Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fbaube  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2022 13:45:37(UTC)
fbaube

Finland   
Some German-language websites (& google translate) are giving me a fuzzy idea that it is possible to control Märklin digital locomotives directly from a computer. Perhaps someone could clarify (in English) what the possibilities are ?

If I understand it correctly, the CAN-bus protocol operates between (for example) the Mobile Station 2 and a "track box" (Märklin 60113 ?), and it is possible to use the CAN protocol from a computer that connects directly to the "track box" via a USB/CAN cable.
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2022 20:27:06(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
CAN Digital Bahn offers a solution that pretty much matches your idea. I use their stuff myself with Rocrail, and I have been quite satisfied.

Their StartSet 3 would get you going, although realistically you will need several additional switch decoders and feedback units to implement decent automation.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
H0
Offline STE-BM  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2022 00:25:53(UTC)
STE-BM

United Kingdom   
You are correct. Another example of that is the SRSE II project
https://www.stummiforum.de/t160368f7-Gleisbox-als-Zentrale.html just use google translate to read the thread. It’s really insightful.

That was inspired from this project

I have an SRSE setup with Rocrail and it works pretty well for my needs.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by STE-BM
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2022 00:47:32(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Originally Posted by: STE-BM Go to Quoted Post
You are correct. Another example of that is the SRSE II project
https://www.stummiforum.de/t160368f7-Gleisbox-als-Zentrale.html just use google translate to read the thread. It’s really insightful.

Yes, this is a valid alternative for those who don't mind doing some DIY work. I preferred CAN Digital to avoid the complexity and cost of S88 feedback units that would be needed in this approach.

- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline einotuominen  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2022 16:05:18(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: fbaube Go to Quoted Post
Some German-language websites (& google translate) are giving me a fuzzy idea that it is possible to control Märklin digital locomotives directly from a computer. Perhaps someone could clarify (in English) what the possibilities are ?

If I understand it correctly, the CAN-bus protocol operates between (for example) the Mobile Station 2 and a "track box" (Märklin 60113 ?), and it is possible to use the CAN protocol from a computer that connects directly to the "track box" via a USB/CAN cable.

Hi! Did you find a solution for youself? I too am using Can Digital Bahn products together with MS2 trackbox and Märklin turnout/accessory decoders.

My setup is is Macbook Pro with Rocrail + CDB CC-Schnitte + CDB Startpunkt 2.0 + five boxes of CDB Gleissreporter Deluxe 2.0.

Works very well when keeping MS2 disconnected from the system at the same time with Rocrail. However I think Martti above has MS2 and Rocrail working alongside each other well.
Offline fbaube  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2022 22:41:37(UTC)
fbaube

Finland   
Actually I confess that at this point it's all Greek to me. I'm a newcomer to Märklin and I'm just trying to get a handle on how Märklin Digital works at the nuts-n-bolts level, so that I can make sure that future purchases work with the equipment I currently have.

And, well, what I have so far is two C-track digital starter sets, and they have two completely different sets of controllers and track connections. They are not with me at the moment so I'm not 100% sure about part numbers.

On the one hand I have a set with engine 37006 (BR-212), 24088 feeder track, and 60652 Mobile Station; the transformer is quite large & heavy and has a cord running to the wall plug.

On the other hand I have a set (29182, I think) with 30881(?) industrial diesel engine, 24089 base station, and a wireless infrared controller; power comes via a small unit that plugs directly into the wall socket.

I have absolutely no idea whether these two controllers (and their track connections) can be used simultaneously in a single layout, so that my son and I could each have a controller. Also I have no idea whether these two controllers could both be part of a future expanded system that would include more-advanced control, whether from Märklin or from some other manufacturer (Intellibox. Rocrail, something).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated !

Fred

Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2022 23:26:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I have absolutely no idea whether these two controllers (and their track connections) can be used simultaneously in a single layout, so that my son and I could each have a controller.

No, you cannot do that.

Also I have no idea whether these two controllers could both be part of a future expanded system that would include more-advanced control, whether from Märklin or from some other manufacturer (Intellibox. Rocrail, something).

You can expand the ms2 system by getting a second ms2 controller and plugging it into the track box. The instruction leaflet with your controller should show you how to do this.

You can obtain a second infrared handheld unit, and use both IR hand pieces with the one receiver and control different locos by having the A-B-C-D switches set differently. However the two controllers will interfere with each other if buttons are pressed on both controllers at the same time. The receiver will not be able to distinguish between the two IR signals and so they will block each other.

You will not be able to use any Intellibox items with either controller you have.

People have used software programs like Rocrail with an ms2 by using a special interface that plugs into one of the ms2 sockets on the track box. I have no experience with this, although others on this forum have, and seem satisfied with it. I'll let them comment on this further.

As an aside, you can use the piece of track that has the IR receiver attached as a normal piece of track by pulling the spade lugs underneath off their respective lugs and removing the IR receiver. From memory it unclips off the track piece. Don't leave the IR receiver connected to the track when the ms2 track box is connected. You will damage either, or possibly both, of them.
Offline einotuominen  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2022 09:29:24(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Actually I confess that at this point it's all Greek to me. I'm a newcomer to Märklin and I'm just trying to get a handle on how Märklin Digital works at the nuts-n-bolts level, so that I can make sure that future purchases work with the equipment I currently have.

Rail transport modelling is the worlds greatest hobby so you are on the right track.

Please watch this whole multiepisode series by Märklin https://youtube.com/play...5MoDYTWbPkV2QgyGJX0O-SQ0

This will give you a very good idea of the Märklin digital system. It is a long series, but also very entertaining.

They also have german version.

-Eino