Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline alehrfeld  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2023 22:54:42(UTC)
alehrfeld

United States   
I am a novice Marklin collector so please excuse the question. I have a digital layout that uses two handheld controllers, one is assigned to the locos and the other handles turnouts and uncouplers. I have 4 trains. The layout is about 3 years old. Everything has been running fine, but suddenly the locos will only move less than an inch, then it appears that they lose electrical contact with the track, they stop moving and lights go off. If I move them a fraction of an inch, they will run again for less than an inch. All 4 locos are behaving this way. I have tried cleaning the rails with rubbing alcohol and a cloth and a lot of grease and dirt comes off and there is some small improvement but not much. I tried deleting then trains from the controller and then adding them back to the track one at a time. The problem remains the same. Does anybody know the problem, can someone please help me. Thank you.
Offline heinrichhess  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2023 00:11:02(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
look at the power connectors to track try cleaning the spades if on c track i'm presuming if you got 2 MS2 (controllers) the you have 2 power pack's try swapping for the spare one a trick i use for really old dirty track is pressing toytoise mode turn on full power and run but this will shorten the life of traction tires

hess
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2023 10:08:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: alehrfeld Go to Quoted Post
Does anybody know the problem, can someone please help me.
There may be several reasons.
Check there is no rust on the centre rail. Outer rails on C track and modern K track cannot rust, but centre rail still does.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2023 14:53:05(UTC)
rhfil

United States   

You have cleaned the rails but are you two rail? You also need to clean the middle contacts. And if you removed a lot of grease and grunge from the track the odds are that the same stuff is on the loco's wheels. Clean them also.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2023 19:49:50(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: alehrfeld Go to Quoted Post
I am a novice Marklin collector so please excuse the question. I have a digital layout that uses two handheld controllers, one is assigned to the locos and the other handles turnouts and uncouplers. I have 4 trains. The layout is about 3 years old. Everything has been running fine, but suddenly the locos will only move less than an inch, then it appears that they lose electrical contact with the track, they stop moving and lights go off. If I move them a fraction of an inch, they will run again for less than an inch. All 4 locos are behaving this way. I have tried cleaning the rails with rubbing alcohol and a cloth and a lot of grease and dirt comes off and there is some small improvement but not much. I tried deleting then trains from the controller and then adding them back to the track one at a time. The problem remains the same. Does anybody know the problem, can someone please help me. Thank you.

To clean the rail and stud contacts is a good advice.
But i wonder if you have suddenly power failure?
Did you tested if change turnouts or uncouples work?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2023 21:59:21(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Do you get a short circuit that causes the controller to cut out?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71