Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahner  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2023 00:43:57(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
I'm currently working on a track design emulating a Swiss mountain line and I have a few questions for those with electric locs.

1. Are Marklin's Z scale electric locomotive's pantographs adjustable to any selected height (between completely collapsed and all the way up)?
2. What is the full height of your electric locomotive(s) with the pantograph all the way down and all the way up?

I'm trying to get a general idea of an appropriate tunnel and bridge height. I do realize that different electric locs can have different overall heights, but what might be considered a safe height dimension to shoot for for modern Marklin electric locomotive stock?

Ralph.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2023 01:36:08(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The pantographs are either up or down. They spring over centre for up & down.

I measured a handful with pantographs up not under catenary. The height on various locos range from 29mm to 32mm. Most around 30mm.

Don't forget you need enough height for the catenary. My catenary bends up a bit inside the tunnel, soldered to a section of rail at 90° across the tunnel. I only use catenary in the visible areas as it is a pain loading trains under catenary.
IMG_1391.jpg

I have 36mm from top of rail to under side of bridge. Should be 37mm for masts if there is one under a bridge. I was trying to save every mm in height for spiral.
63303crop.jpg
This modern tunnel is 59mm diameter & 40mm high at the centre above top of rails. Old tunnels 56mm diameter 37mm high. Both a few mm larger inside.

Road tunnel 38mm diameter & 25mm high.

Tunnel portals are bigger than one first realises. You can look up the ISO standards easily these days.

IMG_1411.jpg

_MG_7387.jpg

For maintaining 37mm height spirals at 2% gradient the track radius needs to be 295mm. I have my uphill track always on the outside so the downhill track always on the inside is tighter.

Don't go steeper than 2% otherwise you will get frustrated once built.

63120.jpg

A bit hard to see rail at 90° to solder catenary to. There are actually 2 rails for the catenary, one each for the inner & out catenary as they were at different distances into the tunnel. Ends of rail bent to lock in place. Just simply the easiest solution & bullet proof.
default_114.jpg

default_115.jpg

Do your ballast into the tunnel about 70 to 150mm depending on scenery viewing angle, before installing tunnel portals or you won't reach!

P.S. If you have any questions, please ask (I am an architectural model maker, retired). Get your master plan right before you lay the first piece of foundation, let alone track, will prevent endless stuff-ups. The simplest start is to draw out the layout to the Z scale on butchers paper. You can then place all the RLs (relative levels) for spirals etc. It may sound tedious but it is 1/100 as tedious as rebuilding. I have made a lot of money fixing architects' failure to get their design right. Including a major model for the 2000 Olympic games site in Sydney.

Edited by user 31 July 2023 06:20:27(UTC)  | Reason: Typo: If > It & architects' ( ' )

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Bahner  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2023 06:32:38(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Great, thanks for all the detailed info and nice work on your layout! I have had good success with my first Z scale layout using my own track plan. It's just the catenary that I haven't had any experience with (in any scale). I'm still considering whether I want to actually do true functional catenary, or opt for a convincing simulation with power coming from the track itself.

My preliminary layout design has ~5% grades due to multiple loops and limited length (will be portable), but all are descending (mountains to a valley floor). I plan to use a hidden helix to get the consist back to it's original starting point.

Ralph.
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2023 10:09:17(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
More information with catenary in this thread: https://www.marklin-user.../t36639-z-scale-catenary

Personally I can't see the point of powering via catenary. You will then need some form of catenary everywhere.

As I already mentioned loading trains under catenary is irritating.

Thirdly, because the track is DC, you will need to think through block sections & dead track in stations etc as power is only being used from one rail. There is probably an issue which direction the loco is pointing as it will only pick up power from one side, (Maybe someone with experience with powered Z catenary can clarify this). So you need to work out which rail will be the common powered rail.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2023 14:44:37(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Might be worth looking at this stunning Z gauge layout for inspiration if you haven't done so already.

https://www.gotthardmode...britton/bericht-im-loki/

csm_Rob_Allbritton_00003a_6e47f3e438.jpg

csm_Rob_Allbritton_00005a_4852acbed9.jpg

csm_Rob_Allbritton_00008a_01_dabefeb776.jpg

csm_Rob_Allbritton_02310e6bac.jpg

If you look at in google it will translate.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2023 14:52:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Ah yes, the Biaschina viaducts near the tunnels near Bodio.
Offline Toosmall  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2023 21:36:04(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Don't waste the scenery opportunities of a spiral.

37071.jpg

If it has to be a tight spiral & lowest gradient, bring it out into the scenery, say at 3 & 5 level for example, maybe in two different locations. It will also have the added benefit of reducing gradient.

(The lift out section for access now has my snow scene)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall