Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2022 21:12:34(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi All,

For the benefit of UK subscribers, I've just noticed there are a few items at reduced price items at Gaugemaster - namely 88807, 88634 and 88635 and a couple of US outline diesels that didn't interest me!

I grabbed an 88807 as the price was too good to resist. I'm not sure the loco itself will suit my current layout (well, I'm sure it won't!) but I figure it has probably been manufactured in small numbers so may become a collectors' piece and could donate its chassis to one of my 88786 locos if I feel the need too improve its 5-pole performance.

Hope it goes without saying that I have no connection with Gaugemaster, but thought I might not be the only person here who likes a bargain!

All the best

Chris
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2022 07:13:00(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. That is a beauty., but perhaps a lightweight. The 103 might have done a better job on hills, it’s on sale too.

If necessary double traction should do the trick. My 110s will pull many when I use two.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2022 02:14:36(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Have you guys looking for pulling power ever considered a Rokuhan loco? I have one of their BR181's. It was one of my first locos. It came with Marklin couplers that needed to be installed. These have traction tires. Very nice locos. Certainly one of my very best runners. Not sure what ERA they are but they come in several colors, they have non working pantographs. Cost is equivalent to a Marklin machine here in the USA.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline husafreak  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2022 02:17:09(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Example:

BR181.jpg
Offline grnwtrs  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2022 02:32:52(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Have you guys looking for pulling power ever considered a Rokuhan loco? I have one of their BR181's. It was one of my first locos. It came with Marklin couplers that needed to be installed. These have traction tires. Very nice locos. Certainly one of my very best runners. Not sure what ERA they are but they come in several colors, they have pantographs. Cost is equivalent to a Marklin machine here in the USA.

Looks great! Never heard of the manufacturer, of course, that doesn't mean anything as I am a dunce of all this H O train stuff.
How does it run, do you use it with the Marklin rolling stock ? Is there sound and any other expression!

I'll look at my dealers options and see if they are shown. Thanks for bringing the attention to us.

Regards, gene Confused
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2022 02:47:12(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Here's the one I got: Got it from z scale hobo. He stocks them. Lots of pics and descriptions on site. It was a collaboration between Rokuhan and NOCH for the European market. It is Z scale. A DC loco, no sound. Yes it is intended to be used with Marklin rolling stock. In this picture it is probably running on a 145mm curve on a NOCH Cortina layout.

217-7.png
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2022 20:58:09(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hi. That is a beauty., but perhaps a lightweight. The 103 might have done a better job on hills, it’s on sale too.

If necessary double traction should do the trick. My 110s will pull many when I use two.

Take good care.

Dwight

Yes, it's just a shade over 26g, so not the heaviest loco in my collection, but not a bad puller all things considered. As you say, there's be nothing wrong with double heading with this one - perhaps I should have bought the other one Gaugemaster have!

I've always fancied a Br103 - I real icon of a German loco - but the red livery doesn't do it for me and I'm not ready for catenary yet!

All the best

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2022 21:01:14(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Have you guys looking for pulling power ever considered a Rokuhan loco? I have one of their BR181's. It was one of my first locos. It came with Marklin couplers that needed to be installed. These have traction tires. Very nice locos. Certainly one of my very best runners. Not sure what ERA they are but they come in several colors, they have non working pantographs. Cost is equivalent to a Marklin machine here in the USA.

Here in the UK, Rokuhan seems even trickier to get hold of than Marklin, so I've never tried one. To my eyes, they've always looked a bit crude in comparison to Marklin, though that doesn't show in your pictures, so maybe it's just a figment of my imagination!

All the best

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline zscalehobo  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2022 00:42:48(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post
Have you guys looking for pulling power ever considered a Rokuhan loco? I have one of their BR181's. It was one of my first locos. It came with Marklin couplers that needed to be installed.

Looks great! Never heard of the manufacturer, of course, that doesn't mean anything as I am a dunce of all this H O train stuff.
How does it run, do you use it with the Marklin rolling stock ? Is there sound and any other expression!

I'll look at my dealers options and see if they are shown. Thanks for bringing the attention to us.

Regards, gene Confused

Your dealer must be in the Noch dealer network as the BR181 was a collaboration driven by Noch with Rokuhan producing the model.

And on installation - it's a simple snap-in - not any surgery like MTL / AZL / Märklin couplers.

Velmo in Europe makes a DCC board for it - not sure if it has sound as he won't ship his boards to the US so I tuned out.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Zme
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2022 01:47:59(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post
Have you guys looking for pulling power ever considered a Rokuhan loco? I have one of their BR181's. It was one of my first locos. It came with Marklin couplers that needed to be installed.

Regards, gene Confused

Your dealer must be in the Noch dealer network as the BR181 was a collaboration driven by Noch with Rokuhan producing the model.

And on installation - it's a simple snap-in - not any surgery like MTL / AZL / Märklin couplers.

Velmo in Europe makes a DCC board for it - not sure if it has sound as he won't ship his boards to the US so I tuned out.

Hallo Frank,
That’s interesting and intriguing- why Velmo will not ship to US ? Could you please explain/ advise. Provide details…if this is on dealer to dealer base or private parties as well.
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline zscalehobo  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2022 07:36:33(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Sorry - not really my place to explain it - especially on a message board where words live forever. I suggest reaching out to Claudius directly en masse. More USA based people inquiring may help change his mind. Velmo.de ... Email him.

End users can buy from his listed dealer network which is all based in Europe. So you can get Velmo boards just not directly from Velmo nor from any US dealer who may be interested in offering his incredible products.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com