Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dlwestphalen  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2023 03:02:32(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
Hello,

I am in the process of converting my old Marklin AC analog locos (all bought by my dad in late 60s) to digital.

So far, I have converted 9 locos, I am extremely satisfied with the results. In the ones I have more room, I am playing with different LEDs (white/red/strips).

I noticed that my 2 electric locos which were retrofitted with the 60977 decoder (mSD3 sound decoder - electric loco) have exactly the same sounds - which is understandable. After some investigation (reading lots of posts in this forum) I learned it is possible to program the decoders with different sounds and that Marklin has a large database with different loco sounds.

I am trying to change the sounds of my BR 103 (original 3053 retrofitted with high propulsion efficiency kit 60944 and mSD3 sound decoder 60977).

I am following the instructions of the mDecoderTool3 (version 3.6.0) and when I try to program the locomotive with the CS (I am not using a Decode programmer) I get the following error message:

DecoderTool3 error.png

I checked the firmware and bootloader versions and I got the following information:

Firmware Bootloader versions.png

Doing some research I learned these are not the latest version of the firmware and boo loader. With that in mind, I tried to use the option "Loco update", and I received the following error message:

CS3 bootloader error.png

Apparently I cannot update the firmware and bootloader of my decoder. I tried the same process with a few different locos (with retrofit decoder, with and without sound) and I always received the same message. Needless to say, I had the CS3 connected to the internet via Ethernet. Also, I am running my CS3 with the 2.4.1.0 update.

Questions:
Do I have to update the firmware and bootloader in order to program my decoder with different sounds? If so, how should I proceed?

Many thanks,

Denis Westphalen

PS1: I sent the question to Marklin and my hobby shop where I bought my CS3+ and decoders.
PS2: I followed the instructions provided by Jean to no avail https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t47388-Reprogramming-Factory-fitted-decoders

Offline bph  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2023 12:08:50(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
you should be able to read out the firmware in the setup tab. Apologies for asking the obvious, but is your locomotive alone on the programming track?

Have you tried to do a firmware check on other locomotives?, (from set up tab?). if other (newer) locomotives work then something is not right with that decoder.

but also note in the latest mdecodertool the projects are adapted to a newer decoder firmware than the cs3 currently has available for updates. I would be careful to upload those projects to a decoder with older firmware.
a new cs3 update with the latest decoder firmware is expected. It was expected to be released in the spring but was delayed.

Offline dlwestphalen  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2023 15:45:21(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, good question - I confirm I only have one loco on the track. I built a small independent oval for these tests.

No I cannot check the firmware of other locos on the Set Up page. I always get the same error message “The bootloader version request was not successful”. The problem occurs with old locos with retrofit decoders (I tried a few) as well as new digital locos (I only tried with one). I can only check the firmware info on the Configuration page.

Should I wait for the next cs3 update?

Thanks,
Denis
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2023 18:25:06(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi

Is your track connected to the main track output (green) or the programming track output (black)?
the error message you receive, is an indication that you are using the main track output and not the programming track.
cs3.jpg
Offline dlwestphalen  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2023 20:48:15(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
Interesting - never noticed the difference. Yes I am using the green output. I will test later today with the black output and report the results.

Thanks a lot!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dlwestphalen
bph
Offline dlwestphalen  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2023 01:37:20(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
IT WORKED. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Silly me ... I connected my "programming track" (a small track isolated from the layout) into the green output and never realized there was a different output for the official programming track.

Thank you so much!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dlwestphalen
bph
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2023 11:55:09(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: dlwestphalen Go to Quoted Post
IT WORKED. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Silly me ... I connected my "programming track" (a small track isolated from the layout) into the green output and never realized there was a different output for the official programming track.

Thank you so much!

We all do mistakes (I have done my good share) and sometimes it's only a wire in the wrong place, the hobby has become quite technical and it's easy to overlook something.

and doing your own decoder projects is satisfying and can really improve the locomotives.

as a side note, I have not seen that bootloader firmware is updated during firmware updates. I think that stays the same but I'm not absolutely sure. eg. I have some locomotives with firmware 3.2.2.1 and with bootloader 6.0.0.0

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph