Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mountainroads  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2022 05:50:22(UTC)
mountainroads

I've been working on my landscape forms after getting good tips from this website as well as watching multiple YouTube videos. It's all new territory for me, so I've got a test bench where I can try various techniques before applying them to the real layout. I've settled on paper towel strips painted with white glue over aluminum mesh screen as my landform base.
This works really well for me as it allows some adjusting of the landform contours after the glue dries. I've been brushing either Plaster of Paris and/or HydroCal over the hardened mesh as a top coat. My problem is the plaster mix always hardens too quickly to become easily workable (5 min or less), even if I only mix small batches. Do any of you have any experience using plaster retardants, and if so, what do you use? A little Googling turns up using vinegar, cream of tartar, or one of the commercial products for that purpose. What do some of you use to avoid that problem, or do you just work REALLY fast???

Also, I've been resurrecting some old Faller and Volmer models I built 50-ish years ago. I'm using Faller "Expert" glue and another liquid brand for repairs. Maybe I'm just too old to remember correctly, but I don't remember glue taking so long to set up. I think I used Testors back in the day, and I remember holding parts in place for maybe 5-10 seconds and I was good to move on to the next part. The new stuff needs more like 20-30 minutes to set, for each part. It would take forever to complete a whole model that way. Am I just not remembering correctly, or have things changed? I heard Testors changed their formulation, so perhaps isn't as good as it used to be, either. My wife asked" "Why not just use super glue?" It's a valid question, but I haven't tried that. Any thoughts from the group think? TIA.

- MR
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mountainroads
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2022 08:26:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi MR,

The glue formulae have changed due to health mandates.

Regarding drying time, I use rubber bands and spring type clothes pegs to hold work for drying.
Sometimes for large pieces I use two heavy objects placed in situ to hold stuff.
Heavy as in a shoe anvil, or food tins of a suitable weight.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mountainroads  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2022 18:21:43(UTC)
mountainroads

Thanks for the response and tips, Kimball. I've been doing similarly to hold things in situ. Sometimes challenging for small pieces :-)

- MR
Offline 1borna  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2022 20:25:09(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Super glue is not good for assembling larger pieces of plastic because it is easily mistaken and then there is no correction!
There are several types of gypsum that harden more slowly, such as dental plaster. I prefer to use tile adhesive and it is flexible which is firmer, depending on the thickness and temperature of the room it only hardens in half an hour or more.
Glue for exterior insulation of the house with styrofoam is also suitable.
You can see examples in the display of making my layouts (Me and my layout)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2022 20:40:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Fallers Expert sets quickly and allows you to continue building with in a minute. Wont be completely set but enough to keep going. While one part is setting the next can be sanded and prepared and ready to go. Faller does not take 20/30 minutes to set or we would never finish a large model.
If doing windows I prepare all the frames etc then apply light glue to the house side and then fit the frames. You are then ready to do the glazing on the frames the same way and there is no delay for the glue to set.
I have made hundreds of Faller models so it is just a matter of experience.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline mountainroads  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2022 22:35:15(UTC)
mountainroads

Thanks 1borna and David for your responses.

@1borna: Thanks for the tips. Will look into that and will check out your layouts.

@David: That's not my experience with the bottle of Faller Expert I recently purchased. (Parts still falling apart and lamp posts tipping over after 30 minutes of drying time.) Very frustrating and agreed - a long time would be required to complete a larger model. Hence, my question. Maybe a bad bottle??

Regards,

- MR
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mountainroads
Offline Toosmall  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2022 00:43:58(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
For plastic buildings (styrene) the solvent I use is Dichloroethane. See info down this page:

https://www.marklin-user...sts/t27449-Glue-question
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline mountainroads  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2022 03:18:06(UTC)
mountainroads

@Toosmall: Thanks!

- MR
Offline Copenhagen  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2022 13:41:16(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: mountainroads Go to Quoted Post
Thanks 1borna and David for your responses.

@1borna: Thanks for the tips. Will look into that and will check out your layouts.

@David: That's not my experience with the bottle of Faller Expert I recently purchased. (Parts still falling apart and lamp posts tipping over after 30 minutes of drying time.) Very frustrating and agreed - a long time would be required to complete a larger model. Hence, my question. Maybe a bad bottle??

Regards,

- MR

As far as I know (and also what others have stated) the Faller Expert (and also Super-Expert) is not a glue in traditional sense but it is a solvent that slightly dissolves the styrene that the plastic kits are made of. When the solvents in the "glue" vaporize the styrene hardens up again and the parts are locked together.

So the problem you're describing must be with the old kits, not the glue.
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 02 March 2022 17:38:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I just finished a small Vollmer house kit in 1 hour which included lighting. Always used Faller Super Expert. I think Vollmer Supranol will be similar. Tamiya have a very thin glue mainly used for model aircraft which joining the wing parts of a plane. Humbrol have a glue for plastic which comes with a brush but the glue tends to get where you dont want it on small parts because of the brush method.
I would not use superglue although I have used it for lamposts and pavements etc.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 02 March 2022 17:47:06(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post
There are several types of gypsum that harden more slowly, such as dental plaster. I prefer to use tile adhesive and it is flexible which is firmer, depending on the thickness and temperature of the room it only hardens in half an hour or more.

As Purellum has stated several times, you can add vinegar to the your gypsum-mix, which will slow down the curing. (I suspect any acid would do, but in any case I use apple-vinegar which smells "less" bad...)
Even though there are many advanced modelling materials better than gypsum, it's just so damn cheap and easy to come by that I keep using it.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline PeFu  
#12 Posted : 02 March 2022 18:06:35(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

As Purellum has stated several times, you can add vinegar to the your gypsum-mix, which will slow down the curing. (I suspect any acid would do, but in any case I use apple-vinegar which smells "less" bad...)
Even though there are many advanced modelling materials better than gypsum, it's just so damn cheap and easy to come by that I keep using it.

I’m going to test vinegar too… What proportion to the water have you practiced, approx.? Smile

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline mountainroads  
#13 Posted : 02 March 2022 19:13:15(UTC)
mountainroads

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. Powdered retardant is surprisingly difficult to source right now, so I'll experiment with some of the hacks displayed on YouTube: substitute 1/8 cup of vinegar for some of the water, ice cubes in water for colder water temps, etc.

I think Copenhagen might be onto my problem: The kits I'm working with date back to the late-sixties and early-seventies. Very likely the "plastics" used then were a different formulation.

- MR
Offline hxmiesa  
#14 Posted : 02 March 2022 21:19:12(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
I’m going to test vinegar too… What proportion to the water have you practiced, approx.? Smile

I haven't done any controlled tests with it. I just pour a little vinegar into the mix. Random amount. Sorry.
I did notice a significant slowdown in the curing. ThumpUp
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Toosmall  
#15 Posted : 02 March 2022 22:26:50(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Re plastic solvents.

I have used the thick glues, they are miserable things to use. They should be hung, drawn and quartered! The 99+% solvents (laboratory grade) are so mush easier to use. Just get some one way or another, bribe with a case of beer if necessary! Plus quality Sable brush & dispenser.

Capillary action takes the solvent into the joint. If there is some excess on the surface it evaporates quickly, you can blow on it to speed evaporation up before it changes pre painted surface finishes.

See link in above post (down page) on my use of solvents.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline DTaylor91  
#16 Posted : 02 March 2022 23:08:14(UTC)
DTaylor91

With plastic parts, sometimes the mold release compound is a problem. Try washing the parts in detergent and allowing to dry thoroughly, and/or lightly rough up the mating surfaces with fine-grit sand paper or a very fine file. If the parts do not mate well when dry, the solvent cannot flow well into the joint.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DTaylor91
Offline carlos.rivas16752  
#17 Posted : 06 March 2022 15:01:22(UTC)
carlos.rivas16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mountainroads Go to Quoted Post
I've been working on my landscape forms after getting good tips from this website as well as watching multiple YouTube videos. It's all new territory for me, so I've got a test bench where I can try various techniques before applying them to the real layout. I've settled on paper towel strips painted with white glue over aluminum mesh screen as my landform base.
This works really well for me as it allows some adjusting of the landform contours after the glue dries. I've been brushing either Plaster of Paris and/or HydroCal over the hardened mesh as a top coat. My problem is the plaster mix always hardens too quickly to become easily workable (5 min or less), even if I only mix small batches. Do any of you have any experience using plaster retardants, and if so, what do you use? A little Googling turns up using vinegar, cream of tartar, or one of the commercial products for that purpose. What do some of you use to avoid that problem, or do you just work REALLY fast???

Also, I've been resurrecting some old Faller and Volmer models I built 50-ish years ago. I'm using Faller "Expert" glue and another liquid brand for repairs. Maybe I'm just too old to remember correctly, but I don't remember glue taking so long to set up. I think I used Testors back in the day, and I remember holding parts in place for maybe 5-10 seconds and I was good to move on to the next part. The new stuff needs more like 20-30 minutes to set, for each part. It would take forever to complete a whole model that way. Am I just not remembering correctly, or have things changed? I heard Testors changed their formulation, so perhaps isn't as good as it used to be, either. My wife asked" "Why not just use super glue?" It's a valid question, but I haven't tried that. Any thoughts from the group think? TIA.

- MR

You can try Sculptamodl...see 14:30 here:

Regrads
Carlos

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas16752
Offline dzug  
#18 Posted : 06 March 2022 21:23:04(UTC)
dzug

Canada   
Originally Posted by: carlos.rivas16752 Go to Quoted Post

You can try Sculptamodl...see 14:30 here:

I'll second sculptamold - easy to use and so much lighter and easier to work with than just plaster. I can take a few tries (just like plaster) to get the right consistency and get used to applying and smoothing it. I haven't used plaster for bulk landscaping in well over 10 years.

Offline Toosmall  
#19 Posted : 07 March 2022 06:56:47(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I like the video. The magnets are a good idea. Never though of using them that way. I have a few spares from designing a custom GPS mount for the car.

Neodymium magnets are very dangerous, watch your fingers or you will do some serious damage. You can also get North South pairs which are handy if they are ones you need to screw or bolt on.

In Australia I got them from AMF Magnets.
Offline mountainroads  
#20 Posted : 08 March 2022 21:15:05(UTC)
mountainroads

Quick update: I tried using a little vinegar and was quite pleased with the results. Good delayed set working time, brush cleanup was considerably easier than previously, and no noticeable vinegar smell after drying. Works for me :)

I'm sticking with small batches until I get more practiced, so roughly 1 cup HydroCal, 1/3 cup cold water (3:1 Hydrocal/water.), and approximately 1 tablespoon plain white vinegar. Slurry is quite thin to start.

I use a 2 inch paintbrush to spread the plaster mix over my paper towel/white glue/aluminum screen mesh form as documented here:
FWIW, I prefer using strips of paper towel over tissue paper as I find them stronger and easier to maintain in position when brushing with the 50-50 water/white glue mixture.

I'm still not thrilled with the Faller Expert Glue. The fine tipped applicator plugged up after multiple days of use and applying heat didn't do anything to unplug it. I used wire cutters to snip the end off, but that pinched the tip and now very little comes out, so not much help there. Next step is to poach a needle from my wife's sewing kit. Will probably switch to the "Super Expert" stuff to see if I get better results. Still learning as I go :-(

- MR
Offline 1borna  
#21 Posted : 08 March 2022 21:40:13(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I use a thin steel wire (from a guitar) that I push into the tube, when I bring the flame of the lighter under the tube I push the wire all the way into the glue and squeeze. This frees the passage of glue.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline mountainroads  
#22 Posted : 09 March 2022 01:13:28(UTC)
mountainroads

I use a thin steel wire (from a guitar) that I push into the tube, when I bring the flame of the lighter under the tube I push the wire all the way into the glue and squeeze. This frees the passage of glue.

Thanks. That's a great idea. First, I'll probably need to un-pinch the orifice.

- MR
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mountainroads
Offline mountainroads  
#23 Posted : 11 April 2022 03:28:59(UTC)
mountainroads

Thanks again to all above who graciously offered suggestions and sage advice.

I think I've finally found a workable solution to my plaster application woes, after much experimentation and more than a few failings. I settled on Fix-It-All patching plaster because patching plaster has somewhat greater working time to begin with than either Plaster of Paris or Hydrocal. Plus, it's cheap and readily available. The trick is to use VERY cold water (I keep a bottle in the fridge for this purpose), not overwork the mixing, and to make the slurry more watery than seems reasonable at first. I mix 1/3 cup cold water plus a generous tablespoon of plain white vinegar, and blend that into 1/2 cup patching plaster using a 1-inch putty knife just long enough so the consistency is smooth and runny. I then use a 2-inch tapered paintbrush to apply over my dried white glue/paper towel/aluminum screen mesh landform. I tested adding a teaspoon of baking powder to this witches brew, but that didn't really make a difference other than making the plaster mix fizzy (??!!), and I worried it might compromise the plaster strength when cured.

This method takes several coats to complete because the mix is so thin, but provides good working time and allows me to address any defects in the previous coat as I go. Working with small batches simplifies cleanup between batches. So far, so good. Plenty strong when dry and no noticeable vinegar smell. Perhaps not the most modern method, but works for me :)

- MR
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mountainroads
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#24 Posted : 11 April 2022 16:16:39(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I’m currently building some modular hillsides and cliffs that can be easily removed when transporting my small layout. I started with foam, roughly carved (chopped?) into shape, then covered with plaster cloth I found at the local Hobby Lobby. I’m adding a layer of Woodland Scenics carving plaster later this week to add more detail before the final final touches of painting, weathering, adding grass, etc. I’ve used a number of approaches over the years, all of which seem to work: it’s really a matter of time and what you’re comfortable with, especially when it comes to cost (scenery materials can be expensive). Were I to build a larger layout, I’d probably use something other than Woodland Scenics materials, but for this current project, they seem to fit the bill nicely.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline Mark5  
#25 Posted : 14 April 2022 14:47:18(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Eurobahnfan Go to Quoted Post
I’m currently building some modular hillsides and cliffs that can be easily removed when transporting my small layout. I started with foam, roughly carved (chopped?) into shape, then covered with plaster cloth I found at the local Hobby Lobby. I’m adding a layer of Woodland Scenics carving plaster later this week to add more detail before the final final touches of painting, weathering, adding grass, etc. [...]

Would love to see that, Eurobahnfan. I have only begun to think about how small dioramas can be made to insert into a modular layout instead of just making a building and plopping it on the square your prepare for it, and then have it shift around. The mountain we built on our last layout was detachable but a biggish section at some 3x2+ feet. So starting to think about attaching the building to the base of the small detachable diorama, or landscaped section. You mention a need to transport your layout, do you bring your layout to train shows?
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#26 Posted : 14 April 2022 16:11:32(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I haven’t had to transport it… yet. I was looking at the modular/diorama approach as it would allow me to shift the scenery from time to time, i.e., moving from a rural township design to a small city. With lighting permanently fixed in place, exchanging the buildings without having to re-wire and drill new holes in the tabletop would be achievable. I got the idea from the toy train/O gauge layouts I’ve built over the years using scenic plots (dioramas) that could be moved about as needed. Peter H. Riddle, a Standard and O gauge enthusiast, has written a number of books about this approach. Sadly, they’re no longer in print, but you might find used copies on EBay. I recommend “Trains from Grandfather’s Attic” and “America’s Standard Gauge Electric Trains” as they will give you some useful background about this strategy.