Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BoKo  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2022 03:04:22(UTC)
BoKo

Hi guys!
I am a complete novice. I got a used Marklin train from a friend who went to Europe and I have a problem connecting the transformer to the tracks. The transformer has three outputs marked with the letters "O", "B", "L". What and how can I connect to make the locomotive go??
Can someone explain this to me?

Regards

BoKo
Offline PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2022 12:26:42(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: BoKo Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys!
I am a complete novice. I got a used Marklin train from a friend who went to Europe and I have a problem connecting the transformer to the tracks. The transformer has three outputs marked with the letters "O", "B", "L". What and how can I connect to make the locomotive go??
Regards BoKo

Hi BoKo,

Whilst it may somewhat vary a bit depending on whether you are running analogue or digital, if you are using "M", "K" or "C" track, if you have an actual “transformer” (as you say) or other “power source” or what kind of connections you have from the “power source” to the track, there remain a few generalisations, particularly when taken back to the basic principles of analogue :

- "B" stands for “Bahn” (literally “train”) but refers to the “centre rail” (= “puko/studs/active current”). The connecting wire is traditionally coloured red. This carries in analogue a variable voltage controlled by the red controller handle of 7–> 16 ~V with 24 ~V on the reverse red handle action, when compared to the “O” connection voltage of "earth" zero.

- “L” stands for “Licht” ("light") and carries a set voltage of 16 ~V compared to the “O” connection voltage of"earth" zero. It provides “power” to light and other accessory items. The connecting wire is traditionally coloured yellow.

- “O” connects to the two outer rails (“earth/ neutral”/”ground”), it is also the “earth/ neutral”/”ground” for light (L) connections. The connecting wire is traditionally coloured brown.
I am sorry but I have forgotten what “O” stands for in the German language and an internet search leaves me no more wiser (I knew in the past – a current “senior moment”, as esteemed member nevw would say!) I expect there are many fine souls here that will know the answer to that.

- if you are connecting to a standard Märklin “feeder track” connector such as these :

M track (no longer made but much on eBay):

UserPostedImage

K track :

UserPostedImage

C track :

UserPostedImage

then they have the “B” and “O” marked on the connections or have red/brown wires already connected.

- it gets a little more detailed in digital but the concepts are similar.

Please keep asking questions if this leaves you none the wiser OhMyGod

Have fun,

PJBigGrin
Offline BoKo  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2022 01:23:37(UTC)
BoKo

Hi PJMärklin

Thanks a lot for the answer. I was away for a few days and I didn't look at the forum. I started the locomotive and ..... it went. Wonderfully!!!
But I guess I'm unlucky because the locomotive only goes forward. I can only start and stop it. Is there any method for the locomotive to go forward and backward - of course not at the same time :-)? I don't know - some switch? Or maybe it has to do with the necessity to connect the output in the transformer marked "O" to both rails? I checked with an ohmmeter - both rails have a connection. Should I look for some special device? It's funny.
I looked on the internet and typed the word Märklin and there are descriptions I don't even understand. I think that I have a DC locomotive (I looked through the boxes - there are several of them), that I have M tracks and in an additional box I found some locomotives but a different system with different tracks. For now, I know that it is an H0 system and - after testing - that the Märklin locomotive will not start on tracks of the second type and vice versa. I need to read something else about it! I also have to admit that the fun is addictive :-)
I built a short set of tracks on the board to be able to test everything that is in the boxes.
Only my wife looks at me strangely. I have my years but it's probably good that the grandchildren are in another city :-)

BoKo

Btw. Can you tell me how you posted the photo on the forum? I tried to do it but saw only the subtitles so I gave up.
Offline jmcveigh  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2022 02:04:42(UTC)
jmcveigh

To change the direction of travel of the Loko, you must click the throttle knob from the 0 position to further anti-clockwise, then let go, then give the Loko some throttle. This manipulation of the throttle knob sends a reversing pulse to the Loko.
J.J. McVeigh
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2022 04:10:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BoKo Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys!
Regards BoKo

Hi BoKo,

- “O” connects to the two outer rails (“earth/ neutral”/”ground”), it is also the “earth/ neutral”/”ground” for light (L) connections. The connecting wire is traditionally coloured brown.
I am sorry but I have forgotten what “O” stands for in the German language and an internet search leaves me no more wiser (I knew in the past – a current “senior moment”, as esteemed member nevw would say!) I expect there are many fine souls here that will know the answer to that.

then they have the “B” and “O” marked on the connections or have red/brown wires already connected.

- it gets a little more detailed in digital but the concepts are similar.

Please keep asking questions if this leaves you none the wiser OhMyGod

Have fun,

PJBigGrin

Surprisingly, this is a little quirk for which there is virtually no confirmation. I know of a number of people who have tried to work out what 'O' stands for, and you are right that an exhaustive search will leave you no wiser.

Some years ago I too battled this until I quite accidently stumbled on the answer, and once I'd stopped banging my head on the wall for how obvious it was, all I could do was smile at the human tendency toward assumption.

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline PJMärklin  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2022 23:02:30(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

…I quite accidently stumbled on the answer…

OK, I think it is safe to let us know the answer Laugh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin