Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2022 04:25:11(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I'm using an EcoS to control my layout with TrainController and I've waited for the update to the ECoS to get the turntable to work. I installed the update and the TT connected and the sounds worked but the TT wouldn't move. So I borrowed a CS3+ from a friend and connected it to the TT. The installation worked however when the initialisation process was started the TT didn't move. I suspect the motor is RS. My luck with Marklin continues to be bad - if they have a faulty product then I get it. For me to return it to Marklin will probably cost me over $100 and I think Marklin should reimburse for the postage. Also, I'll probably have to wait months for them to repair it. The TT is made in China and almost everything made is China is made to a price and you get what you pay for. Boy am I pissed Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing
WARNING - don't buy this TT - it's as fragile as an egg and it's made from cheap parts.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2022 09:30:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Sorry to hear this, this is what I'm fearing getting a product from Märklin and its faulty., the postage kills everything and you may have a warranty ut if Märklin doesn't re-emburse the postage you way off for how much its worth.
I wouldn't go as far as because its made in China, there could be some truth in it but its up to the person who instructs a company to build a turntable and when you look at all the detailed plan they supply, I'm sure they also define the materials they should use and unless you specify these essentail information suppose anything goes., if someone made a mistake its not the manufacturere or the person who initated it, its the customer who suffers and we have to pay for their errors., i remeber years ago we bought a new Ford Falcon stationwagon V 8, after 2 month the car suddenly stopped, we towed it back to a Ford dealer and they said someone put the wrong wiring into the car it was for 6 cylinder engine., just imagine you're somewhere in the outback and this happens., the one thing surprised me, even if I had noticed it, the service mamager told me they've couldn't have done anything about unless the car showed a fault.

looks like you have to suffer from other people mistakes.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2022 10:38:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
I'm using an EcoS to control my layout with TrainController and I've waited for the update to the ECoS to get the turntable to work. I installed the update and the TT connected and the sounds worked but the TT wouldn't move. So I borrowed a CS3+ from a friend and connected it to the TT. The installation worked however when the initialisation process was started the TT didn't move. I suspect the motor is RS. My luck with Marklin continues to be bad - if they have a faulty product then I get it. For me to return it to Marklin will probably cost me over $100 and I think Marklin should reimburse for the postage. Also, I'll probably have to wait months for them to repair it. The TT is made in China and almost everything made is China is made to a price and you get what you pay for. Boy am I pissed Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing
WARNING - don't buy this TT - it's as fragile as an egg and it's made from cheap parts.

Did you buy it through a local dealer? You should get warranty service from them, not send it back to Germany.

Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2022 12:41:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Did you buy it through a local dealer? You should get warranty service from them, not send it back to Germany.

No, I bought from a German dealer. I've waited so long for this TT and now I'm thoroughly disappointed. I've got a lot of faulty Marklin products that are out of warranty and I think I'll package it all up and send it to Marklin so that they can see how much money I've wasted buying their products. Really, Marklin boast that they are the best in the world - I'd hate to see the worst.
Offline HO Collector  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2022 22:31:23(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
apologies for the silly question but what is this TT?
Offline Bogenschütze  
#6 Posted : 24 January 2022 23:11:06(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post

Turntable. BigGrin
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2022 23:25:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I assume it is the new C track turntable, but Drongo hasn't been specific on this point.
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 25 January 2022 05:19:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

Unfortunately there is no warranty service in Australia, all faulty items are getting sent back to Germany and there is no repair fascility in Australia, all you do (if you decide to send it back to Germany) is delaying the process for another week or two, in the early days around the year 2000 you had to return the whole loco to get repaired (faulty gearlight electronic unit) and if you didn't they didn't repair it (Märklin Germany).
An earlier Australian sole importer from Sydney made no attempt to fix another loco of mine (DB Br E19), it just didn't run right, so I've sent it to him [paid postage] (didn't touch it so I don't lose the warranty) and he said he couldn't find any fault and sent it back, I than dismantled the loco and found one of the cogwheels not having cogs on one side at all, so this is the service I got from a sole distributor.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Drongo  
#9 Posted : 25 January 2022 05:28:00(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   

I assume it is the new C track turntable, but Drongo hasn't been specific on this point.

Sorry for not mentioning that it's the new TT 74861
Offline eduard71  
#10 Posted : 25 January 2022 14:16:54(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   

Have you followed all the complex process of instalation and adaptation this TT need to have? In the videos from Marklin and some from others I see there is a lot of fine tuning to do to make it work.

Kr,

Offline rbonet  
#11 Posted : 25 January 2022 15:59:11(UTC)
rbonet

Spain   
Hi Drongo, all,

Although I agree with some critics, I'm, in general, satisfied with the 74861. I'm using CS3 and Rocrail. I've a video on Youtube showing what my T does:
(not a great video, I agree).

In order to debug what it is happening to your TT, it may help to use a MS2 to send direct commands to the TT.

By the way, is the 74861 currently supported by Train Controller?

Rafael

Collecting Era I, II & III, mainly German, French & Spanish RR, some USA
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbonet
Offline Ross  
#12 Posted : 25 January 2022 23:31:25(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Greg,

Did you unlock the TT?

It won't switch to rotate unless the TT is unlocked.

Drongo wrote:

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline Mr. Ron  
#13 Posted : 26 January 2022 06:47:24(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I would be very disappointed with Marklin if they sold me a bad product. China is known for making junk but is also known for making high quality products. It's up to Marklin to ensure the Chinese manufacturer is using quality parts. If they are doing their job like they should, there should not be any difference between Chinese made and the original German made. I blame Marklin fully if the Chinese made product fails and Marklin should make good on the warranty.
If Marklin wants to keep selling trains, they have 2 options. 1. Honor any warranty on the Chinese made product. 2. Drop the prices on their trains. Marklin built their reputation on quality made trains but having them made in China and failing to maintain quality puts their reputation at risk. The main reason why I buy Marklin trains is their quality. Once the quality fails, I will no longer buy Marklin and certainly not at their high prices.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 26 January 2022 09:26:19(UTC)
H0

When buying from German dealers, then maybe you can insist on sending the TT back to the German dealer and make them refund the postage costs.
IANAL but I think you are entitled for such a refund.
You cannot expect Märklin to refund the postage if you didn't buy from their web shop.

Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
If they are doing their job like they should, there should not be any difference between Chinese made and the original German made.

I don't know where the previous "Märklin" turntable was made and is being made. It is a Fleischmann product and it is still available.
The new turntable is a new design. It seems the new design is somewhat delicate.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline grnwtrs  
#15 Posted : 28 January 2022 01:46:21(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   

No, I bought from a German dealer. I've waited so long for this TT and now I'm thoroughly disappointed. I've got a lot of faulty Marklin products that are out of warranty and I think I'll package it all up and send it to Marklin so that they can see how much money I've wasted buying their products. Really, Marklin boast that they are the best in the world - I'd hate to see the worst.

I had a issue with a CS2 I bought from a German Dealer, M S L, I forgot what the exact issue was, but when I notified them,(MSL) They instructed me to package the unit up, insure it, (I think) and send it to them at the lowest cost freight. They also asked that I provide them with the cost of my returning it to them. give them. The would reimburse me for the postage (freight) . I asked for the reimbursement thru my "points account"

A week later the CS2 was returned to me, could not have been to bad of a problem, and I was very happy with the financial arrangements, and the Dealership. (shop?)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 28 January 2022 10:57:25(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg,

Did you unlock the TT?

It won't switch to rotate unless the TT is unlocked.

Drongo wrote:

I tried to the lock/unlock icon, but that doesn't work either.

Regards
Greg
Offline JohnjeanB  
#17 Posted : 28 January 2022 17:02:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi Drongo
It may be different for you but here, in the EU, if I notify Lippe (MSL) about a shipment for warranty repair, they send me a label to post on the package and then it becomes free of charge.
Regarding the turntable, unless it has been damaged during shipment or mishandled during installation, chances are the TT is fine. The re-initialisation may help a lot.

Have you tried operation with DCC?
Have you checked the digital feed?
Have you tried operating the TT while in its packaging?
Here is the TT opened by a friend of mine (Julaye)
74861 axe plaque.jpeg74861 plaque demontee.jpeg
Very good high quality stuff made in Germany.

The TT is especially sensible to non-flat installation (warped plywood base plate) or lateral constrains on the side (by the hole or by access track pushing, pulling or torquing on the TT.
I hope you will solve the issue
ATTENTION: there is a latch by a servo motor which may prevent the rotation of the bridge (See last picture bottom left). The latch must be free to unlatch (by software) before any movement may be considered.
Another thing to pay attention to: the registering tabs (to distinguish between access tracks and simple pit border) must be fully home (normally not a problem unless you start moving them. Access tracks must also be fully home, latched into the TT base plate.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Ross  
#18 Posted : 28 January 2022 21:27:54(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Greg,

Has the bridge ever moved, do all the sounds and lights function?

What protocol are you using to run the TT?

Check to see that the decoder is seated on the plug.

Regards
Greg

Ross
Offline Drongo  
#19 Posted : 31 January 2022 03:09:59(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Greg,

Has the bridge ever moved, do all the sounds and lights function?

What protocol are you using to run the TT?

Check to see that the decoder is seated on the plug.

Regards
Greg

Hi Ross,
I had another attempt with the TT using a CS3+ and here's the results.
The TT registered alright and I tested the sounds and the lights and they worked. I then proceeded to initialise the TT and the CS3 went into operation however the bridge did not move. Strangely, the CS3 showed the correct entry/exits. I then went into edit mode to try and unlock the TT and turn the bridge by hand - no movement. When I try to move the bridge using the CS3 I get the sound 3 beeps in the low tone (no good). It appears that the unlock icon doesn't work. I have no idea why the TT won't work, except to say that there's a problem with the decoder and/or the motor.
Regards
Greg
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 31 January 2022 09:30:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Very good high quality stuff made in Germany.
Really? What does the "Made in..." sticker on the box say?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#21 Posted : 31 January 2022 12:35:48(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Independent of where it was Made in, it most probably was designed and developed in Germany (or at least Europe) and that is the most important.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Ross  
#22 Posted : 01 February 2022 00:01:53(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Greg,

There is a new firmware update 4.2.10 for the ECoS

Edited by user 01 February 2022 04:06:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ross
Offline Drongo  
#23 Posted : 02 February 2022 12:35:00(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Greg,

There is a new firmware update 4.2.10 for the ECoS

Thanks Ross. I borrowed a friend's CS3 and connected the TT to it. He tried to get the TT bridge to move and he couldn't get it to unlock. There's a problem with the TT so I'm sending it back tomorrow. I'm quickly losing interest in Marklin's crappy products - if I going to get inferior stuff then I can buy cheaper, much cheaper and if it works then I have a winner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Drongo