Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TLS  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2023 02:38:47(UTC)
TLS

United States   
Just bought an untested Marklin 0 6 0 Mini Club Steam Locomotive Z Scale from EBAY. I guess untested means they couldn't get it to work. Anyway I believe the bushings are bad and I may change the motor out, but it didn't come in a box so I don't have any numbers. Just wondering if anyone can tell me which bushings and maybe motor to get. Thanks.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2023 07:41:34(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well. Welcome to the forum. I guess it is a possibility your seller did not know much about this item. Hope you got a bargain.

This model was among the first Marklin z scale produced and was sold as number 8800/8805. It was sold in millions of Marklin starter sets and was advertised extensively to announce this new scale to the world. (The was in 1972) This is known as a tank locomotive which has water tanks on each side of the boiler and is highlighted be the fact it has its own coal onboard. No tender required. Your model when working properly, is very reliable and able to pull an impressive number of wagons. I often have said it pulls more than you would expect. Surprisingly heavy, the weight is centered right over the drive wheels. Though originally a three pole motor, this model was update to a five pole, perhaps in the 90s. It is a very good locomotive for the beginner and a true symbol of the Marklin z scale hobby. It is a Br 89 and is out of production currently. It was replaced by the Br 80, but it is possible this one is out of production too.

Do you know if the armature is a three pole or a five pole? Three pole brushes are 8987 five pole are 89871.

Unfortunately, this locomotive uses the actual frame as a housing for the armature and not easily serviced or replaced. Because they are so reliable, and seldom seriously damaged, it is possible it only needs to be cleaned, oiled, and the brushes replaced. If a three poles, it should still perform well. Just clean it up and it will probably be okay. If you decide to do this yourself just be careful, the parts are small and easily lost. The coupler spring is famous for being hard to find. Search this forum for assistance with quartering the wheels and cleaning tips.

Here is a link to the Marklin parts diagram for this one:

https://www.maerklin.de/...elnummer=8805&lang=2

Again welcome to this great hobby. Take good care.

Dwight
Offline TLS  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2023 10:10:26(UTC)
TLS

United States   
Wow...what a lot of great information. I really appreciate the quick response! Overall I think it just needs a good cleaning and the brushes. Now thanks to you, I know which ones to get. It's a 3 pole, so hopefully the motor is ok, I guess I would need a puller to get it off, so I hope I wont have to do that. Got a good price on it and took a chance, I think it will work fine when I get done. Thanks again for the info!
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2023 15:22:28(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

You are right, if the armature is going to be removed, you need a small puller. I have not done this myself, but I have read about it here, that it is easier to just cut it off.

Since you know it is a three pole, I would mention, any of the brushes will work. If it was a five pole, don’t used 8987. If you need the armature kit, I think www.zscalehobo.com has them, in fact Frank could possibly do the work for you.

I bet you will have this small locomotive working in no time. It will surprise you.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline parakiet  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2023 11:35:29(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Do enjoy the 0-6-0 engines!
That small V60 shunter is a good puller too!

Actually I find all the 0-X-0 locomotives to be good :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Zme
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2023 04:05:29(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
If you are new to Marklin Z you may be unaware of "HOS" or "hardened oil syndrome" caused because the oil Marklin used long ago would congeal and clog the works. If your brushes are still in decent shape then I would suspect a good cleaning and maybe needing a toothpick, brush, etc will do the job. Be careful as some solvents will attack the paint. If the brushes are worn away then the loco was well used and it may not be HOS, just worn out. As pointed out above, if anyone could get it running it would be the Zscalehobo.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline TLS  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2023 12:55:29(UTC)
TLS

United States   
Want to give it a good cleaning. Got the new bushings. What is the best fluid to use to clean it? I heard some people use lighter fluid.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TLS
Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2023 13:19:20(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Marklin oil just goes to solid wax. No loco will move, forwards or backwards.

I use lighter fuel to clean locos, usually pull to pieces & put one bogie at a time (to make sure they go back on the correct end) in a container & shake. Then dry parts on paper towel / evaporate.

Make sure electricity is off. Lighter fuel is just clean petrol with the same catastrophic results if not careful.

Re-oil with Faller 170489 oil. Use it sparingly, don't over oil.

(Australia)
https://www.bunnings.com...ers-1l-shellite_p1563463
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme
Offline TLS  
#9 Posted : 06 September 2023 13:54:24(UTC)
TLS

United States   
Sounds like the plan! Now if I can just remember where I left the lighter fuel...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TLS
Zme
Offline husafreak  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2023 17:14:45(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Labelle 108 is another popular oil for these little engines and may be easier to get here in the US.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 07 September 2023 04:46:55(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

This one could surprise.

Although I have no experience, SR24 seems to work well. It looked as if the internals were so stuck on this video, they could not be removed.

This one was mentioned in an old post and this forum has many discussions about cleaning, disassembly etc, just use the search feature. I am sure lighter fluid works just as well.

SR24 is sold on eBay or other hobby vendors and is used on smoke generators for HO or in your burning building model. Might be less volatile.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Toosmall  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2023 05:15:38(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I have a 250ml container of SR24. It is good, but it is a bit oily.

This is where lighter fuel is good, it is not oily, it leaves you with an absolutely clean slate.

I also use lighter fuel to wipe down architectural models before painting. It removes oils from fingers so paint sticks properly on surface.

default_141.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme