Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2022 22:49:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
My 39120 encountered a crash when an un noticed car uncoupled and it collided with it, crashing off to the floor.
The front bogie assembly came off and apart. I was able to re assemble it, and resolder the wires. Now it shorts out a soon as track power is on.
I see no cracks in the pcb board, or any other damage. Any ideas? I checked to be sure the pick-up shpe wire and ground weren't reveresed.
I thought perhaps the ground terminal was shorting on the bogie top, next to the gears and removed a bit of extra solder, but it didn't help.
Thank you in advance.
Offline eduard71  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2022 20:37:11(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hello,
Is the integrity of the chasis in good shape? have you look into all the cables to see if there is any broken or unprotected cable making the short? You should also review if the 21 pin decoder is correctly connected and in possition. Also is the locomotive making the short with the shell? have you tried to place the locomotive without the shell? it could be omething inside the shell touching some critical component and making the short.

Regards

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2022 20:47:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes Eduardo, and thank you! I think I have it figured out. Even with both slider, and ground wire disconnected, it still shorts. So I disassembled the front bogie again and saw that I soldered the slider wire on the opposite side of it's contact than the factory did. That moved the terminal closer to the gear. I put ot back to the other side. I think it was touching the side of a gear, causing a short. I will let you know later on in a day or so. I have to add some epoxy to the side frame holes because the screw holes have enlarged and the screws don't grab the plastic. There isn't much plastic for them to grab onto to begin with. I see the plastic around the screw heads. Looks like a very thin washer/spacer which wore off the holes.
Marklin doesn't have the power frame or the bogie side frames in stock. The parts list is vague in that it lables them as steps, so I don't klnow what I will get.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2022 13:51:56(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
On models like the 39120 the 2 first things to check are:
- inspect the wire between the slider and the PCB It may have been damaged / Insulation removed.Replacement with a thin red wire is recommended.
- does the model works OK when the housing is removed? If yes, check for a bent pantograph?
39120.png
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2022 15:11:44(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Good news for step one! After allowing the epoxy to set up overnight, I made new screw holes in the side frame with a straight pin, then used a very narrow file to widen them. Once I got the proper size and lined up the side frame with the bogie holes, and reassembled, I set only the truck on the track, and no short! Next I'll see if it runs without the body.
The panto's are ok. The front bogie took the blunt impact.
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 04 May 2022 20:41:39(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No go yet! It doesn't short with only either the front or rear wheels on the tracks, only when both are. No wires connected up except from the rear bogie ground terminal.
Could it be the pick-up slider wire a bit long, and touching the bogie truck above the contqact tab? The stripped insualtion on the wire is a bit long, I have to check it.
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 06 May 2022 17:01:58(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
All fixed an running perfectly! Just a bit too much solder on the slider wire terminal causing it to touch the bogie or gear.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999