Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2022 10:49:05(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hello again,

I have succesfully made Rocrail work with CC Schnitte from Can Digital Bahn together with Mobile Station 2. I have also bought 4 pieces of Can Digital Bahn GleisReporter DeLuxe feedback modules.

It is very clear to me how to create contact tracks if using S88, but in the case of GleisReporterd DeLuxe, there is also two connections for the brown wire. I have understood that this is a "ground reference voltage".

I have tried to translate the german manual, but can't really understand how to create contact tracks for this device. I assume it's mostly the same as when using S88, but where do the brown wire should exactly go, and why are there two terminals for it?

Respectfully,

-Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2022 12:33:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eino
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post

I have tried to translate the german manual, but can't really understand how to create contact tracks for this device. I assume it's mostly the same as when using S88, but where do the brown wire should exactly go, and why are there two terminals for it?

Usually those sensor systems like Märklin's S88 operate with Galvanic insulation (big word to say, the inputs are floating and need a common voltage reference). This is why the Link88 requires a specific / separate power supply. Each entry is read when connected with the sensor system common (the upside down "T" in Märklin)
This is also the case with the Link88 in conjunction with a CS2 or CS3 (60226). There, the contact acquisition system (S88) needs ONE connection with the digital 0 to "read" contact rails.
Failing to have this sensor system common results in no signal read. Having more that one sensor system common connector to ground makes the risk that, in case of a derailment, a strong current may go through the sensor cabling (Often Ethernet-like RK45 cables)
If this does not answer your question, can you please send the users manual in German?
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2022 13:44:29(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thank you Jean,

this brings a bit light to the issue. Couple of more questions though. I have four of these GleisReporter DeLuce boxes that are to be connected together with an ethernet like cable.

Do all of these boxes require a connection to the digital 0 (the brown wire), or is it enough for just one... Can there be any harm, if all are connected. You mention the case with derailment, is this what you mean?

And also does it matter where the brown wire actually comes from? I'm asking this because all the german examples I have found, connect the brown wire to the same contact track, but to a different rail than the actual contact wire? However no example has more than one box.

Also it bothers me that there are two input connectors for brown per box...

This is the product page

https://www.can-digital-...s5&modul=113#Mod_Top

And on that page there is a link to the manual which is here: https://can-digital-bahn...?did=113&file_id=268

Thank you very much for your help!

-Eino

EDIT:

I found an manual page for the previous version of the same product: https://www.can-digital-...ys5&modul=57#Mod_Top

Here it clearly states:

Quote:
The track sections, which should be reported back as occupied, can be connected like with the known s88-modules. This way old modules can be replaced through the GleisReporter deLuxe without further ado.

And there surely is plenty of good tutorials creating contact tracks to be connected into S88 in english!

Also

Quote:
What absolutely needs to be observed is: every! module must be connected to the tracks via the two-pole screw-type terminal. Without this connection no module is able to recognize vehicles.

Of this I understand that I could connect the modules directly to Distribution strip that is connected to the tracbox?
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2022 20:39:28(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Hi Eino,

Each GleisReporter de Luxe needs to be connected to the ground. Any ground connection will do: the tracks ("0" contact in C-gleis), a distribution box, or any other ground contact as may be convenient. I have connected mine to the nearest C-track.

The GleisReporter boxes have two terminals probably to allow their ground connections be daisy chained together in the case that the boxes are mounted under the layout so that just one box needs to be connected to the tracks.

The contact terminals of GleisReporter is also galvanically isolated.

- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2022 01:33:57(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eino
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
I have four of these GleisReporter DeLuce boxes that are to be connected together with an ethernet like cable.

Do all of these boxes require a connection to the digital 0 (the brown wire), or is it enough for just one... Can there be any harm, if all are connected. You mention the case with derailment, is this what you mean?

And also does it matter where the brown wire actually comes from? I'm asking this because all the german examples I have found, connect the brown wire to the same contact track, but to a different rail than the actual contact wire? However no example has more than one box.

Also it bothers me that there are two input connectors for brown per box...

There are 2 worlds I think:
- the Märklin 3 rail system
- the 2 rail often DCC world

In the Märklin world (3 rails), there is only ONE GROUND connecting the entire layout.
Yes there may be boosters dividing the "Center rail" into zones insulated from each other BUT, regarding signals, they are all "referenced" vis à vis this common ground.
For this reason, ONLY ONE point of connecting the ground to the S88 but, when using the GleisReporter Deluxe, EACH module MUST be connected to ground because it includes agalvanic separation for each module.

About the GleisReporter Deluxe
- it is compatible with S88 modules and can be connected to the CS2 or CS3 but it differs in quite some ways described below
- it includes the "diode trick" Basically it is a diode inserted in parallel to the input so that the UNUSED part of the digital signal is used to reduce the number of cases where short locos stall, the ground return is also partly provided by the "insulated rail". Partly? the unused alternance of the digital signal is connected to the digital ground by a diode to help the loco move even in bad contact situations
- the GleisReporter Deluxe connects directly the CAN bus in a similar way as the Link 88 does
- the GleisReporter Deluxe connects ONLY 8 INPUTS (Unlike the LINK 88 or the S88 which connects 16 INPUTS per module).
- the GleisReporter Deluxe module UNLIKE the S88 / LINK88 has a mini keyboard (MausKlavier). This is to define the address of the input block
- EACH GleisReporter Deluxe MODULE must be connected to the ground of the rail zone it watches

So looking into the GleisReporter Deluxe manual, its structure can be used by CS2s or CS3s but apparently not mixed with the S88 world.
It seems to bring added protection towards electrical noise but the drawback is twice more modules and additional wiring.

This can make sense in 2 rails (I don't know if you are 2 rails or 3 rails)
I must say I am familiar with the Märklin world (3 rails) and the Märklin sensor collecting technique (S88, Link88). My layout is medium size with 140 sensors to drive Rocrail and I have not experienced serious electrical noise issues in this context.

Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 07 October 2022 13:03:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline einotuominen  
#6 Posted : 07 October 2022 07:51:05(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thanks guys,

The issue is quite clear now. Let's see what happens when I get to test connect a box, hopefully this weekend.

Best regards,
-Eino
Offline einotuominen  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2022 18:58:00(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Everything seems to work end to end!

Here’s a video in case someone else is ever having the same issue https://www.instagram.co...3l3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thanks guys!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by einotuominen