Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pasquiles  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2022 23:16:09(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Hi all,

First of all apologies if the topic is repeated. I was searching in the forum but I did not found exactly what I was looking for.

I am in the final phase of planning my future layout, which is going to be quite small, I will simply be running the locos via the CS3 events, therefore I concluded that I do not want to cut the current from the track as the Märklin signals do.

So, my question is: what is the best option for cosmetic signals that will in any case be controlled via the CS3?

Just standard Märklin signals without using the option of cutting the current?

Many thanks in advance!
Online marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2022 23:41:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The older color light or semiphore, or hobby signals will work with an M83 decoder, move and or change colors. You would just not connect them with a blocked current section, and insulate the tips of the wires for that.
You realize you need contact tracks or contact or reed switches in order to trigger events. You trains will not stop at signals either.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Pasquiles  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2022 00:42:52(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Yes, I am planning to have contact sections, so the trains, can break or stop, following the events.

Is there any option for light signals? I would prefer them as I will model German eras V-VI

I believe I could use the option of the “star up” signals + M84, but not sure it is a good option.
Offline BenP  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2022 05:06:15(UTC)
BenP

United States   
I like signals, so have many on my digitalized m track layout. I use various old style signals with the red break wires unsoldered and a ground connect added (instead of using connection plate). The signals are individually controlled by CS3+ via M83s. You can also connect them with track turnouts and such, to reduce number of M83 modules. As someone already mentioned, you need contact tracks or circuit sensors to engage signals automatically and to control train actions (like stop and go).
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2022 12:14:13(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Cheapest option, and performing well, is to get some Viessmann signals and their decoder modules (5213).

No need to buy expensive Marklin signals and M84 modules.

You could also built your own signals which can be quite fun.

And with control automation you are heading the right direction with merely using signals as a light accessory and not to use them to actually control the automation.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2022 12:24:00(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Pasquiles Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

First of all apologies if the topic is repeated. I was searching in the forum but I did not found exactly what I was looking for.

I am in the final phase of planning my future layout, which is going to be quite small, I will simply be running the locos via the CS3 events, therefore I concluded that I do not want to cut the current from the track as the Märklin signals do.

So, my question is: what is the best option for cosmetic signals that will in any case be controlled via the CS3?

Just standard Märklin signals without using the option of cutting the current?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi
Your approach lead to 2 possibilities:
- manual control of trains ( you, as a driver, must obey signals and someone has to set the signals (contact tracks?)
- PC-driven trains where events (sensors) order trains to start, to stop only by sending digital orders

This second approach cannot be made using a CS2, CS3 etc because none of them follow the position of each train.
I use Rocrail because it is very powerful, has a nice forum and there is no blackmail with new releases.

Cosmetic signals: since they serve only cosmetic purposes, they can be from any manufacturers (Märklin is not the cheapest). It also depends on the type of signals you wish to use (semaphores or light signals)

Some obvious remarks: hidden places don't need signals, light signals oriented in the "wrong" way can be dummies
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rbw993  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2022 13:12:40(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hello Pasquiles,
You might want to look at Schneider Signale. They are very reasonably priced and available from Huenerbein. The back of the leds require a bit of black paint but that is a small price to pay for their lower cost.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Tie  
#8 Posted : 08 April 2022 21:56:07(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
I will summon the courage to disagree with JohnjeanB🥲 Without computer programs to run your trains: On a small layout I have 5 trains running between stations and stopping/waiting for single lines between stations to be unoccupied before entering next block. If such an event is sufficient it should be possible to make events triggering signals based on input from contact tracks… at least I am planning for this. New 3d resin printer to print my own signals and setting them up with red/green/yellow/white microdiodes and povered by m83s with input from cs3😳 That at least is the plan🥲
Regards
Thor Inge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline Pasquiles  
#9 Posted : 08 April 2022 22:56:17(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Many thanks to all for your replies!

I appreciate a lot all the feedback received. 😀

The idea is indeed to run the trains quite manually. Having 2 hidden stations with 2 and 3 storage yards respectively, I will active events to move the trains from one of the hidden stations to the visible one, or vice versa. Only shunting will be manual. And never there will be more than 3 trains running at the same time.

Plan is not to have signals in the conceal areas (neither m84), only in the visible ones. However I must recognize that did not thought about actually connecting the signals to the contact tracks, as in principle I was thinking about having the contact tracks only before the signals (activating them by the events), and not after, so I would need to duplicate the initially planned number of contact tracks to do so… and unfortunately the space available is limited (was difficult already to get permissions for the current one from the master of the house…).

Tips about the signals have been exactly what I was looking for. Did not know about the Schneider signals, neither about the exact decoder to use for viessmann ones. Probably I will go down that road.

Again thanks for all the advices! 😁
Offline PeFu  
#10 Posted : 09 April 2022 18:38:56(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
If you are interested in simple signals viewing only ”green” or ”red”, I can recommend this LDT decoder which can manage 8 such signals. Their other decoders and S88 modules are also great.

I also second the Schneider signals, I am using their SBB signals.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline BenP  
#11 Posted : 09 April 2022 23:26:56(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Pasquiles Go to Quoted Post
Many thanks to all for your replies!

I appreciate a lot all the feedback received. 😀

The idea is indeed to run the trains quite manually. Having 2 hidden stations with 2 and 3 storage yards respectively, I will active events to move the trains from one of the hidden stations to the visible one, or vice versa. Only shunting will be manual. And never there will be more than 3 trains running at the same time.

Plan is not to have signals in the conceal areas (neither m84), only in the visible ones. However I must recognize that did not thought about actually connecting the signals to the contact tracks, as in principle I was thinking about having the contact tracks only before the signals (activating them by the events), and not after, so I would need to duplicate the initially planned number of contact tracks to do so… and unfortunately the space available is limited (was difficult already to get permissions for the current one from the master of the house…).

Tips about the signals have been exactly what I was looking for. Did not know about the Schneider signals, neither about the exact decoder to use for viessmann ones. Probably I will go down that road.

Again thanks for all the advices! 😁

Don't connect signal to contact track. Instead, connect contact track to CS (with s88 or newer), which then tells signal to do something (with m83 or newer). Old style semaphores (lights + arm) are most fun, in my opnion. I never tried non-Marklin devices

Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP