Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2022 15:10:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I have an Intercity newest long car 4 unit consist with current conducting couplers. It was tracking just fine last fall. Now being winter, my basement is 7 to 10 degre's cooler. I took the train out of it's storage bin yesterday, and the 43630 cab control car is derailing on the rear bogie on level
R3 C track curves. Not R2's. I checked the wheels and pick-up shoe, and all look ok. Not crooked or bent. The direction of travel makes no difference. Even on the R1 curves and turnouts, it goes through smoothly.
Any thoughts?
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2022 15:36:04(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
temperature (and humidity) difference may be distorting the track
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2022 16:04:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thabk's Dale I checked, and the track is flat through the tunnel.
Online rhfil  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2022 16:59:33(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Check to see if the bogie moves freely. I had passenger cars that were derailing and the cause was the bogie sticking and causing the wheels to come off the track on corners. I worked them and lubricated them to remove the obstruction and the problem went away Try removing the lok and then moving the passenger cars slowly around the curve while watching the wheels. If some come off the track you have the same problem.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2022 17:40:25(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Märklinist5999
I have the same issue on many of my Märklin Passenger cars.
What happens?: The cars were derailing without apparent cause (derailing never happens on C Track). The coupling and its short coupling mechanic has become very stiff. All of those are equipped with the Märklin contact blade to bring power to the coupler pocket.

On Which cars?: DB passenger cars, Swiss passenger cars

Many of these Trains were not rolling for a while (a few month) in a zone where temperature can drop below 0°C

Fix? I don't know yet I need to open the stiffest car. Note: in the past I have sprayed some contact spray. Did it cause the issue? I am not sure.

So some work for the next train session (less than 2 weeks time I hope)

Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2022 17:58:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank you everyone!
Online rhfil  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2022 18:02:17(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I applied a teflon spray anywhere plastic parts rubbed against each other in a curve. I needed to remove the bogie to spray the area under it. I wish I could find a lubricant spray, teflon, graphite, or substitute which was more controllable. The large sprays need to be carefully controlled.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2022 20:33:26(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I had one car's coupler guides that were not moving easily at both ends. I used a needle applicator and light plastic compatible synthetic oil. I think I got it to flow inside thebottom of the guide.
Offline DTaylor91  
#9 Posted : 18 January 2022 04:07:05(UTC)
DTaylor91

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
I applied a teflon spray anywhere plastic parts rubbed against each other in a curve. I needed to remove the bogie to spray the area under it. I wish I could find a lubricant spray, teflon, graphite, or substitute which was more controllable. The large sprays need to be carefully controlled.

Say no more! I mainly use their teflon grease, and for more than just model railroad applications:

https://labelle-lubricants.com/model-train-lubes/

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DTaylor91
Offline danmarklinman  
#10 Posted : 20 January 2022 17:45:05(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DTaylor91 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post

Say no more! I mainly use their teflon grease, and for more than just model railroad applications:

https://labelle-lubricants.com/model-train-lubes/

Hi, it’s not the actual couplers catching the buffers is it? It has happened to me in the past, and it turned out to be that!! No more problems after I removed the top part of one coupler. Not ideal I know. Those me close couplers from Marklin may be an answer to this.
P.S all the derailments were as you discribed. Or against only one design of Marklin loco, we’re the buffers are lower than there coupled with wagon?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 20 January 2022 20:09:04(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's Dan! I checked that all the buffers are pushed all the way in. They were. I think it's the colder ambient temperature. Yesterday it was 20 degres warmer outside and they didn't derail at least in one direction. Now today it's colder again, and they are derailing on R3's, but not R2's. I applied synthetic lube on tuesday, and it was thicker than in summertime. My basement is 7 to 10 degres coolere than my main floor.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline danmarklinman  
#12 Posted : 21 January 2022 07:44:12(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Thank's Dan! I checked that all the buffers are pushed all the way in. They were. I think it's the colder ambient temperature. Yesterday it was 20 degres warmer outside and they didn't derail at least in one direction. Now today it's colder again, and they are derailing on R3's, but not R2's. I applied synthetic lube on tuesday, and it was thicker than in summertime. My basement is 7 to 10 degres coolere than my main floor.

You will just have to persuade your loved ones to move it into the dining room to keep warm, like me 😆😆😆Not sure how I managed that to this day. 🤔😁
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman