Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2022 15:54:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Anybody know of a UK supplier of a decent soldering station. I have a cheap Antex iron but I am rubbish at soldering and maybe something better would help. Bought some flux paste which does not appear to help although not sure what I am supposed to do with it anyway. Lost a couple of Viessmann light bars due to poor effort at connecting wires to the pads on the light bar.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2022 16:13:18(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Does Amazon sell there? I think so, and they have several. Hot air, regular, and combination types.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2022 17:00:44(UTC)
Copenhagen

I'd recommend finding some youtube videos about how to solder electronics and wires and stuff. I've learned a lot from them.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2022 17:20:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Anybody know of a UK supplier of a decent soldering station. I have a cheap Antex iron but I am rubbish at soldering and maybe something better would help. Bought some flux paste which does not appear to help although not sure what I am supposed to do with it anyway. Lost a couple of Viessmann light bars due to poor effort at connecting wires to the pads on the light bar.

Dave

Hi Dave
Better select a soldering station:
- with regulated temperature
- with protected soldering tips (avoid bare copper tips)
- with standard soldering tips that can be exchanged (replacement or different types).

30 years ago I purchased a Weller soldering iron and still have it, replaced bits (you have to, once in a while). You may find replacement bits even in China
Here is an example on ebay UK https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27550...z%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6ie0paiYQ

Soldering paste: it is used for SMC (Surface Mounted Components) soldering. This is for tiny, very dense components
Flux also called soldering water (Lötwasser): This is a transparent liquid with a brush to ease the soldering on special supports (e.g.: stainless steel rails

Avoid absolutely old soldering aids such as alcali stones, etc.
Cheers
Jean

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 14 December 2022 18:07:55(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Dave

try rs online: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/power-tools-soldering-welding/soldering/soldering-stations/

I replaced my (very) cheap china soldering station with this https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/soldering-stations/1227916 (and some extra various small soldering tips)
I must admit that I was under serious doubt to use that kind of money on a soldering station, but it was night and day. So I'm very pleased that made that decision and I bought it.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 14 December 2022 21:18:09(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
A good soldering station is always worthwhile, and the Weller units have traditionally been good quality. But a lack of knowledge/skills will not be compensated for by an expensive tool.

As suggested watch some online tutorial videos and practice. If you have some old wires of different sizes, try soldering them together for practice. And if you have any faulty decoders etc.. use them for practise too. Soldering is a skill that takes practise to become competent, and I’m sure with a little bit of time spent you will get it!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2022 23:30:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks for above. I have been soldering light bars etc for years but never get any better. Watched the videos etc. Looked at DCC Concepts here in the UK and they appear to have several units along with videos etc. My current Antex 25 XS is cheap but perhaps something better would be useful.
I think Santa is bringing some new coaches so I have Viessmann lights ready for them but will try for a better iron as I always light all my coaches.
Again thanks to all for the above comments.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2022 01:17:22(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Good luck David.

I blamed my poor technique for my equally poor soldering for years.

Eventually I bought a good quality soldering station and my results improved dramatically. Now I can solder to decoder boards with smooth, shiny solder joints that never fail. Soldering went from being stressful to a point of pride in my repairs and upgrades.

It sounds like you are on the right track with lighting all of your coaches. That is my goal as well although other matters have caused me to fall a little behind. I like that work however and I will catch up quickly next year.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Mr. Ron  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2022 10:06:37(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Age, poor eyesight and shaky hands are the enemy of good soldering skills. I bought a resistance soldering unit hoping to be able to solder things like hand rails and ladders, but unable to do so successfully. I had no problem in my early days. I rely more now on epoxys and instant glues (crazy glue). Holding 2 parts while an adhesive sets is almost impossible, like 2 walls of a building. I am trying to design some aids to help in building model structures.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Toosmall  
#10 Posted : 15 December 2022 10:11:20(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I have two Goot PX-335 85 - 120 watt fixed temperature soldering irons https://en.goot.jp/products/detail/px_335 very happy with them. So much better than the $20 20 watt soldering irons.

For soldering wire a touch heavier like 53mm² for 175 amp Anderson plugs I use a Bosch GHB 20-63 2000 watt heat gun.

IMG_20200817_155859116.jpg

Soldering with lead/tin solder is easier than tin only, I never have to use additional flux.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2022 12:12:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Age, poor eyesight and shaky hands are the enemy of good soldering skills. I bought a resistance soldering unit hoping to be able to solder things like hand rails and ladders, but unable to do so successfully. I had no problem in my early days. I rely more now on epoxys and instant glues (crazy glue). Holding 2 parts while an adhesive sets is almost impossible, like 2 walls of a building. I am trying to design some aids to help in building model structures.

Hi Ron AT age 81 now everything shakes not just hands lol. I have clips to hold wires and a good magnifier but it is the small solder pads on the Viessmann light bars that can be difficult as they are close to other small pads which if both touch cause the light bar to blow with a flame and a puff of smoke. Reckon I have fitted about thirty of these and lost three or four but it would be nice to do it easily so will go for a better iron.
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 15 December 2022 12:14:46(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

A good quality of the solder also helps a lot Blink

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Ranjit  
#13 Posted : 15 December 2022 16:06:29(UTC)
Ranjit

Hey David... Go with either the Weller or the Hakko temperature controlled soldering stations. Don't bother with the rest !

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 15 December 2022 17:06:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I agree with Ranjit. ThumpUp

I have a Hakko temperature controlled soldering station and it works very well!

If one of those can turn me into a soldering pro, it is well worth the cost. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Toosmall  
#15 Posted : 15 December 2022 23:44:04(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I am not sure what this is called. Maybe someone else has an idea.

DSC_1682~2.JPG

One could knock up a multi swivel clamping device with a few blocks and bolts.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline applor  
#16 Posted : 16 December 2022 04:54:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Maybe you're not doing it right? When soldering always add a touch of solder to the tip, then with the tip heat what you want to solder and then apply solder to the wire/object, not the tip. That way the solder melts onto the wire/object and flows into it.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Toosmall  
#17 Posted : 16 December 2022 12:06:57(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
This Z gauge track was soldered with cheap soldering iron. It would be easier with a good iron. But regardless I pre-tin the wire and surface, so to keep heat to a minimum.

IMG_65384.jpg

Also handy to have at the ready to quickly cool components down if you put too much heat into the job is some freeze spray.

https://www.jaycar.com.a...ezing-spray-can/p/NA1000

Additionally, handy to freeze ticks in Australia, never pull them out alive. The tiny little ticks are more difficult to find than the kangaroo ticks which are the size of a finger nail.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline BenP  
#18 Posted : 16 December 2022 20:59:18(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Maybe you're not doing it right? When soldering always add a touch of solder to the tip, then with the tip heat what you want to solder and then apply solder to the wire/object, not the tip. That way the solder melts onto the wire/object and flows into it.

I have a done a lot (many 100s) of soldering connections with a garden variety iron and found that adding solder (and flux) to wire(s) before attaching (allowing it to 'melt' into a stranded wire or coat a solid wire) and sometimes add a solder dot to destination metal works great. Only requires a brief heating time to connect, so less need for temp-controlled tool and heat damage. (i've found other ways to destroy train electronics, however)
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 16 December 2022 23:14:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post

This is what I do but the problem is the pad on the light bar where it does not take well to heat. I try to add a little solder to the pad and tin the wire. This works most of the time but I have damaged some bars and lost two recently. Have ordered a new iron which may help. Just joining wires is easy enough but attaching to other items not so easy but with a new iron and different solder should help.
Thanks for all comments.