Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline analogmike  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2023 15:23:07(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello to all,
I have decided to have a go at doing some ball bearing conversions to my loks. I have seen on amazon 3mm bearings for sale by a manufacture named UXCELL. Does anyone know if these are any good or should I order directly from a bearing supply company. I would hate to install them just to find out they are junk.
Also; I need the link to the bearing conversion thread.
Thanks in advance,
Mikey

Edited by user 13 May 2023 15:13:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2023 16:22:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mickey
I was about to try those ball bearings (BB). I got myself a set of 10 for a few Euros (less than 5).
Then I checked more carefully. I have one unit from Märklin with factory-installed BBs. The 37605 released in 2002.
Wonderfull and heavy model but also very noisy. At the time it was a Rolls&Royce with 2 motors, two different sound channels and loads of other things.

Here is one motor fitted with BB during a perioding maintenance (cleaning was badly needed)
Sans titre.png (1,062kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

So my thinking is this:
1 Indeed the BB will make the rotor run in a much smoother way
2 It will not in any way reduce the noise of old gears (wear or old/unprecise manufacturing)
3 It will not reduce the rolling noise of metallic frames and cars
4 Installation means removing the first gear in contact with the rotor and then a very precise drilling using a precise drill bit.

So I must say in the end I left my oldies in their boxes and focused on new generation units which are perfectly silent (non-"coffee-grinder" ones).

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2023 17:07:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've converted all my Märklin locos with ball bearings, there are some benefits you will experience, I have found the locos do run quieter, secondly you will not have to oil the rear or front of the armature and this will save you a lot of maintenance in future, the other thing I've found the brush plate hasn't been modified for years although its a new type brush plate, the brush holder itself can create noise as it is most the time not 100% correctly aligned, I think its worth while adding BB to your locos so long you are aware of the pitfalls I've mentioned.

you have to be very careful with the rear of the motor, if you don't drill a whole 10% perfectly you will find the rotor will not turn., some of the old loco motor blocks can also be out of alignment (very rare) as the original motor had much more play., whereas the 5 pole motor needs more accuracy,
All in all, it doesn't depend only on your installation also of the bits I've mentioned above.,

there are ball bearings available: 1.5mm x 4mm x 2mm , 2mm x 5mm x 2.5mm (both respond to the armature) at the rear of the motor

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline analogmike  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2023 14:58:15(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Thanks guys,

My mission here is to do away with oiling/cleaning maintenance.

Noise is not a problem. Most of my collection is pre 1980 stuff.

I have been a machinist all of my life, and have my own machine shop.

I still need the link to the BB thread. Smile
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline Bill L  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2023 05:06:26(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
Jean:
In your Post #2 you mentioned that the Ball bearings- It will not in any way reduce the noise of old gears (wear or old/unprecise manufacturing).

I am wondering if anyone has taken the motor out of a locomotive, put in an abrasive on the teeth of the gears in the housing, and run it for 30 minutes- 1 hour and basically try to smooth the teeth (ie using toothpaste)??

I have the old red BR120 #3353, I just recently converted it to digital and it runs loud (expression I have seen used is "like a coffee grinder".) Oiling the motor bearings helps reduce the noise, but after running for about >30 minutes, it becomes very loud again.

Thanks,
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2023 07:52:09(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bill L Go to Quoted Post
Jean:
In your Post #2 you mentioned that the Ball bearings- It will not in any way reduce the noise of old gears (wear or old/unprecise manufacturing).

I am wondering if anyone has taken the motor out of a locomotive, put in an abrasive on the teeth of the gears in the housing, and run it for 30 minutes- 1 hour and basically try to smooth the teeth (ie using toothpaste)??

I have the old red BR120 #3353, I just recently converted it to digital and it runs loud (expression I have seen used is "like a coffee grinder".) Oiling the motor bearings helps reduce the noise, but after running for about >30 minutes, it becomes very loud again.

Thanks,

Running with an abrasive will only damage and make it worse. If you want to make it quiet you should have gone for an SB Modellbau motor kit. They make the locos super quiet.