Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2023 04:47:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Swiss Models 2023

So far, we have seen the Piko, Roco, Hornby, and Maerklin New Item flyers.
From a Swiss standpoint, there are some interesting models, including the following:

Roco
Ae 3/6I Historic
Re 4/4II Swiss Express livery - No longer used for the Swiss Express, this locomotive is used to pull passenger trains based in Zurich.
193 701 Ruhrpiercer - Special livery for the RT&S Subsidiary of SBB Cargo.
Akiem BLS 186 906 RAlpiercer - This is the third of the ex Crossrail 186 now leased to the SBB from BLS for the RAlpin shuttles
Re 484 011 in the Cargo livery with a special Climate motive
Re 460 071 Locarno Film Festival
BLS Re 475 425 Finally a Vectron with the second (most recent) side panel design. My hope is that this model will have the same function assignments and characteristics as the older model.
BLS Re 465 009 This will be another locomotive in the new green livery.
MRCE 189 983 This rent locomotive is one of the last in the original Dispolok livery, but with added MRCE labels. I don’t know how long this model has/will be used by SBB Cargo
Roco has also announced plans to release models of the 4 and 8 coach Twindexx RABe 502 trainsets

Maerklin
Eb 3/5
Re 4/4I. This model in green represents the model as it appeared in the mid to late 1950s. I am not sure about the shade of the buffers and undercarriage at that time. I think it would have been a lighter gray than what is pictured.
Am840 SBB Cargo uses these locomotives south of Chiasso and Domodossola for it’s SBB Cargo Italia subsidiary
Re 460. I was trying to figure out the difference between this new model and the 39461 from a few years ago. Both have the new paint color, the raised SBB logo on the front and Faiveley pantographs.
I am pleased to see that Maerklin did not sleep on the new SBB livery, as no other company has yet announced models of the EWIV in the new livery. Roco and LSM announced EC coaches

Piko
Re 484. Piko has also announced a model of a Re 484 in the Climate livery. It is the second of the two locomotives. The first Piko Re 484 was just a Re 482 labelled as a Re 484 and it remains to be seen if this will be the case again this year. The price suggests that it may be a proper model with 4 pantographs this time.
MRCE 193 Piko is releasing a model of the “Shadowpiercer” Vectron leased by SBB Cargo with the name “Thunersee”

I am not going to mention the items described as Switzerland only (Arwico) models as I do not yet know if those will be available worldwide.

My observations:

The most interesting item this year seems to be the RABe 502 Twindexx, but little is known about the models yet. I am surprised that Roco did not just reissue the ICN with the new livery as that would have been cheaper than developing the Twindexx. The RABe 502 comes in three versions, the 4 and 8 coach Regional version and the 8 coach Intercity version. Roco has initially announced the 4 and 8 coach regional version (IR Interregio). Investing in the RABe 502 project is curious, as this design has not found any customers outside Switzerland. Bombardier (Alstom) markets a variety of Doubledeck solutions as Twindexx, but they are not identical to the SBB design.

For those who are looking forward to the EWIII coaches from LS Models, the Roco Re 4/4II in the Swiss Express livery is interesting, but sadly, the model will represent the current state of the model (markings, halogen headlights and airconditioning) and not as it was when it pulled the original Swiss Express consist. Once the coaches were converted for push-pull operation, it was only occasionally that the train was pulled by a locomotive in the same livery.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 18 January 2023 17:03:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2023 12:06:13(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Mike, I think the twindex Dostro? Has a different lower wider rake to the front cab than the older one.
Offline Timnomads  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2023 14:09:20(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   

Hi mike

I take the bombadier Twindex daily and talk with the drivers, The units have not delivered to spec on performance and are a pain to maintain.

The biggest laugh is the toilets, they have an onboard processing system which can't cope when there is high demand, the smell is horrible !! Crying

Tim

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Swiss Models 2023

So far, we have seen the Piko, Roco, Hornby, and Maerklin New Item flyers.
From a Swiss standpoint, there are some interesting models, including the following:

Roco
Ae 3/6I Historic
Re 4/4II Swiss Express livery - No longer used for the Swiss Express, this locomotive is used to pull passenger trains based in Zurich.
193 701 Ruhrpiercer - Special livery for the RT&S Subsidiary of SBB Cargo.
Akiem BLS 186 906 RAlpiercer - This is the third of the ex Crossrail 186 now leased to the SBB from BLS for the RAlpin shuttles
Re 484 011 in the Cargo livery with a special Climate motive
Re 460 071 Locarno Film Festival
BLS Re 475 425 Finally a Vectron with the second (most recent) side panel design. My hope is that this model will have the same function assignments and characteristics as the older model.
BLS Re 465 009 This will be another locomotive in the new green livery.
MRCE 189 983 This rent locomotive is one of the last in the original Dispolok livery, but with added MRCE labels. I don’t know how long this model has/will be used by SBB Cargo
Roco has also announced plans to release models of the 4 and 8 coach Twindexx RABe 502 trainsets

Maerklin
Eb 3/5
Re 4/4I. This model in green represents the model as it appeared in the mid to late 1950s. I am not sure about the shade of the buffers and undercarriage at that time. I think it would have been a lighter gray than what is pictured.
Am840 SBB Cargo uses these locomotives south of Chiasso and Domodossola for it’s SBB Cargo Italia subsidiary
Re 460. I was trying to figure out the difference between this new model and the 39461 from a few years ago. Both have the new paint color, the raised SBB logo on the front and Faiveley pantographs.
I am pleased to see that Maerklin did not sleep on the new SBB livery, as no other company has yet announced models of the EWIV in the new livery. Roco and LSM announced EC coaches

Piko
Re 484. Piko has also announced a model of a Re 484 in the Climate livery. It is the second of the two locomotives. The first Piko Re 484 was just a Re 482 labelled as a Re 484 and it remains to be seen if this will be the case again this year. The price suggests that it may be a proper model with 4 pantographs this time.
MRCE 193 Piko is releasing a model of the “Shadowpiercer” Vectron leased by SBB Cargo with the name “Thunersee”

I am not going to mention the items described as Switzerland only (Arwico) models as I do not yet know if those will be available worldwide.

My observations:

The most interesting item this year seems to be the RABe 502 Twindexx, but little is known about the models yet. I am surprised that Roco did not just reissue the ICN with the new livery as that would have been cheaper than developing the Twindexx. The RABe 502 comes in three versions, the 4 and 8 coach Regional version and the 8 coach Intercity version. Roco has initially announced the 4 and 8 coach regional version (IR Interregio). Investing in the RABe 502 project is curious, as this design has not found any customers outside Switzerland. Siemens markets a variety of Doubledeck solutions as Twindexx, but they are not identical to the SBB design.

For those who are looking forward to the EWIII coaches from LS Models, the Roco Re 4/4II in the Swiss Express livery is interesting, but sadly, the model will represent the current state of the model (markings, halogen headlights and airconditioning) and not as it was when it pulled the original Swiss Express consist. Once the coaches were converted for push-pull operation, it was only occasionally that the train was pulled by a locomotive in the same livery.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2023 14:15:09(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Tim, that's pretty sad about the toilets. Are the interior fittings new, better, or nicer? Maybe why Roco din't use the exhisting cars?
Offline Timnomads  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2023 15:25:11(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Tim, that's pretty sad about the toilets. Are the interior fittings new, better, or nicer? Maybe why Roco din't use the exhisting cars?

I find the seats not as comfortable as some of the other trains, especially when I travel long distances. I suppose its about weight, as they are much lighter now. The main difference between first class and second is colour and space.

The units also had a vibration at low speeds which delayed there introduction for years, Bombadier had to pay a penalty for late delivery of two units per year. (They were late by 4 years!). They still vibrate but its not so bad now.

Tim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads