Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mman  
#51 Posted : 12 June 2023 15:00:35(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
76FCE73F-B057-4493-9377-53652850ECED.jpegI collected my 88320 from Gaugemaster at Ford today, a long round trip with disruption to the train services on several lines.
Home again to test it on my Rokuhan figure of eight test track with 145mm curves, pleased and relieved that this long loco has no trouble with the 145mm small radius curves.
I haven’t measured the current consumption but interestingly it crawls around the circuit with the Rokuhan controller set to minimum shewing as 3.6v.
A nice quiet engine which I shall enjoy further testing on the Noch later.
ChrisG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline zscalehobo  
#52 Posted : 14 June 2023 17:24:00(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Heads up all - a recall notice was just sent out to dealers - do not operate. You will need to return it to your dealer. If your dealer is unaware refer to forthcoming email titled "Märklin Händler News Nr. 12-2023 - Rückruf V 320 Spur Z - Recall V 320 Z gauge"

The recall notice applies to 81320 and 88320
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline H0  
#53 Posted : 14 June 2023 17:35:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
Heads up all - a recall notice was just sent out to dealers - do not operate.
The warning was also sent to customers.

Quote:
Dear model railway friends,

unfortunately, we have to recall the long awaited and to a good extent
just delivered Z-gauge/ miniclub locomotives of the V320 series (item
no. 88320 Clubmodell V320 DB and 81320 V320 Wiebe-Design) as a
precautionary measure. If you have not yet received your ordered
locomotive, we ask for your understanding that the delivery to your
dealer will take some time for this reason.

Due to a possibly defective component, excessive heat may be generated in
the locomotive electronics.
Further consequential damage cannot be ruled out.

We therefore urge you not to use locomotives of these two variants
already in your possession and to return them immediately to your
dealer or the Märklin repair service.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline parakiet  
#54 Posted : 14 June 2023 18:03:15(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Just saw it on fb. Oh boy!
Offline Zme  
#55 Posted : 14 June 2023 19:58:44(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Boo hoo! I wonder what the manufacturer might say to explain this. Someone will likely say this has happened before but I don’t recall when.

Take good care and wait longer.

Dwight
Offline mike c  
#56 Posted : 14 June 2023 21:06:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Do not use this model

Return it to your dealer or to Maerklin Germany

service(at)maerklin.de

If you mail it back, use this address and include the mention "Stichwort V320 Spur Z"

Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH
Reparaturservice
Stichwort V320 Spur Z
Stuttgarter Straße 55 - 57
73033 Göppingen

Regards

Mike C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#57 Posted : 14 June 2023 23:19:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello

Boo hoo! I wonder what the manufacturer might say to explain this. Someone will likely say this has happened before but I don’t recall when.

Take good care and wait longer.

Dwight

This sounds very much like someone purchasing the electronic components has made a mistake when attempting to cover component shortages, and ordered a component with inappropriate voltage ratings. Saw that happen when I was an apprentice ... and I am now retired, so it is nothing new.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#58 Posted : 14 June 2023 23:40:07(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Appears not to have been properly tested. If bought from Gaugemaster get a refund under sale of goods act for faulty goods. Dont know how it works in other countries.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline parakiet  
#59 Posted : 15 June 2023 08:11:50(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Imagine if you bought one of ebay for 350-400 euro!
Offline H0  
#60 Posted : 15 June 2023 09:48:10(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
So what? I'd have bought it from a professional seller in Germany and there would be no problem at all.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#61 Posted : 15 June 2023 10:30:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
So what? I'd have bought it from a professional seller in Germany and there would be no problem at all.

Indeed there are many well known dealers also sell on eBay or Amazon. The problem here is with Marklin.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline H0  
#62 Posted : 15 June 2023 10:41:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Indeed there are many well known dealers also sell on eBay or Amazon. The problem here is with Marklin.
When I buy from a German professional seller, then my legally required warranty rights are against that dealer.
And in most cases Märklin will accept the invoices from those dealers, so I can use dealer warranty and manufacturer warranty.

A problem can arise if a dealer who is not registered with Märklin goes out of business.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline parakiet  
#63 Posted : 15 June 2023 13:34:17(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   

Insiders items on eBay at inflated price probably aren't the known and official M sellers ;)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline Mman  
#64 Posted : 16 June 2023 10:56:46(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Gaugemaster have contacted me to say that they are arranging for the 88320 to be collected from my house.
Also had the email from Märklin but if I deal direct with them would I be getting into cross border duties and taxes territory?
ChrisG
Offline kiwiAlan  
#65 Posted : 16 June 2023 13:05:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
Gaugemaster have contacted me to say that they are arranging for the 88320 to be collected from my house.
Also had the email from Märklin but if I deal direct with them would I be getting into cross border duties and taxes territory?
ChrisG

Yes, you are better to let Gaugemaster handle all that, that way they are handling all the customs shenanigans, and from the sound of it, saving you the cost of getting it to them as well, so it will end up being a no-cost fix to you, which won't be the case if you deal direct with Marklin.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline husafreak  
#66 Posted : 16 June 2023 15:55:44(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thank You Zscalehobo for notifying us here and also privately as my Insider dealer, also Marklin for dealing with this in a proactive manner.
I have felt a sometimes that Marklin considers Z to be a novelty and most buyers collectors, perhaps unfairly. So if your new loco runs well that is just a bonus ;) But obviously that is not the case here. Good for them making this right. Being last in line to receive these has a benefit, I won’t have to return one :)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline parakiet  
#67 Posted : 18 June 2023 08:46:22(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Yesterday another small roadtrip to return my beloved V320..
Enjoyed the weather again.

Dealer told me there were costumers who absolutely didn't want to return theirs!
Offline husafreak  
#68 Posted : 18 June 2023 16:01:31(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
No doubt!
Happy Father's Day you fathers out there :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Online marklinist5999  
#69 Posted : 18 June 2023 16:10:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Likewise to all!!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#70 Posted : 19 July 2023 21:20:07(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Just interested to hear if anyone here has received their 88320 back yet?

Any indication of what was changed?

The notice on the Marklin website is a bit ambiguous, but suggests the fix for the problem might not be known yet.

Cheers

Chris
Offline parakiet  
#71 Posted : 19 July 2023 22:29:45(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Back already? Seems way to fast 🤔
Offline zscalehobo  
#72 Posted : 17 August 2023 00:51:36(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
81320 Wiebe train set versions are arriving at US dealers today. Marklin USA confirmed these have been fixed.

No word yet on US-based Insiders 88320s ...
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline husafreak  
#73 Posted : 18 August 2023 17:12:25(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks for the update. As a former "Insider" I will continue to wait patiently for my #88320. I like the paint scheme of the Wiebe loco but the addition of the 4 car train "set" boosts the price a lot so I'll have my #88320 pulling cars I already own.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#74 Posted : 18 August 2023 18:16:14(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I agree, the Wiebe set comes with a high price tag. My vendor let me make payments starting when the set was announced. The set is in the mail now.

I would have not even considered this purchase without working out this plan. I am a big Wiebe fan also and this might explain my eagerness to come up with this idea. As a side note, there is only one other z scale Wiebe set which has been produced. I think it was made for Conrad and was only available in Europe. It was a complete set with transformer and track. I believe it came with four wagons and a nicely detailed Wiebe 218. Try to find this one, good luck. You can expect a steep price even in used condition. In the Z world , It is a rare occasion when you can use rare and cheap in the same sentence.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline parakiet  
#75 Posted : 20 August 2023 13:02:40(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Still waiting on mine repaired V320. For the time being I got my hands on a second V160. I can put them in double traction for a makeshift V320 :D

On the topic of expensive rare locomotives: saw a Sersa Br 212 getting sold for +700 euro's + auction fee + shipping. Mad! truly MAD!
Offline husafreak  
#76 Posted : 20 August 2023 17:30:45(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Check out AZL (American Z Line) sales of old brass offerings on fleabay if you want to see some really crazy pricing. Used loco’s selling for thousands of USD.
Offline Zme  
#77 Posted : 20 August 2023 19:35:52(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I believe high prices has been a popular topic recently and not one which will be ignored anytime soon. We will continue to suffer as buyers at least for the foreseeable future.

That Sersa model was only produced for one year as a MHI. It is now over 20 years old. It would not seem this would justify the price. This might have been a case where the buyer just had to have it. Perhaps it was a a well heeled Swiss buyer who needed it to compliment the Swiss track construction set.

This price will definitely throw the PriceKatlog websites data way off. It shows a maximum price of 500 for this one. Anyone know what “ Gebraucht” translates to?

This may be a case where a bigger wallet made for a super day for the seller.

Take good care. Don’t let them wear you down. Find a seller who will work with you, they are out there. I am sure the HO scalers work out something for their purchases, there are many high prices seen for their items too.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#78 Posted : 21 August 2023 00:13:14(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Gebraucht is 'used'

Now that 500 for a Sersa can be true. People on auction sites apperantly go deep for that one.

Azl goes high too, indeed. Now certain Azl are unique. And even more here in the EU!

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#79 Posted : 29 August 2023 21:14:15(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Still waiting on mine repaired V320.

I take it no-one else has received their repaired loco, either? I have to say I'm very surprised how long it is taking to deal with this - I expected the repair to be turned round in a few weeks.

As for the locomotives included in the 81320 set, can anyone comment whether the coupling height problem has been addressed?

Cheers

Chris

Offline Zme  
#80 Posted : 29 August 2023 23:50:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I got my 81320 set last week and it seems fine. Coupler height is not an issue that I noticed. I likely did not pay enough attention to this and will use both ends to make certain they are working properly.

This locomotive can easily pull 11 wagons, mixed two and four axle wagons. On a flat layout, I’m sure it will do more. Smooth and quiet, just how we like it. It seems heavy, and it is hard to believe it is not as heavy as the 232 (88136). Wiebe details are well done, but can hardly be noted on the flat wagons.

I was interested to hear if you receive the same locomotive because you had already painted the contact. It would seem there would be a large number of repaired locomotives on hand and orders/repairs could be turned around almost immediately, but what do I know.

While a bit disappointing, it was worth the extra waiting time.

Take good care.

Dwight

Edited by user 30 August 2023 04:25:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline parakiet  
#81 Posted : 30 August 2023 13:15:19(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
no news from mine. But I am not in a hurry!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#82 Posted : 30 August 2023 16:09:24(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hello, hope all is well.

I got my 81320 set last week and it seems fine. Coupler height is not an issue that I noticed. I likely did not pay enough attention to this and will use both ends to make certain they are working properly.

Dwight

I haven't noticed any problems with decoupling, either, but I the Trainini review picked up on the difference of coupling height and I can see my model is the same. For complicated reasons, I've not sent my model off yet - hence my interest in how long it's all taking!

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Zme  
#83 Posted : 30 August 2023 20:00:39(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Here is a video I believe showing the discrepancy and lower level of quality in the Märklin product line.

I had never analyzed this or even noticed this before. Sorry, no “CC” or translations on this one. Draw your own conclusions.

In a perfect world, there would not be issues like this.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline parakiet  
#84 Posted : 31 August 2023 14:57:47(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Saw the whole video now. Damned! Those Germans lost their grundlichheit.

I acquired a lot of rolling stock via second hand. I find those new cars a bit too expensive.
Haven't gotten any problems yet.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#85 Posted : 31 August 2023 20:47:31(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hello, hope all is well.

Here is a video I believe showing the discrepancy and lower level of quality in the Märklin product line.

I had never analyzed this or even noticed this before. Sorry, no “CC” or translations on this one. Draw your own conclusions.

In a perfect world, there would not be issues like this.

Take good care.

Dwight

I have noticed that coupling height is somewhat inconsistent, but I've always considered this an inevitable effect of allowing the hooks to move freely. In any case, I've not been able to attribute any rogue uncoupling (which is rare in my experience) to this.

Interestingly the Trainini review complains that the coupling sits too high - the reverse of what the video here implies!

Cheers

Chris

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#86 Posted : 30 October 2023 22:45:46(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

Surely someone has received their model back by now? Anyone?

Cheers

Chris
Offline husafreak  
#87 Posted : 31 October 2023 16:34:02(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I never got mine, I was notified by my dealer that the model was being held back, and I (or we) have not heard anything since.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#88 Posted : 31 October 2023 21:54:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I see that Joes Modellbahnladen has the yellow version in the set in stock, so the Insider version shouldn't be far away.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#89 Posted : 01 November 2023 00:20:57(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I see that Joes Modellbahnladen has the yellow version in the set in stock, so the Insider version shouldn't be far away.

I think they also have the red one (88320), don't they? I feel I sure I saw it there the other day. Which makes me all the more surprised that no-one seems to have got theirs back from repair.

Cheers

Chris

Offline parakiet  
#90 Posted : 05 November 2023 17:25:07(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
No news here
Am contemplating about that doubled pig nosed railcar..
Zme
Offline Zme  
#91 Posted : 06 November 2023 23:42:51(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

I think I need one of those too!

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#92 Posted : 09 November 2023 23:09:09(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi everyone!

To conclude my own story on this subject, Marklin kindly sent me a PCB to fit myself rather than send the loco back to Germany. I got this fitted pretty easily and everything is up and running now, which makes me very happy!

The replacement PCB is a different revision to the one that was in there and it looks like they've uprated the four diodes and added a varistor to the board. I suspect the previous revision was susceptible to high voltage spikes, such as those generated by the motor itself, resulting in voltage breakdown of the diode and their subsequent failure.

Hopefully everyone else's models will be back on the track soon, too.

Cheers

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline husafreak  
#93 Posted : 22 November 2023 02:58:10(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I am going to have mine soon! Z scale hobo says the are in the mail and I had my invoice today. A nice thing for the holidays.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#94 Posted : 22 November 2023 22:02:20(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I am going to have mine soon! Z scale hobo says the are in the mail and I had my invoice today. A nice thing for the holidays.

Excited for you - you're not going to be disappointed!

Chris

Offline parakiet  
#95 Posted : 15 December 2023 13:47:58(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Just received mine :) Should have been fixed!