Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hmsfix  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2006 00:37:40(UTC)
hmsfix

Presently I am preparing a new layout using K-track as I am a real fan of K-track: flexible track, slim turnouts, very nice design, large radii, and absolutely no problems with electrical contact so far...

Only thing which I definitely dislike are these switching tracks 2229, 2239, 2299. Sometimes they cause a contact interrupt, and this is very annoying for digital locos. When the slider is on the contact tongue there a power blackout occurs sometimes, but not always: loco sound is interrupted, motion is jerky, or even complete standstill at low speed. I thoroughly cleaned the contact tongue and its bearings, corrected the contact braces, checked whether there is something wrong with the puko height, etc. Some improvement, but no real breakthrough.

Of course, I'll also consider to use reed relays, light barriers etc., but it should somehow be possible to work with those switching tracks. So any advice appreciated.

With M-track switching track I don't have this problem at all.

Hans Martin
Offline Vardex  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2006 00:44:30(UTC)
Vardex

Netherlands   
Grind down the plastic "wippe" a little bit,it probably lifts the pickup shoe a little bit.

Bart
Offline rugauger  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2006 12:37:00(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
I personally am not a great friend of these switching tracks, be it for M or K.

I'd go for insulating one of the rails and get the contact made by the wheels. Of course, this assumes that your application can deal with multiple contacts being made by the same train (or you use a relay).
Richard
Offline hqstu  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2006 14:54:32(UTC)
hqstu

New Zealand   
I had this exact problem tonight with one (not all) of my locos on a M track circuit track. Solution was to improve the downward pressure of the pickup shoe spring tension on the loco. This increased pressure overcame the spring tension of the circuit track. An alternative would be to ease the tension in the circuit track but since in this case just the one loco was mis-behaving, I looked at the loco shoe.

I'm not a fan of circuit tracks either, I will be using reed switches as my prefered method for momentary contact, but I have installed these circuit tracks as a backup.

Also I am still investigating light barrier switches but can't find a solution for a momentary pulse...

Cheers

Stuart
New Zealand