Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dwptravel  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2023 20:52:28(UTC)
dwptravel

United States   
I have a 36711 Ice 2. I have a CS3, and entered it in from the database, and it initially ran fine. But then it started running only very slowly, and both sound functions (horn and announcement) only make a short noise, then cut off. I have tried resetting using the CS3, running only from the address, and deleting and adding the loco again. But nothing changes that.

Any idea what could be wrong? Decoder gone defective?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2023 21:01:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David
My cheap cristal ball is out of commission now but I would try this:
- try to unplung and plug again the decoder (PWR OFF of course) and check
- reduce the ICE to only the front and rear unit and put it on the program track
- disable the MFX on your CS3
- try to connect to the ICE using DCC address 3 and see if it works. If it does, try to reset the decoder (CV8=8)
- try to connect your ICE to AC (8 to 10 VAC) and check.

If any of the 2 last points are failing, then the decoder may be the culprit NOT 100% sure until you check if the digital power arrives to the decoder.

Cheers
Jean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2023 22:18:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi David
My cheap cristal ball is out of commission now but I would try this:
- try to unplung and plug again the decoder (PWR OFF of course) and check

This set is before the days of plug in Marklin decoders, so that won't work.

- reduce the ICE to only the front and rear unit and put it on the program track
- disable the MFX on your CS3
- try to connect to the ICE using DCC address 3 and see if it works. If it does, try to reset the decoder (CV8=8)

Attempting to reset address 3 in DCC mode doesn't work on fx decoders that came out well before Marklin produced a DCC capable control station.

- try to connect your ICE to AC (8 to 10 VAC) and check.

If any of the 2 last points are failing, then the decoder may be the culprit NOT 100% sure until you check if the digital power arrives to the decoder.

Cheers
Jean

Attempting to run it on an ordinary transformer would be worth trying, but before blaming the decoder try oiling the mechanics of the drive system that is more likely to be a source of the problem.

Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2023 22:30:52(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
First thing I would do is check the loco info to make sure it has the proper decoder selected - DCC or MM. Then I would run a search by decoder address to see if you have a conflict. If not I would then delete the loco from the CS3 and reinstall it on a programming track. Oh, if there is an address conflict I would change it on a programming track.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2023 22:34:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
First thing I would do is check the loco info to make sure it has the proper decoder selected - DCC or MM. Then I would run a search by decoder address to see if you have a conflict. If not I would then delete the loco from the CS3 and reinstall it on a programming track. Oh, if there is an address conflict I would change it on a programming track.

Well, I don't see how doing again what he says he has already done is going to change things.
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2023 22:58:06(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Yes, your advice was much more helpful.
Offline rhfil  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2023 17:11:16(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
To check for an address conflict on your CS3 pull up the loco menu from the bottom and select "Edit" and "Edit Locos" and then find and select your 36711. The screen should show it and details including the decoder address. If it is in red you have a conflict and it needs to be changed. Also check to see what decoder type is selected - my fx loco seems to operate with "MM".
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline dwptravel  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2023 17:51:16(UTC)
dwptravel

United States   
Okay, so the plot thickens. I deleted the loco on the menu, then added it again from the database for the 36711. It shows as MM, and did not have a red conflict on the address, which is factory set as 2 (I think that means I cannot change it, but let me know if that is wrong). But I did that on the programming track. And it worked as it is supposed to. And it would read the address.

But I put it back on the running track, and it goes to half-speed and partial blurts of sound as before. I checked and no other loco or article (I have a number of signals and some M83s and M84s) has the address of 2. But the 36711 works only on the programming track.

Any idea why it is doing this?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dwptravel
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2023 17:57:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dwptravel Go to Quoted Post
Any idea why it is doing this?
Did you swap the red and brown wires in the feeder track? Old decoders don't like that.
B is red and goes to centre rail, 0 is brown and goes to outer rail.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 28 February 2023 19:57:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
What Tom says pus; if bothe the train decoder(s) and any M83/M84's address is both or all2, this can possibly cause it. i had to change my br 101 address to MM 03 because a signal's addres was also 01, auto selected by the CS3 mfx. It was changing aspects when the F4 Loco function key was toggled.
Offline dwptravel  
#11 Posted : 02 March 2023 23:30:08(UTC)
dwptravel

United States   
Thanks,Tom. Looks like I must have switched the red and brown wires on the green plug at some point, and didn’t notice since the 36711 is the only loco or digital item that seems to be affected. So it is working fine now.