Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Paul24  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2022 23:27:03(UTC)
Paul24

United States   
I've used the Forum in the past and gotten very helpful advice, so here goes again:

FACTS: I'm an old-timer who's relatively new to Marklin digital. I have controls that are 2nd generation digital – 6001/6021/6035/6040.
I get by with only elementary electrical knowledge and even less electronic knowledge.

I'm converting an analog diesel loco 3065 (serial no. 656375) to digital. The loco was new in the box and had never been used. I should have tested it with an old transformer but didn't. It looks pristine.

I wanted to do a simple conversion, without changing out the motor, so I bought a 60906 conversion kit.

I've been studying YouTube videos for guidance, and I've already removed the direction-control assembly and done some preliminary wiring. But critical wiring details get obscured in many videos, and I'm still unsure about some of the wiring. (Ironically, the most helpful video has been one by Marklin ("Der Marklin Allstrom LokDecoder 60906 . . .")— in German. The amusing YouTube translation produced terms like "hammers" and "wheat fields.")

The first steps involve the removal of old wiring, but I'm not sure I removed ALL the old wiring that should be removed before the new decoder goes in. For instance, there's a wire that goes from the rear lamp and ends up connected to a point on the motor to the left of the brushes. The inductor(?) is also connected to this point. For more on the inductor, see below.

I'm at a point where the decoder's been mounted and the red/brown and blue/green wires are connected to their proper (I hope) places. I've taken the purple, brown/red-stripe, and green/brown-stripe wires and snipped them short and bundled them. I did the same to the two orange wires (mistake?). I attached the black wire to the connection point on the old motor where the inductor is (looks like a small bundle or canister). Was that the correct connection for the black wire, and should the inductor be retained? From the wiring diagram included with the kit, I believe this is correct, but I want to verify.

I understand from the Marklin video that I need to change out the old big lamps and insert new sockets that accommodate very small 2-pin lamps so that the front and rear lights don't flicker with the new decoder. But the procedure for that wiring confuses me because the old lamps had two wires coming from (or going to) each of them, but with the decoder, I have only two wires remaining to connect: the grey one is supposed to go to the front light and the yellow one goes to the rear. In the Marklin video, the technician appears to use those orange wires as well — the ones that I put aside — but it's not clear enough for me to know for certain. Basically, I don't understand the circuitry for the lamps.

Finally, I need some help with the address for the new decoder. Is it factory-set? What is the address? Can I change it? (I have notes on how to do that). Without the address, I can't test the conversion, right? That's assuming I ever get it done.

I apologize for my vast ignorance about electrical circuitry. I have to rely on others' help, I'm afraid. Thanks for any info you can offer.

Paul24
Offline BenP  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2022 04:43:39(UTC)
BenP

United States   
My advice is to replace the old motor and reversing mechanism with permanent magnet and 5-pole. Quieter running, smoother start/stop and silent reversing. Orange decoder wire is ground for lights, that is used for both (split). Don't ground lights to track. Use 6021 to set ID, max speed and gradual start/stop.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2022 12:01:11(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
seems that you are quite close with the conversion ThumpUp. and if possible a picture of what you have done, will help to understand.
I believe the 60906 is a good choice in your case.

here are two pictures of 60906 conversions, it's not the actual locomotive but they might help you with wiring:
http://hovland.net/bilder/mj/R5_A1808.jpg
https://hovland.net/bilder/mj/501D2552.jpg

as for the lights:

to the font light, use the grey and one orange, and to the rear light, use the yellow and the other orange. make sure that the wires do not have contact with the chassis.
it should look something like this:
https://hovland.net/bilder/mj/501C2940.jpg

Does your locomotive have telex? if it does wire the red/brown and green/brown to those, (F1/aux1 is red/brown)

c.v. programming are possible with 6021: eg see this post:https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/m641764-Unlocking-extra-functions-using-6021#post641764
and this video: