Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2022 15:17:36(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

I live near Lausanne, below me I can see the main line to Brig and the Simplon and also the line Bern.
I have noticed over the last few months extra locos in the various passenger consists, for example
Yesterday I saw Brig train with loco(SBB 460), 6 Double deck IC2000s, Loco(SBB 460), 4 single decks and a steer coach, loco(SBB 460).
This train could easily be pulled by one loco (SBB 460) and was in the past. Confused
I have now seen this set up of multiple locos many times.

What I want to know is there a reason why.

I do know that all the SBB 460s are rented from a company in Canada and there may be a surplus due to the introduction of the Bombadier Twindex units on the IC trains.
but still it is very inefficient,

I also know they used two locos on the ICs before the arrival of the twindex, to pull the heavy ICs out of the new underground part of Zurich Station, as the entrance ramp was too steep (ooops)

Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2022 15:30:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Could this be a case of portion working: somewhere down the line the train is split and two shorter trains go to different destinations.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Timnomads  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2022 15:54:02(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Could this be a case of portion working: somewhere down the line the train is split and two shorter trains go to different destinations.

No, the whole train goes to Brig the end station.

Tim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 20 July 2022 15:55:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi!

That would be my thought too. It may well end up being more efficient timewise to include the locos in the train from the start rather than add them when the train is split - there may well be not enough loco stabling facilities at the split point to hold sufficient locos, or the loco depot has closed.

Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2022 15:57:28(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Is there a manitaintence repair facility in Brig?
Offline Unholz  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2022 16:04:41(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   

This is one of the possibilites for this kind of consisting which is called "Re 460 Sandwich" by the staff. Wink It is also possible that the section of the train with an Re 460 at the front continues from Brig to Domodossola and might be required to have the loco heading (perhaps Italian regulations?). Or then it is more practical to have a loco at the front or the end for easier maintenance access reasons either at Geneva or Brig.

BTW, the problem of the two Re 460's needed for very heavy trains leaving Zürich main station over one of the steep ramps still exists.

But one thing is certain: None of the Re 460 are surplus because they still form the backbone of SBB Intercity operations, even more so because the new Bombardier Twindexx double-deck trainsets are still causing problems and remain very unpopular with staff and passengers.

Picture of a similar sandwich train on an other line: https://www.flickr.com/photos/td3f/49879770442
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2022 16:34:38(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know which particular routes that consist may be used on in the course of a day, but my first encounter with such a consist was due to the fact that at some point during it's daily travels, the consist was used on a run to Basel and then on a run to Zurich, which meant that the locomotive would have been at the rear of the consist on arrival at Zurich, which is the opposite of the norm. In order to ensure that the train always had a lok at the front when arriving in Zurich, it ran with a lok at both ends.

I don't know if this is still the case in 2022.

I have used reisezuege.ch to examine the consists for each Fahrplan (Schedule) for many years now.

Can one of our experts clarify which train consists may still be divided along the route and having segments continuing to separate destinations. How many are reunited on the return trip and how many might be joined to other trains for the return trip?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Unholz  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2022 20:56:59(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Can one of our experts clarify which train consists may still be divided along the route and having segments continuing to separate destinations. How many are reunited on the return trip and how many might be joined to other trains for the return trip?

Not precisely, but www.sbb.ch says: "A dividing train is a train which divides into two separate train compositions en route. These units serve different destination stations. In short: a train with two destinations. You can identify dividing trains by the symbol of a branching arrow provided in the train information in the SBB Mobile app and on SBB.ch."

Example (hopefully still correct): Trains coming from Biel/Bienne are divided in Sonceboz-Sombeval. One segment runs to La Chaux-de-Fonds, the other continues to Tavannes – Malleray-Bévilard, for instance R 7120.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline petestra  
#9 Posted : 22 July 2022 18:52:08(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Wow, Tim. What a fabulous place to live. Back in the 80s I was visiting Chatteau Chillon near you and I ended up trainwatching all that afternoon there. Cheers, Peter. Cool

Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

I live near Lausanne, below me I can see the main line to Brig and the Simplon and also the line Bern.
I have noticed over the last few months extra locos in the various passenger consists, for example
Yesterday I saw Brig train with loco(SBB 460), 6 Double deck IC2000s, Loco(SBB 460), 4 single decks and a steer coach, loco(SBB 460).
This train could easily be pulled by one loco (SBB 460) and was in the past. Confused
I have now seen this set up of multiple locos many times.

What I want to know is there a reason why.

I do know that all the SBB 460s are rented from a company in Canada and there may be a surplus due to the introduction of the Bombadier Twindex units on the IC trains.
but still it is very inefficient,

I also know they used two locos on the ICs before the arrival of the twindex, to pull the heavy ICs out of the new underground part of Zurich Station, as the entrance ramp was too steep (ooops)

Tim