Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline costing  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2022 07:14:31(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Do you know if the TGV set has specific side clearance constraints? I have a couple of narrow curves and I'm afraid that the inner side would touch the wall. For reference these SBB wagons do pass, but the TGV geometry is different.

Thank you for letting me know if you have this set and have noticed clearance issues on your layouts, it's an expensive test to do otherwise :)

Cheers,

.costin
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2022 08:02:29(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: costing Go to Quoted Post
Do you know if the TGV set has specific side clearance constraints?
Quote from the product description: "The minimum radius for operation is therefore 360 mm / 14-3/16", when there is sufficient clearance on both sides."
That is Märklin lingo for "expect some problems". They do not tell you where to expect problems. It could be with R1 curved bridges, or with signals, or with catenary mast.
There can be problems with non-Märklin items like tunnel portals.

We cannot know the clearances you have on your layout.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Gregor  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2022 08:51:24(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
...it's an expensive test to do otherwise :)

Indeed, the French did this expensive test in real life:

France's $20 Billion Trains Don’t Fit in The Station Platforms

So don't worry if your French trains hit the wall here and there, it is conform reality...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2022 09:10:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post
So don't worry if your French trains hit the wall here and there, it is conform reality...
The real-life problems were with the TER trains, not the TGV trains.
There was a similar incident with street cars in Germany - when placing the order for one town, they did not check the clearances of the neighbouring towns and inter-town trains encountered problems.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline costing  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2022 09:17:03(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Quote:

Indeed, the French did this expensive test in real life:

:)) So I would be in good company indeed!

Quote:
That is Märklin lingo for "expect some problems". They do not tell you where to expect problems. It could be with R1 curved bridges, or with signals, or with catenary mast.

That would fit my context, I have one R1 30deg piece on a bridge. I'll try first to rework the area and get rid of that segment, then everything will be R2 and higher. Thanks for the push in the right direction!
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 12 July 2022 10:12:08(UTC)
H0

That would fit my context, I have one R1 30deg piece on a bridge.
Märklin refers to the 74613 curved ramp only. Bridges from other companies may be fine.
Page #9 of the 74613 manual recommends installing the side pieces upside down if problems occur. That could be a simple solution.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline costing  
#7 Posted : 15 July 2022 13:00:51(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Good point about the side pieces. I've reworked the plan to get rid of the R1 curves, waiting for the replacement 74623 part to proceed with the remodeling of the area :)

Highlighted is the place where this will go in, and south of it up to the junction is the area to rework.

Screenshot_20220715_125646.png