Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Luna  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2023 17:26:40(UTC)
Luna

United States   
I am trying to run 2 loops of C track one R5 on outside and one R4 on the inside. I am having trouble figuring out how to connect the two loops with a turnout. If I connect one side it pulls the loop too close to one side and then I'm not able to get the turnout on the other side of the 2 loops to connect. Should I be using a croosover instead? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2023 18:54:39(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I am not sure what constitutes a loop for you and which turnouts you are referring to, but maybe these two track plans using curved 2477x turnouts are solving the issue?

https://abload.de/image....sr4-r5bogenweichokw3.jpg

https://abload.de/image....sr4-r5bogenweicyzjlv.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Luna  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2023 21:19:28(UTC)
Luna

United States   
Alsterstreek, thanks for the quick reply. I have seen that plan using the high speed curved turnouts. What I mean by loops is two full circles one inside the other. I there any way to allow a train to travel from one circle to the other by using a normal not curved turnouts?
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2023 01:16:42(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Like this (rather ovals than circles)?
R4-5.jpg
189x135 cm
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 03 May 2023 13:40:39(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Or, a little bit more challening, a version without S-curves for smoother train runs. Never mind the gaps, Märklin C track has enough slack to compensate slight mismatches.
R4aR5.jpg
175x136 cm
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2023 13:57:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Luna Go to Quoted Post
I there any way to allow a train to travel from one circle to the other by using a normal not curved turnouts?
R5 and R4 are made for a track spacing of 64 mm.
The regular turnouts 24611/2 give a track spacing of 77 mm.
Are those the turnouts you want to use?

It is possible to have the turnouts on one side (e.g. front) and live with a different spacing on the other side (e.g. rear).
I often use three curved tracks, then one or two "long" 24188 on the outer loop and one or two 24172 on the inner loop, then three more curved tracks. This will increase the track spacing.

UserPostedImage
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2023 02:45:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The sleek switches are designed for the track spacing of R4 and R5. With the sleek switches, it is difficult with limited space to have switches at the entrance and exit of a station area. What you can do is to have sleek switches allowing for movement from the outer to inner at one spot and from the inner to the outer at another. For a station area, you can add an external or internal track to have a passing option

You can then have a separate switch to allow movement from R4 to R3 at another spot.

What I was planning to do was to have a parade line using R4 and R5 to show off my longer express trains and unit freights and then R3 and maybe R2 for local, regional and freight traffic. There would be limited interchange between the inner and outer tracks.

Seeing that my focus is Swiss, the trains would be running on the left in most circumstances. For German prototype, it would be right running.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Luna  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2023 05:37:27(UTC)
Luna

United States   
I have a 12ftx5ft space to work with. I don't like the way passenger cars look on R2 or R1 curves. I would like to have raised track in some places on the layout but I find it too difficult to install raised sections. There isn't enough room to make a gradual climb to the top of the incline. I do like the way the high speed turnouts look as opposed to the normal turnouts.
Thanks,
Mark
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2023 12:49:12(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I don't like the way passenger cars look on R2 or R1 curves.

In that context I would like to raise your attention to this 2008 post on "transition curves" or "easements" (click on link):

https://www.marklin-user...9-on-75-cm.aspx#post9281

Easements result in a nicer appearance of long cars entering a tight curve by reducing the lurch:

“Appearance-wise, trains don’t look too good just standing on sharply curved track. It’s that lurch as the cars enter into a curve, though, that changes what should be the smooth gliding of a serpent-like train into something more like the amusement park Whip.”

Source: Armstrong, John H. (2001). The classic layout designs of John Armstrong, pg. 14 ff.

And the lurch reduction effect of an easement is greater for a tight curve than for a broad curve.

I would like to have raised track in some places on the layout but I find it too difficult to install raised sections. There isn't enough room to make a gradual climb to the top of the incline.

If you cannot elevate the track, you can depress the landscape - example of an approach selected by another German model railroader (click on link):

https://abload.de/img/img_20160527_2042274ssxt.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek