Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2022 07:48:33(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I have been trying to find a way to make corrugated metal roofing and I have come up with a good way. In Walmart, in the craft section, you will find packages of 1/8" dowels. They are 6" long and come 50 to the package. Cost is about $1.50. I cut the 6" dowels in half and lay them side-by-side onto a piece of tape to hold them tightly together. I then glue a piece of wood or plywood about 3"x6" to the wood dowels. Let the glue dry well. After an hour or two, remove the tape from the dowels. Take aluminum foil, shiny side down and place it on top of the dowels. Holding on to one end of the foil, press down on the foil with a soft eraser. This will emboss a corrugated pattern on to the foil. It is now ready to be glued to roofs of houses and sheds. It can also be used as metal siding on factory buildings. Use heavy duty aluminum foil, not the ordinary kitchen wrap.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2022 14:09:07(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The aluminium disposable oven cooking trays are a bit thicker still, or some aluminium flashing.
Offline Mr. Ron  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2022 18:04:20(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
The aluminium disposable oven cooking trays are a bit thicker still, or some aluminium flashing.

I found another way. Just take corrugated cardboard and peel off one outside layer and then using a sandpaper block, carefully smooth out the surface. It's to large for HO scale, but could be used for O scale and larger. I found some very thin corrugated stock that I think may work for HO scale, but I don't have any at the moment.

Offline Mr. Ron  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2022 03:25:37(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post

I found another way. Just take corrugated cardboard and peel off one outside layer and then using a sandpaper block, carefully smooth out the surface. It's to large for HO scale, but could be used for O scale and larger. I found some very thin corrugated stock that I think may work for HO scale, but I don't have any at the moment.

I found another place where they have thin corrugated board. The U.S. postal service has priority mail cartons that are thin and suitable for HO models. It's a bit of a job to peel one layer off but can be done; just takes a few minutes.