Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AshleyH  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2022 17:37:56(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Hi, I have been an Insider Club member for more than 20 years, but this year, post Brexit, Marklin seem unable to charge my credit card, hence my membership is blocked.

I have phoned Germany on many occasions to try and sort this, they sound like they are going to do it and there was a problem with the address, but still nothing happens. My last received mailing was the 04/21 package.
I have received my two Insider Modeks for 2021 via Lokshop, but they are now unable to place orders against my membership.

Is anybody else in the UK a current member and have had similar issues?

Today I tried to update my credit card details with a different Visa card from a different bank. It comes back with the message ‘Credit Card could not be charged. Failed 3D Secure Verifiction.

In a previous email, Marklin Club suggested I tried paying by Bank Transfer, so I contacted my bank who wanted GBP 44 to transfer to Germany, before Brexit it cost GBP 5. I may have to resort to this if all UK credit cards fail.

The last time I tried it was also impossible to order Marklin or LGB spare parts from Marklin online, as United Kingdom is not on the list of delivery countries. Perhaps this is the same issue?

Many Thanks
Ashley
Offline Mman  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2022 21:36:59(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
The trouble I had last year was not with the Märklin end but my bank (who had said euro transactions wouldn’t attract charges with their card) who repeatedly blocked the transactions - they said that ‘Gebr’ was suspicious. They also said ‘Gaugemaster’ was suspicious and blocked them. After several attempts I changed it online to my other card which is with a different bank and that went through and the outstanding issues of Insider duly turned up. Since then they have taken again for this year successfully. On the ‘phone Märklin were helpful. They only attempt to take payment once every two weeks by the way.
I read that most card companies have introduced ‘two layer authentication’ recently.
ChrisG
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2022 03:51:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I also had issues with the Insider Club when trying to renew my membership after I had received an updated credit card - same card number but different expiry date.

It took me several attempts to enter the new details with Marklin initially saying they couldn't charge to the card even though the details I had supplied were correct. Finally I re-entered the card details again, verified them through the Verification process and sent Marklin a screen shot of the verification results. Only then were they able to charge the card. A member of our Marklin Club had the same issue and had to do the same things I did to get the Insider Club to successfully charge.

Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
In a previous email, Marklin Club suggested I tried paying by Bank Transfer, so I contacted my bank who wanted GBP 44 to transfer to Germany, before Brexit it cost GBP 5. I may have to resort to this if all UK credit cards fail.

Paying by Bank Transfer can indeed be expensive. After the last time I did it a few years ago buying spare parts from KM1 for my Gauge 1 loco, I found out my bank provides the ability to do a transfer myself online without having to go to a bank branch and at much reduced cost.

The other option discussed on the forum recently and recommended by a few forum members is to use www.wise.com to transfer the money for you, which they do very cheaply.

Offline Mman  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2022 20:29:28(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Reading a message from one of my credit card banks it would appear that in future it will not be possible to use such a card for buying goods and services from Märklin and perhaps other continental firms. The message says firms will have to sign up to a two level authentication system and if they don’t then another payment method will have to be used.
The fact that Märklin only take payment on specific days and times once a fortnight contributed to my main bank keep refusing payment. I would go into the bank, sort out that they were legitimate claimants but because they didn’t try again for several days they reverted back to being suspicious.
I remember the good old days when we paid Gaugemaster for our Insider subscription.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2022 18:34:59(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
I remember the good old days when we paid Gaugemaster for our Insider subscription.
ChrisG

Yes I remember it in 1990s, I paid to join Insider club.

The is a form for Insider model 30159 (3015) Brown crocodile cost over £400 back in 1992.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.