Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dannyboyz  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2022 22:48:28(UTC)
dannyboyz

Ireland   
I am in the process of building my first z gauge layout and have acquired quite a few pieces of Rokuhan track second hand. I intend making a test/running in track with the Rokuhan, but only have the Marklin controller which came with a set. For the test track, I suppose any controller would do, but from what I have read on this interesting forum and elsewhere, the volts need to be kept to 10 or less. I realise that a 9v battery would do in an emergency, but with that, there is no speed control. Has anybody any thoughts on what to use for the test track control - cheap?

Addit: I suppose any 12v DC controller would do if it had a physical 'stop' around the 10v mark - would that work okay?
Addit : Took out a sentence that did not fit.

Edited by user 01 July 2022 13:54:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2022 11:41:46(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Why aren't you using the Märklin controller on your test track? If you use plug & socket terminal blocks, it is no problem to swap a controller between layouts.

In theory you could use a 12V controller if you limited the output (I would wire in a miniature voltmeter into the circuit, they only cost a few £) - but accidents do happen. Crying

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline dannyboyz  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2022 13:51:24(UTC)
dannyboyz

Ireland   
Thanks for the suggestion @Carim. The test track is going to be fixed to the underneath of the lid on the layout. The layout is in a 4' x 2' wooden box I have made, with a full size drawer underneath. The lid will lift off when using the layout and just be turned over when using the test track. The controller is in the drawer underneath the layout. Your suggestion would work but having just had a quick look at the 'box', (for want of a better word for now), the thought struck me that I could make use of a DPDT switch - one side powering the layout, the other side powering the test track. Something else to think about.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dannyboyz
Offline dannyboyz  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2022 11:42:20(UTC)
dannyboyz

Ireland   
Just to let you all know that I have wired the controller to a DPDT switch and, via plug and socket terminal blocks, I can now power either the test track or the layout from the one controller. Having said that, I have just bought a part set from a seller on ebay, new, that is missing the locomotive, but does include a controller, so once it arrives, I will have two Marklin controllers. I suppose I will now have to think about having two circuits on the layout!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dannyboyz