Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mman  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2022 17:27:56(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
7B6CFF20-95B8-4C51-8025-ABBC3B9D023D.jpeg
A while ago someone was asking about having two different circuits going through Märklin diamond crossings - but I can’t locate that thread now.
It inspired me, however, to order Rokuhan left and right hand slips to see how they performed. Since my (expensive) 30 mile away dealer didn’t have any in stock I ordered one of each from Japan at a very attractive price. They came through the letter flap today with those magic numbers in the address that meant that Customs didn’t interfere and within a remarkably short time.
They are better than Märklin slips in so much as they are either isolating or non isolating - the choice is yours, you either insert four screws or you don’t. Secondly, although sold as left and right hand the double slips themselves are identical, only the supplied cut pieces of joining track differ to define the assembly as left or right. Doesn’t explain why one was more expensive than the other, or should I say ‘less cheap’!
If only Rokuhan did switching track pieces I’d be tempted to do a full layout with their track which is as H0 C track is to K.
I don’t suppose Märklin will offer improved Z track 50 years on and I don’t suppose it would be easy to disguise the odd Märklin switching rail between Rokuhan rails so I will sit tight for the time being with the Noch Cortina sitting in my shed still un furnished with rails after several years collecting dust.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline husafreak  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2022 17:09:04(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
What are “switching track pieces”? The only switching system I am familiar with is the MTL system which uses magnets under any type of track.
Offline Mman  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2022 17:43:44(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
80EF4A4E-5569-4B4E-91D5-9879DFF2BA6A.jpeg
Sorry, in Märklin English they are ‘circuit tracks’. One in a straight, and one each in 195mm & 220mm curves.
Directional treadles in effect, operated only by locos as they pass over to make one of two switches according to direction. The switch then operates a ‘universal relay’ to allow auto working, for example.
In H0 magnets on the train can operate mercury or reed switches, would this be feasible at 1:220?
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman