Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2023 21:21:09(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Good day. On this forum I read about Marklin number systems back as far as 2016. They are a good starting point.

Recently I acquired some Marklin HO SOMO (Werbe Wagon, Box, Beer Wagons) with no "Typical Marklin" numbers on the boxes.
Unfortunately the ends of some of the boxes are defaced by someone writing numbers on using a ball pen.Angry
Now there may be some method in those numbers and they may originate somewhere.??
The number used are for instance: 92735, 957??, or 95CH1 or 96506. Or ---- K 98-4735.02 ----This one nearly make some sense, but was only traceable searching for photos..Crying
In most cases and others, 4415.XXX would be a good start, but no help.
I am old school so only have Koll's 1997. Koll's don't have a section for Marklin models with no numbers. ( I don't have the Special Marklin Catalog. )
I realize special and SOMO wagons and similar products sometimes were treated differently.
I also realize some models are from years ago, eg my BMEC wagon where I could trace that Train enthusiast group ( I forgot the real detail ) and I think they are still oprerational but they do not even answer my e-Mails.Cursing
So where do I search for these informations and databases.
Sometimes I track more detail or history of the wagons elsewhere like internet, but generally no Marklin data or numbers.
Thanks,

HANNES VAN ZYL.
South Africa.
BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hannes Porsche
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2023 22:50:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Hannes Porsche Go to Quoted Post
Good day. On this forum I read about Marklin number systems back as far as 2016. They are a good starting point.

Recently I acquired some Marklin HO SOMO (Werbe Wagon, Box, Beer Wagons) with no "Typical Marklin" numbers on the boxes.
Unfortunately the ends of some of the boxes are defaced by someone writing numbers on using a ball pen.Angry
Now there may be some method in those numbers and they may originate somewhere.??
The number used are for instance: 92735, 957??, or 95CH1 or 96506. Or ---- K 98-4735.02 ----This one nearly make some sense, but was only traceable searching for photos..Crying

Marklin have certainly produced (and still occaisionally do) produced five digit numbers of the form 9xxxx. These are used for very limited production runs and these days 94xxx will be an H0 and 98xxx will be Z gauge. you will need the Special Catalogue to find listings of them.

Originally Posted by: Hannes Porsche Go to Quoted Post

In most cases and others, 4415.XXX would be a good start, but no help.
I am old school so only have Koll's 1997. Koll's don't have a section for Marklin models with no numbers. ( I don't have the Special Marklin Catalog. )
I realize special and SOMO wagons and similar products sometimes were treated differently.
I also realize some models are from years ago, eg my BMEC wagon where I could trace that Train enthusiast group ( I forgot the real detail ) and I think they are still oprerational but they do not even answer my e-Mails.Cursing
So where do I search for these informations and databases.

You will need the Special catalogue to find information on any that are not in the standard Kolls catalogue.

I would also recommend you get the last Full catalogue, which was 2018 IIRC, and that is also the last year that the Special catalogue was produced. Kolls now only produce the compact catalogue, which is the full Catalogue, but without the pictures, and a more compact (A6 instead of A5?) book.

[edit]
Also there is a fair chance that if any of these items are specially produced items under Marklins promotional items programme then they may well be produced without a catalogue number and are definitely not listed in any Kolls catalogue. Also be aware that there are many items with catalogue numbers that do not appear in Kolls, it is not a complete list by any means.
[/edit]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2023 23:41:27(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
https://www.modelrailroa...us/Model-Train-Directory has a good search engine which can often be used with the running number.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2023 21:35:02(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi "rhfil" thanKs for the info. Marklin does not feature in those lists.??

Do I see it wrongly.??

HANNES
Offline HO Collector  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2023 22:33:58(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Hannes

I would like to add to your confusion.
I have number of tank cars, all are different but all are packed in the same boxes with the same model number. Bought them new from the dealer and they are still in mint condition.
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2023 23:20:44(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
He did not restrict the site to any particular brand or size just to model railroading and the database is beginning to get too large as it also has pictures. Do you know how to find the running number of your cars? If you don't photograph one to show the block of numbers and i will see if I can guide you. There are plenty of Marklin cars in the database.
Offline rhfil  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2023 23:39:50(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I did a search for "Werbe' and it returned a Marklin 34973 which you can see here: https://www.ebay.com.sg/...8a0e8:g:69sAAOSwaFNgeD9p The running number is 513 718 but when I search on that number I get 10 cars none of which is that one. So the information is dependent on the person who entered it. And obviously Marklin assigned the same running number to more than one car.
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 12 February 2023 23:48:55(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Marklin-34973-thumb.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#9 Posted : 16 February 2023 22:57:54(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Thanks for the information to date.

MODEL RAILROAD COLLECTOR is very informative ANd include Maerklin.
I need to read more and then work through the various sections.

By the way other than paging through Koll"s this "Wiki-like" site also show the VAST range of products Maerklin had produced through the years.
I dont want to expand on the "Numbers" issue I have, but can Mearklin beat any of these.??

In any case I will try posting a photo or so and keep posting as I progress.

THANKS

Offline rhfil  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2023 15:04:32(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
There are YouTube videos on using the MRC database and the creator will pretty much walk you through any problems you have accessing the information. Could not be friendlier. I looked through the data with the Marklin 34973 and whoever added it did not include the running number which is why it is not returned when you search for it that way. The site is dependent on the input and accuracy of the users.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil