Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2022 14:51:43(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi

I bought many ”bastler” Märklin steam locomotives from Germany. I thought that this 3029 is analog as it runs on analog track, but when I removed locomotive body there is still it’s old motor but with permanent magnet and this digital decoder. There are numbers 47/06/18 on it. It’s wrapped inside a black protective plastic/rubber cover. It has some acceleration delay in it now when I use it on analog track with Märklin 6647 ”white/grey” newer transformer. No dip-switches at all. I can’t get this locomotive running on digital track. I tried already to add it to my CS2 as MM2 protocol and tested all the digital addresses from 01-80. I also tried to add it to CS2 as ”Märklin programmable” or what ever it is. No luck. I tried to program it on program track with CS2. Then later I tried to add it as DCC protocol loco but again no luck. If I knew what decoder it is I could go on from there and research more.

One problem is that this loco doesn’t have lights at all so if it takes some program on track commands in it I can’t see those blinking lights that are normally seen when doing this. Another problem is that CV values end to 6 so I can’t use CV8 to reset this decoder.

I hope I can attach a few photos of this decoder to this post or to the next one.

Many thanks in advance! ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2022 15:48:38(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
looks like the stickers ESU puts on their decoders
Need to find someone with a programming track to read the CVs
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2022 15:55:36(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
looks like the stickers ESU puts on their decoders
Need to find someone with a programming track to read the CVs

Thanks Dale. So if it’s a ESU decoder my CS2 60214 can’t program it, right? There is a programming track in CS2 but I assume it doesn’t work for ESU decoders.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2022 16:05:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
So if it’s a ESU decoder my CS2 60214 can’t program it, right?
The CS2 can program DCC decoders.
Try to read CV 8 using DCC. The value 151 indicates an ESU decoder.
Then we have to find the version so you can pick the correct manual.

An ESU LokProgrammer would be helpful, but is not needed to read or write CVs.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2022 18:30:14(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
What do the numbers on the stickers indicate? On the ESU forum (see https://www.esu.eu/en/fo...or_sound_off_at_power_up ) there is a decoder with 50/06/18, but the CV8 results in Manufacturer ID of 151 and CV7 gives version 59. So no apparent relationship between the sticker and the decoder itself.

It seems that the use of CV7 as a version indicator, even by ESU, is not consistent.

I found a source of decoder ID information here -> https://www.jmri.org/xml/decoderIndex.xml
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2022 18:46:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
What do the numbers on the stickers indicate?
Two are production date: One is the year, one is the week of year. Not sure about the third.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2022 19:23:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
What do the numbers on the stickers indicate?
Two are production date: One is the year, one is the week of year. Not sure about the third.

It may well be a production batch, from which ESU could tell the decoder type.

Offline Janne75  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2022 20:18:55(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
So if it’s a ESU decoder my CS2 60214 can’t program it, right?
The CS2 can program DCC decoders.
Try to read CV 8 using DCC. The value 151 indicates an ESU decoder.
Then we have to find the version so you can pick the correct manual.

An ESU LokProgrammer would be helpful, but is not needed to read or write CVs.

Thank you Tom from these instructions. I will try this tomorrow.

Janne

Offline phils2um  
#9 Posted : 28 January 2022 01:51:38(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Looks like there are noise suppression capacitors on the motor. These may interfere with any programming attempts.
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 28 January 2022 08:48:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
Looks like there are noise suppression capacitors on the motor.
Good observation. The capacitor between the brushes should remain, but the capacitor between brush and ground should be removed according to usual ESU manuals.

Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
These may interfere with any programming attempts.
AIUI they don't interfere with programming, but could make load regulation "wobbly".

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Janne75  
#11 Posted : 28 January 2022 18:21:03(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

Unfortunately I have been too busy today so I will try all these during the weekend.

I will let you know if I will get it’s decoder programmed.

Thanks to all of you for good information. ThumpUp

Cheers,
Janne
Offline Janne75  
#12 Posted : 30 January 2022 19:28:48(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

Today I managed to program this 3090’s ESU decoder (some LokPilot version I assume?) with CS 60214 on the program track. I added this loco as DCC protocol one and from the CV list CV1 (Primary address) there was a default value of 3 like in many other ESU decoders. I changed this CV1 value to my decided digital address 39 and it started working ThumpUp . I forgot to remove that capacitor between brush and ground. I can do it later. As this loco doesn’t have headlights I don’t have that function. But it has F4 function (acceleration/braking delay off) and F3 function (half speed). I was able to program longer acceleration and braking delay like I wanted and adjust loco top speed to lower value. There was no CV8 visible. CV’s ended to CV5 and then they continued from CV15 if I remember correctly. So I don’t know which ESU decoder version this one is. I’m glad it runs now RollEyes .

I have now another project loco with also ESU decoder but as there is a loudspeaker inside the tender it must be some kind of ESU LokSound decoder. It has similar numbers on the stickers. This loco is a Märklin Primex 30031 (DRG BR 24 069) that also came with many analog Märklin ”Bastler” locos. In the background there is Märklin 3085 DB 003 160-9 steam locomotive. It came also from this same seller. It has Märklin Delta decoder with four dip-switches. This loco works ok, but I have to swap green and blue wires for motor connections so it will run to correct direction when using CS2. It doesn’t have tender body so I will try to find one somewhere. There was also a 3000 DB 89 006 with eight small dip-switch Märklin decoder. It works very well.

Here are two photos of this Märklin 30031:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This loco does not have any functions. It’s totally ”dead” even on the analog Märklin track. Motor brushes are ok and transmission/motor runs now freely when turning by hand. At first it was jammed or ”verhartz” or what is that German word? It can be that this decoder has burned if loco has been jammed and previous owner has tried to run this loco anyway. I don’t know what is the problem if the problem is not the decoder itself. I tried similarly to add this loco to CS2 as DCC protocol loco, but no success yet.

Thanks again to all from your help! Cool

Cheers,
Janne
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 30 January 2022 19:43:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I have now another project loco with also ESU decoder but as there is a loudspeaker inside the tender it must be some kind of ESU LokSound decoder. It has similar numbers on the stickers. This loco is a Märklin Primex 30031 (DRG BR 24 069)

The 30031 certainly didn't come with a sound decoder originally, so this is definitely an aftermarket upgrade. I don't know if it originally came with an analogue reverse unit or if it came with a Delta decoder.

Offline Janne75  
#14 Posted : 30 January 2022 21:09:20(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I have now another project loco with also ESU decoder but as there is a loudspeaker inside the tender it must be some kind of ESU LokSound decoder. It has similar numbers on the stickers. This loco is a Märklin Primex 30031 (DRG BR 24 069)

The 30031 certainly didn't come with a sound decoder originally, so this is definitely an aftermarket upgrade. I don't know if it originally came with an analogue reverse unit or if it came with a Delta decoder.

Hi Alan. It seems like it has been originally equipped with analogue reversing unit or electronic reversing unit. It can be a good candidate to get back a normal analogue technic if the decoder is dead. Or then I can buy a ESU LokPilot decoder for it.