages with metal wheels they may want to add to the collection. I have already told all NO 2 rail capable engines are to put on the tracks

My Question is:
Is the any danger of creating short circuits damaging MS2 or infra-red controllers by putting non Marklin rolling stock with metal wheels on active C track?

Thanks in advance
Shanny
Offline heinrichhess  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2023 01:46:44(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
old Hornby dublo are 3 rail and their is no problem with shorting out the main problem is depth of wheel flange clearing switches

hess
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Offline ShannonN  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2023 05:59:06(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Thanks for that info, but I guess I should've clarified the Hornby stuff others have are 2 rails only
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2023 11:01:04(UTC)
H0

There is no general risk of short circuit with two-rail rolling stock with insulated wheels on three-rail tracks.
If the wheel spacing is too large, they may derail on turnouts leading to short circuits afterwards.

Such short circuits should not damage the MS2. Derailed Märklin rolling stock is more likely to create a short circuit after derailing.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2023 00:41:31(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone, ...... I have already told all NO 2 rail capable engines are to put on the tracks
My Question is:
Is the any danger of creating short circuits damaging MS2 or infra-red controllers by putting non Marklin rolling stock with metal wheels on active C track?

Thanks in advance
Shanny

Hi Shannon,
As Tom mentions in previous post, there is no danger at all in putting 2 rail locos or rolling stock on the tracks.
The locos just will not run because the 2 rails on C track are the same ground (negative) polarity.
The loco is not getting any current at all because it has no slider to pick up the positive polarity from the centre pukos.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow