Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2022 19:46:55(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Time for me to do something in a different scale as I would like to make a “Switchman’s Nightmare” by Linn Westcott in Z scale. Please see picture below. I have zero experience in Z scale so I would like to ask, is this feasible or is this scale too small to shunt freight cars?

The other question I have is which is the better Z track, Märklin, Micro Trains or Rokuhan?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Michel

D83D90CC-F7E0-4344-893E-7684EA5619CD.pnglayout.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2022 23:19:38(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I have never tried to create the switch “nightmare” you are inquiring about, but would think it is possible to do this in “Z”. There are many options with the Marklin brand of track.

I hope you find the z track plan document information useful for this. I can see the basic shape of your picture is perhaps similar to those shown on page 45 but add a few more switch points.

https://www.maerklin.de/...Buch_Spur_Z_komplett.pdf

There are different opinions about who makes the best track I only have the Marklin track and can tell you it takes longer to install because it must be ballasted. Even with this, as stated earlier, there are many options with the track pieces. I cannot say the same amount of options are available with the other track brands. It is nice when it comes with the ballast, but many also say, they don’t like the fake plastic look which you get. In this regard, it is your preference on how you want it to look.

Hope this helps. Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 02 September 2022 00:48:01(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Not to forget there is an inverse square law. When gauge gets smaller parts go up in price!

I have done track ballast on Z gauge, it is painful.

IMG_8728.jpg

I have only even used Marklin rail. It's the 1:220 gauge that is the issue itself. I have also silver soldered 660mm rail back together for continuous rail. It's not difficult as such, but time consuming & you need to knock up a jig to align the rail. https://www.marklin-user...8-Continuous-Welded-Rail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2022 10:42:23(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
is this feasible or is this scale too small to shunt freight cars?

I certainly do it and I have also seen exhibition layouts were it has been done. I have only done it manually and the main shunting exhibition layout (using American couplings) I have seen also does it manually (use a cocktail stick or small screwdriver). The key is to be patient and go gently, it is quite easy to derail light wagons. I tried a couple of 8587 uncoupling tracks, but they don't work very well for me - so I won't bother with getting any more.

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2022 13:18:55(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Another way to look at this subject!

brain.jpg
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2022 13:50:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It can occur with HO track as well. You can shim up the low sides with thin cardboard, thick paper, or wood on ho. You can either ballast to hide it, or glue scatter material next to it, or use the grass mat cut to fit.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Toosmall  
#7 Posted : 02 September 2022 22:49:53(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
When you have worked out the track plan, assemble all the points, don't forget isolated sections, on Z gauge you really don't want to disassemble track multiple times, the fish plates don't like it.

Trace out the track layout and cut out a plywood template of the overall sleepers extent. Lay this on top of the baseboard so you have enough ballast height. Paint it the same colour as the ballast colour you will be using as bits of ballast fall out over time.

_MG_7595_071344.jpg

_MG_75950_063458.jpg

I used 3 colours in the ballast material colour so it didn't look too uniform.

IMG_1480_centre_114124.jpg

IMG_15241_084842.jpg
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 03 September 2022 04:19:53(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Jonathan,

Those pictures look lovely! The one with the ICE train almost looks real.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 03 September 2022 23:20:54(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Time for me to do something in a different scale as I would like to make a “Switchman’s Nightmare” by Linn Westcott in Z scale. Please see picture below. I have zero experience in Z scale so I would like to ask, is this feasible or is this scale too small to shunt freight cars?

The other question I have is which is the better Z track, Märklin, Micro Trains or Rokuhan?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Michel

I know it has been done, but I don't feel Z scale is well suited to switching/shunting. Decoupling is a problem, as Carim has mentioned, and slow speed running isn't really up to it, either. Even with something like the Snail controller, the risk of dirty track continuity problems makes satisfactory running unlikely.

I love Z scale, and it has many attractions, but I fear you'd end up hugely frustrated if you try this.

Cheers

Chris

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Toosmall  
#10 Posted : 04 September 2022 02:53:06(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I agree, personally I find that Z lends itself to running long(ish) trains. I think you will get frustrated with shunting only in Z. By all means do it, at least for the scenery, but think about incorporating it into a bigger picture. At least pre design an option so you can add the shunting module to a larger layout later without destroying all the hard work. Even if you only run a couple of basic loops around it.

My current layout it basically two completely independent loops, folded up to have long runs. In effect two layouts in one layout. If I had the room I would put in a shunting area, I even have a 8994 transfer table, but quite frankly it would be there for the scenery only.

I had a custom transformer made, which I believe was a chopped power supply of some sort. It could creep a loco along by the mm, in this respect it was brilliant, but the motor in the loco sounded horrible. I was concerned it was doing damage so didn't use it.
Offline Carim  
#11 Posted : 04 September 2022 15:27:33(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I think there is a simple solution to this debate. Get a few bits of track and one point, a controller, a loco and 2-3 wagons. Then set up the track like a "Y". Place your wagons on one arm and then using the loco, take each wagon over to the other arm, reassembling your train in the opposite order. This will tell you whether, given your setup, a shunting layout is feasible/enjoyable.

Carim
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Carim