Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline swedishmike  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2023 17:56:49(UTC)
swedishmike

United Kingdom   
Hi there,

My first post here and being new to the hobby I got _lots_ of questions... BigGrin However, since I'm in the planning stage (have already got myself a starter kit and the extension kits of course BigGrin ) and haven't put any tracks out I thought I'd start at the bottom so to speak.

I've tried to find out what trackbed/roadbed to use for my coming layout and the options for Z scale seems quite limited? I've seen references to a manufacturer called Itty-Bitty Lines (spelling/punctuation?) but they don't seem to be around any longer.

There seems to be several options for N scale, but I'm not sure if that'll look 'right' as it is if you'd recommend it to be cut down to scale?

Any recommendations for products that are available here in the UK are appreciated.

Thanks in advance - as well as apologies in advance for what most likely will be a barrage of questions as I get going with this. Blushing
Offline Chas  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2023 19:53:18(UTC)
Chas

United Kingdom   
Hi,
#I am new today, been experimenting for 2 years with track and the way things work, very complicated systems 3d systems, 5 trains now on one line, JUST learning, no scenery. Analog only. When I have learnt what can be done, then I will build. NO ROAD BED YET, just learn how every thing works, no nails, megga small screws pan head in to the base board, between the tyes not the nail hole.( or UV glue in the middle or outside of the rail, comes off easily but sticks enough)

Enjoy

(PS. Keeps me awake at night thinking of solutions to wiring problems)

Chas
Offline Chas  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2023 20:09:51(UTC)
Chas

United Kingdom   
5 trains at the same time, on the same track
Chas
Offline Chas  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2023 20:45:57(UTC)
Chas

United Kingdom   
3d rises are easy now, m4 threaded stud plus chimney nuts with short lengths of stud at 90 degs. (Buy 1 mtr lengths and cut them down), furniture fixings M4 in to the base board, to support.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chas
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2023 22:57:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: swedishmike Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,

My first post here and being new to the hobby I got _lots_ of questions... BigGrin However, since I'm in the planning stage (have already got myself a starter kit and the extension kits of course BigGrin ) and haven't put any tracks out I thought I'd start at the bottom so to speak.

I've tried to find out what trackbed/roadbed to use for my coming layout and the options for Z scale seems quite limited? I've seen references to a manufacturer called Itty-Bitty Lines (spelling/punctuation?) but they don't seem to be around any longer.

There seems to be several options for N scale, but I'm not sure if that'll look 'right' as it is if you'd recommend it to be cut down to scale?

Any recommendations for products that are available here in the UK are appreciated.

Thanks in advance - as well as apologies in advance for what most likely will be a barrage of questions as I get going with this. Blushing

Oh, hello, someone else in Didcot. I'm on the south side.
Offline Toosmall  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2023 01:33:01(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
First layout I tapped spacing tubes top and bottom for RLs (relative level) between plywood base and track base. It worked very well.

Second layout I built RLs from PVC Forex and welded with Tetrahydrofuran, also worked well. Track was welded to PVC track bed.

Both bases filled with polyurethane foam which worked well.

Some information on my layout here:
https://www.marklin-user...rack-folded-dogbone-loop

Draw up you layout 1:1 (Z scale) on paper to create a master plan, with all your RLs. If you do a set of proper plans you will not have to waste time rebuilding the layout due to unforeseen stuff-ups.

Every minute spent on a set of plans will save 10 minutes in construction.
Offline swedishmike  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2023 09:28:37(UTC)
swedishmike

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,
javascript:__doPostBack('forum$ctl03$PostReply','')

Oh, hello, someone else in Didcot. I'm on the south side.

Hi back!

I didn't think about it at all - but I guess with the railway centre and all it was bound to be one or more from Didcot here. BigGrin

Not sure what I count as, but am up on GWP.

Offline swedishmike  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2023 09:31:47(UTC)
swedishmike

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
First layout I tapped spacing tubes top and bottom for RLs (relative level) between plywood base and track base. It worked very well.

Second layout I built RLs from PVC Forex and welded with Tetrahydrofuran, also worked well. Track was welded to PVC track bed.

Both bases filled with polyurethane foam which worked well.

Some information on my layout here:
https://www.marklin-user...rack-folded-dogbone-loop

Draw up you layout 1:1 (Z scale) on paper to create a master plan, with all your RLs. If you do a set of proper plans you will not have to waste time rebuilding the layout due to unforeseen stuff-ups.

Every minute spent on a set of plans will save 10 minutes in construction.

Thanks for the reply - that layout looks ace, will definitely try and take in (withou too much drooling Drool) knowledge from that one.

Yeah - planning will definitely be done prior to any major efforts. Get a plan together, put out the track to see how/if it works and then build from there seems to be a sensible approach.

Offline PeFu  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2023 12:21:48(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
How about the Z scale trackbeds from Merkur?

https://www.merkur-styro...6c3fc1a17c1daa06cf01d572

There are several members here using and happy with their H0 K track trackbeds, including myself. However, I have no experience of their Z scale products.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline swedishmike  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2023 12:25:23(UTC)
swedishmike

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

There are several members here using and happy with their H0 K track trackbeds, including myself. However, I have no experience of their Z scale products.

They look quite good - I wonder if there's a UK reseller or if they only sell directly? Brexit has caused all kinds of fun and games with buying from mainland Europe. Anything from vendors not shipping here to extortionate customs bills...

Offline PeFu  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2023 12:43:04(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   

They look quite good - I wonder if there's a UK reseller or if they only sell directly? Brexit has caused all kinds of fun and games with buying from mainland Europe. Anything from vendors not shipping here to extortionate customs bills...

I have always purchased directly from Merkur, you will benefit from excluded V.A.T. It’s a smaller but reliable supplier, and sometimes they manufacture on order. Have a look on their tunnel portals, walls and arches as well, and separate matching paint and ballast you also may order.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline georgi UK  
#12 Posted : 09 January 2023 14:47:53(UTC)
georgi UK

United Kingdom   

Hi, I have a Merkur Z track-bed order in transit for my Noch preformed layout, and this stuff is fantastic! The tracks fit snugly into the fully moulded ballast,,,,, I purchased a bulk pack which was from the discontinued rebranded Noch range on EBay and needed some additional sections, which Merkur sell directly.

There is an issue on their site where it doesn’t show shipping options, but if you mail support directly they will sort you out! Shipping & Brexit fees 19 Euros.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by georgi UK
Offline swedishmike  
#13 Posted : 09 January 2023 14:59:54(UTC)
swedishmike

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: georgi UK Go to Quoted Post

Hi, I have a Merkur Z track-bed order in transit for my Noch preformed layout, and this stuff is fantastic! The tracks fit snugly into the fully moulded ballast,,,,, I purchased a bulk pack which was from the discontinued rebranded Noch range on EBay and needed some additional sections, which Merkur sell directly.

There is an issue on their site where it doesn’t show shipping options, but if you mail support directly they will sort you out! Shipping & Brexit fees 19 Euros.

I'm heading to Vienna for the weekend in a couple of weeks time, I wonder if any of the local shops might have some stock. Another reason to drag her around town for some hours to visit random model shops I guess. BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by swedishmike
Offline Toosmall  
#14 Posted : 09 January 2023 20:38:46(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Lucky bastard, that's the problem with Australia, it takes a weekend or longer just to get somewhere. A few years ago other half few into Perth from Germany, I picked her up from the airport drove 400km each day, but from Sydney it's 4,000km. Then drove back via 'Australia's Longest Shortcut' and Oodnadatta Track. Actually a longer drive which took 3 months to get home.

A small bit of advice, every minute you torture her with your shopping, she will multiply that 100 fold with her shopping. Do your shopping separately or it will be a dirty weekend for all the wrong reasons!

normal_ATT00242.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline swedishmike  
#15 Posted : 10 January 2023 04:14:05(UTC)
swedishmike

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post

A small bit of advice, every minute you torture her with your shopping, she will multiply that 100 fold with her shopping. Do your shopping separately or it will be a dirty weekend for all the wrong reasons!

I think I got enough in the bank for a couple of model shops - there's a long and not very proud history of me being dragged around anything from shoe shops to 'Christmas Barns'. BigGrin

Offline hennabm  
#16 Posted : 11 January 2023 20:29:09(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
I’ve just bought an amount direct from Merkur.
As mentioned above the website does not work for ordering. It jammed up on shipping method.
However email your requirements to the address at the top of their website and they will sort it

I ordered it, it was made, I then paid and it was delivered very promptly to the UK.

I am still laying it but first impressions are excellent and it is easy to use.

E9F6A960-46E0-41A9-86E8-D95882BE0DEE.jpeg

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Toosmall  
#17 Posted : 11 January 2023 20:45:22(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Doing ballast is a bit tedious. So if there are alternatives for people without the patience, it would be worthwhile.

Can you at least in 1 or 2 places create some lower RLs (relative level) to create a bit more vertical topography in a high impact visual area. Even a culvert but cutting away a small section of the base RL layout can create quite a bit of vertical topography.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 12 January 2023 10:27:45(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
I’ve just bought an amount direct from Merkur ...I am still laying it but first impressions are excellent and it is easy to use.Mike

Hello Mike,

Well done, you will not regret your step into Merkur.

As you may have seen from my past posts, I am an immense fan of Merkur :

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/m629213-

Have fun,

PJBigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Manga  
#19 Posted : 17 January 2023 20:59:03(UTC)
Manga

Australia   
Hi swedishmike,

I'm a beginner also.
I am trying 3 layers of 0.8mm cork.

003 Mast supports glued in.jpg

This will raise the track (~50cm in real life) and give contour for the ballast the fall off, hopefully giving a realistic look.

Relatively inexpensive but tedious work, you might not opt for this if your layout will be large.

Whatever approach you take, make a small diorama to see how it looks before you commit to the entire layout.

006 With niederbordwagen.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Manga
Offline Zme  
#20 Posted : 18 January 2023 01:37:09(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

It is to bad the normal makers of this type of product are out of business or not selling this roadbed anymore.

I did notice someone selling N.O.S. z scale roadbed on eBay during the holidays. Everyone seems to sell their rare and unusual during the holidays because a premium profit may be possible. When I saw it I didn’t think to much of it because I didn’t realize how hard to find it might be.

What I have discovered is that sooner or later, whatever you need will eventually show up, perhaps on eBay again or somewhere different. With everything
“Z” at a high price right now, I don’t know what it might cost. I covered all of my yard area with the sheet cork material described above, but just laid it flat and did not make a stack as shown. It worked in the yard flat, but it might not work for the rest of your layout.

Just have patience you will find something sooner or later.

Best wishes, take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme