Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline luckas  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2022 04:19:27(UTC)
luckas

Greetings,

I've set up a combined home and distant signal, with the distant signal coupled to the following block signal's address. It seems to work fine, except for the "off" state of the distant signal when its home signal is red. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to configure this in the CS3.

Any advice gratefully received,

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by luckas
Offline twmarklinfan  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2022 09:49:06(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Hi Paul,

I think what you have described is correct. When the home signal is red, no information is shown about the settings of the next signal. The moment the home signal is set to off the setting of the distant signal on the same mast is illuminated.

Regards
Adrian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 25 August 2022 15:59:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Paul
Originally Posted by: luckas Go to Quoted Post
There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to configure this in the CS3.

This is not made by the CS2 or CS3 but by the local combined signal (which turns off the distant signal part ("Vorsignal") when the main signal (Hauptsignal) is closed (HP0 or Red), I think
Cheers
Jean
Offline luckas  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2022 01:57:12(UTC)
luckas

Thanks Jean and Adrian,

Jean - that makes sense. I have not yet attached an actual signal to the layout, but was playing around with 'virtual' signals in the CS3. For the life of me I could not get the distant signal to "off" when its combined block signal was red. If it is a part of the 'hardware' rather than the 'software', then that makes sense. I have such a signal arriving next week, so I'll know for sure then.

Much appreciated,

Paul
Offline Mark5  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2022 02:42:24(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul
There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to configure this in the CS3.

This is not made by the CS2 or CS3 but by the local combined signal (which turns off the distant signal part ("Vorsignal") when the main signal (Hauptsignal) is closed (HP0 or Red), I think
Cheers
Jean

As the distant signal works in tandem with the home signal anyway, why would one need to have a separate indicator. I am all for simplicity. Having them work in unison would be enough for me. I am supposing one might feel it should show on the display, is that correct?

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2022 04:33:26(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
When you have a combined main signal and distant signal on the same mast, the distant signal should not show any indication and enter "dark mode" when the main signal on the mast switches to red. This is set up in the decoder that is used to control the signal. In my case I use LDT signal decoders and Viessmann signals. When you first connect the signals both signals on the mast will show illumination for all aspects of that signal regardless whether the main signal is red or not. One needs to remain in programming mode and then push the specified keyboard button on the CS2 to enter dark mode. Once that has been done, the distant signal will always turn "dark" when the main signal turns red. This "dark mode", however, does not show up on the CS2 keyboard screen. It continues to show the last distant signal setting.

Alternatively, if you are using software to control your railroad, such as Rocrail, there is a procedure there as well to configure the "dark mode" if the decoder used does not offer it.

Since you didn't specify whose signals and decoders you are going to use, it is best to read up on what their procedure needs to be.

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Bones  
#7 Posted : 08 September 2022 08:41:12(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
Greetings,

I've set up a combined home and distant signal, with the distant signal coupled to the following block signal's address. It seems to work fine, except for the "off" state of the distant signal when its home signal is red. There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to configure this in the CS3.

Paul

Thats odd to me since the distant should remain on no matter what the home signal is set to since the distant tells you what the next signal behind the home is set to so unless the
home signal behind is only a simple block signal then it's not displaying properly

Check what signal you have behind the home and check that the indication's match

Otherwise it's software problems that only happen every so often with each iteration

Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 08 September 2022 11:55:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bones Go to Quoted Post
Greetings,

Paul

Thats odd to me since the distant should remain on no matter what the home signal is set to since the distant tells you what the next signal behind the home is set to so unless the
home signal behind is only a simple block signal then it's not displaying properly

Well, it makes sense to me. If the home signal is red then the distant signal is irrelevant as the train has to stop. Also having the distant signal go dark removes a potential source of mistakes. Consider a train stopped at the home signal, and the distant signal changes aspect, bu thte drivers attention attention has wandered while he is stopped. He sees the change in the distant signal out of the corner of his eye and thinks the home signal has changed state, so starts the train past the red home signal ... Blink Scared Scared Scared

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline PMPeter  
#9 Posted : 08 September 2022 15:51:31(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bones Go to Quoted Post
Greetings,

Paul

It may seem odd to you but that is the regulation in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Here is an excerpt from the Signaling document found on the Rocrail WiKi:

8.3 Blanking of Main / Distant Signal Combinations
The signal rules for Germany, Austria and Switzerland stipulate in the case of the light main signal showing "stop" that a distant signal set up at the same location (usually on the same mast) must not display any aspect. The distant signal is switched off at "stop" of the main signal, all lamps are dark. This is called blanking (technical term used in the German signal rules).
In terms of safety, this makes perfect sense, such that "stop" and "go" are not displayed at the same location at the same time.
These signal combinations are used for short block distances, so actually ideal for the model train layouts.

The whole document can be viewed at:

https://wiki.rocrail.net...hp?id=signaling-en&s[]=signal
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter